Am I the only 1 disappointed ??

I've posted this on a FB group but with no reaction after a few days i ve decided to join you, at least for this question. Sorry SI, but i'm not very pleased :/, considering your proven abilities and resources. Though i still keep playing the game and enjoying it ;), as a real fan :). Apologies for my english, i'm French.

I ve played only five games so far, I admit there are several progress, but also many bad points which make me disappointed:

- First team includes Reserve and Youth (unless i missed something, but in the filter i cant clic or unclic these teams from the first team page)

- Skins are either cold, sad, ugly (white), or eyes killing, tiring (dark)...

- Many buttons are badly placed ("Continue" on the right corner when you never need to go there except for that)

- Many pages are bad placed : history for a player while you have all the other useful information on a same folder (i guess to have history as a folder with several shortcuts, but useless shortcuts) ; ths shortlist/transfer folder (including shortlist shortcut) is not always clicable straight, you have to go first on your default page if you re not already on it, finding it under your name... ; in a game "home or away stats" are in stats folder, so 2 clics are required while its my favourite page after a game (ratings used to be the default page after a game a few versions ago, and we could see the assists on a clic, i miss this time) ; and some others that i dont have in mind right now

- In history, the only page with no "view" options, you still cannot chose to view the overall games played (including cup games, and maybe non competitive games), i guess because they didnt have the information for most players on non competitive games so comparisons with former years would have been biaised, but so what ? In former years we cant compare assists and we deal with it. I would have preferred at least to have the choice, as i like to compare with former years, and i like to include at least cup games, like in former FM versions (not 2009, not sure for the other recent ones, but itused to be like that in the past).

- Comparison is still so improvable : sometimes player are sorted by first name ?? By default you never fall on a player playing at the same position (thus no chance anyway to fall straight on the player you wish to compare with, where is the AI here)

- Comparisons now show a very small draw of strenghts, if you dont chose attributes, so thanks for killing our eyes here

- In the news, player (and team) names are still not in bold, while it's the main information you look for first to see if the news will interest you...

- In the game, after an action if you missed the player name, it's not recalled. For instance you have "he" should have scored or "the ball went far", ok cool but by who ? 2009 had the same issue while former versions didnt...

- You still cannot scout a player at a different position than his best one. Only once you have him, you can have an idea of how good he would be at his other playable positions (well if it was a choice to make it real then ok but not sure of that, and still, not sure it makes it more real)...

- You still cannot add "description" ("wonderkid" and so on) in research criteria, while the information is available by a clic, so its just some time wasting (though the game might be too easy with that, if it has been the reason why, i could deal with it).

- In training page, you dont have players position by default, so you have to know all of them by heart, otherwise you ll again waste some time...

- For injuries, you still have to clic on what you want to send the player to (physio or home and so on), while you always do the same choice, so it could have been settable for all injuries, and while i'm sure everybody does the same, so this useless, time wasted and not interesting at all option should actually have been totally deleted from the game.

- Parameting (subscribing) news is a good idea, but i wish we could have done that for the inbox too (and actually have only one inbox, totally settable, instead of two separated ??). So that we could go even faster.

- I dont like (so far, as its more time wasting than useful for me) the new tactic options (setting support for a player and so on, or shouting at the team during a game), and i wish we could have chosen to use them or not (well i dont, and i win without -ok i have a good team, Man City-, so fine so far but what if..), and not being penalysed for sure for not using them

- and other things that i dont have in mind right now

Seriously why didnt they keep the 2009 version, update it with new rosters and player strenghts, with some sure improvements, and take no risk on new things ? As i dont like most of new things, new look, most of choice they made.

I look forward to reading your comments guys, something constructive, your reactions on the different points i ve outlined. Im really thinking of using my 2009 version with updating teams & ratings (i wish a patch just for that could be done actually...)

I should try to sum up all my wishes in the wishlist post one day, but it would take ages not to forget anything. And would it be worth it, when i can be so disappointed ??

A lot of people are equally disappointed. Your English is very good, better than many of the native speakers on here. :)

Definitely, your English is great :thup: Had no troubles reading it what so ever.

To be honest, I am not really disappointed in this years edition but a lot of people are, for me it is one of the best, along with FM07 which really got me into the series more than ever!

To be honest I want to love every new FM each year but I've got to admit to becoming more dissolutioned recently. I think all that you've metioned are relatively minor allbeit annoying faults. My frustration with the game is the trend of trying to make the AI tactics unbrakeable to beat the hardcore crackers, therefore alienating casual gamers like me.

I've posted this on a FB group but with no reaction after a few days i ve decided to join you, at least for this question. Sorry SI, but i'm not very pleased :/, considering your proven abilities and resources. Though i still keep playing the game and enjoying it ;), as a real fan :). Apologies for my english, i'm French.

I ve played only five games so far, I admit there are several progress, but also many bad points which make me disappointed:

I look forward to reading your comments guys, something constructive, your reactions on the different points i ve outlined. Im really thinking of using my 2009 version with updating teams & ratings (i wish a patch just for that could be done actually...)

Thank you for taking the time to write this message, thought I'd respond to some of these issues where I can :thup: Also your English is very good

- First team includes Reserve and Youth (unless i missed something, but in the filter i cant clic or unclic these teams from the first team page)

Reserves and Youth should not be showing by default on your player screen, are you sure the filter option has not been set?

-Skins are either cold, sad, ugly (white), or eyes killing, tiring (dark)...

All i'd ask is that you give the skins a little more time than 5 games. However if you still don't like them there are plenty of community skins which you may like

- Many buttons are badly placed ("Continue" on the right corner when you never need to go there except for that)

As above this is getting used to the new skin and the complete change of layout. Personally I mostly use spacebar to continue, but find the continue button to be in a more natural place than in fm09

- Many pages are bad placed : history for a player while you have all the other useful information on a same folder (i guess to have history as a folder with several shortcuts, but useless shortcuts) ; ths shortlist/transfer folder (including shortlist shortcut) is not always clicable straight, you have to go first on your default page if you re not already on it, finding it under your name... ; in a game "home or away stats" are in stats folder, so 2 clics are required while its my favourite page after a game (ratings used to be the default page after a game a few versions ago, and we could see the assists on a clic, i miss this time) ; and some others that i dont have in mind right now

There have been some major changes for sure and not all of them are to everyone's liking, and not all of them have been completely sucessful. Player ratings is now the default page after a match but there are definately things that can still be improved. Once again though this is a lot to do with personal taste.

- Comparison is still so improvable : sometimes player are sorted by first name ?? By default you never fall on a player playing at the same position (thus no chance anyway to fall straight on the player you wish to compare with, where is the AI here)

When comparing GK's you do have only players who play in thatposition as selectable, you would like similar functionality for other positions? Personally I think that could become quite constrictive as I quite often want to compare players who actually play in slightly different positions to see if one has good enough stats to act as cover in that position. Also as the list only shows a set number of names it is never hard to find the player that you want to compare against

- Comparisons now show a very small draw of strenghts, if you dont chose attributes, so thanks for killing our eyes here

Sorry not sure I understand this

- In the news, player (and team) names are still not in bold, while it's the main information you look for first to see if the news will interest you...

Personally I think having these in bold would look out of place. I think the fact they are capitalised draws your attention to them enough.

- You still cannot scout a player at a different position than his best one. Only once you have him, you can have an idea of how good he would be at his other playable positions (well if it was a choice to make it real then ok but not sure of that, and still, not sure it makes it more real)...

Totally agree that this functionality would be a very welcome addition. Hopefuly this will make it into a future version

- You still cannot add "description" ("wonderkid" and so on) in research criteria, while the information is available by a clic, so its just some time wasting (though the game might be too easy with that, if it has been the reason why, i could deal with it).

I can confirm this is because we are wary of making it too easy to find the best players in the game. These labels are there as aids for the manager but if you were simply able to search out every "wonderkid" in the database it would become very simple I imagine

- For injuries, you still have to clic on what you want to send the player to (physio or home and so on), while you always do the same choice, so it could have been settable for all injuries, and while i'm sure everybody does the same, so this useless, time wasted and not interesting at all option should actually have been totally deleted from the game.

The idea of setting a repeatable action for this is one I like

- Parameting (subscribing) news is a good idea, but i wish we could have done that for the inbox too (and actually have only one inbox, totally settable, instead of two separated ??). So that we could go even faster.

This is still very much a work in progress. The News Centre and the Inbox definately need further work to get them working more effectively

- I dont like (so far, as its more time wasting than useful for me) the new tactic options (setting support for a player and so on, or shouting at the team during a game), and i wish we could have chosen to use them or not (well i dont, and i win without -ok i have a good team, Man City-, so fine so far but what if..), and not being penalysed for sure for not using them

Whilst you have only played 5 games and may find you change your mind, if you set "revert to classic mode" on the tacics page you can use the fm09 tactics without being penalised whatsoever. I'm a big fan of the sliders myself and often find myself reverting to the old system

Hope that my responses are helpful, and that you continue to enjoy the game in spite of the issues you've expressed here :)

Re: Scouting players in their non-native postitions.

Whilst I agree, it would be good to be able to see how the D R/L plays at left back, I would argue that your scout only gets to see him play during the game, where he is playing in one position (for example DR).

It's only when you get him to the club that you can see him in training and get a better idea of how he'd do in other positions.

Does that make sense? (obviosuly not the official answer, but it makes sense in my head).

With regards to the Continue button, I quite like it where it is - it's out of the way so it's harder to click on by accident.

But as others have said - your English is very good indeed :-)

I must say I am really enjoying this years game. I have found the user interface a bit longer to get used to and I still have trouble finding some things I need but I am all for any change that is better for FM. SI have said they did a lot of user compatability testing with an expert firm so there must be some good in it. The one thing I will say is that I think the continue is in the right place. I spend a lot of time at the top of the screen so it's usually a quick flash of the mouse over to continue and I'm on.

There is of course also the spacebar for further ease. I can't understand the comments of the guy that said his mouse was right next to him but it took too long to move it to continue and too long to sit up a bit for spacebar. I could suggest you get a programmable mouse and program spacebar to the mouse. I'm sure you can do that.

I was going to come up with more answers to your points, OP, but Robbie S beat me to it. I'm very much impressed that SI can be honest about what they feel needs changing and what they are happy with. It shows a dev team that care and want to make this game pleasing for all players.

It sounds to me like you just need to get used to the skin for a lot of your disappointments to be left behind. You mentioned the comparision screen and Robbie wrote that he wasn't sure what you mean. I suspect you mean that you only use the graph to compare and find the screen with all the numbers hard to look at. Unfortunately I'd have to say that you can't blame SI for that. I did find the bright screen hard work on my eyes but the dark one is very nice and comfortable to look at. Perhaps you just need to adjust your screen settings to find an optimal viewing.

There are also many options out there for new skins. Have a look in the Skinning Hideout and you'll find many. A lot of people have been able to change things so attributes have different colours depending on how high or low they are. That makes the better ones stand out. Maybe someone has done more work on the comparisons screen.

I am pleased you didn't mention tactics and that makes me think you are happy with the match engine but are just finding the interface hard to get used to as well as you would like more options. The best you can do is try to find a compromise in the fanbase made skins and take more time to get used to the look of the game. Hopefully it will come to you in time.

I just wanted to comment on one specific disappointment of yours before I write an essay. You said:

In the game, after an action if you missed the player name, it's not recalled. For instance you have "he" should have scored or "the ball went far", ok cool but by who ? 2009 had the same issue while former versions didnt...

I assume you are watching the game on just commentary from what you say. I have noticed that players names are often only mentioned in the original commentary and I'm not sure you'd get the option to replay. You could use the 3D match graphics if your computer is up to it. Aside from looking nice you can replay any bit of play and you can click on a player on a pitch to get his name to flash up. It's very handy for checking what happened.

I'll also add that FM09 and FM10 have seen the game move on to 3D match graphics and I guess that has left SI to decide that they no longer need to spend a lot of time on the commentary. I mean why should they forgo work on improving the new to keep the old going. The 3D is their new bit and they want to make it as good as it can be.

It does appear as though you want to speed through the game and get through matches and seasons as fast as possible. Sometimes you just need to slow down for the game to sit comfortably. I hope it grows on you though.

Whilst I agree, it would be good to be able to see how the D R/L plays at left back, I would argue that your scout only gets to see him play during the game, where he is playing in one position (for example DR).

It's only when you get him to the club that you can see him in training and get a better idea of how he'd do in other positions.

Does that make sense? (obviosuly not the official answer, but it makes sense in my head).

With regards to the Continue button, I quite like it where it is - it's out of the way so it's harder to click on by accident.

But as others have said - your English is very good indeed :-)

I believe that scouts do comment on a player's other possible playing positions. The game is not in front of me so I can't say for definite but a scout report will say 'J Bloggs plays best at right back but could also be utilised in central defence or as a wing back' etc etc.

I think it is safe to say the more scouting you do of a player then the more information you will get. I get a lot of players in on trial through the season to. I have the bonus that the league I'm in allows me to play triallists but they could play reserves anywhere.

To be honest I often play players anywhere I think they may be comfortable. Of course I am at such a level where the scores are often more level and the results are down to physicality as well as skill. I often play one of my DR/CM players on the right wing and he's never had an abyssmal game.

Much depends on the quality of your scouts too.

For sure not disappointed , of course there are parts of the game (you can not skip) i don't like at all but still are not game killers.

Space bar is what i use but it should only respond to current action, for example if i am browsing the news double hitting it shouldn't take me into the start of the next match.

You are right it definitely mentions where else they can play.

However, in the scout report it compares the player to the best player currently in that position: eg. "John Smith is not at the level of our best right back" etc and then goes on to talk about their potential.

What you can;t do until you've bought the player is get the same information regarding the potential signings other position.

For example in my Man C game I've already bought a decent RB, now looking for a replacement for Bridge at LB.

A couple of people I've scouted can play R/L or C/L - if their main posistion is RB then they will compare him to my player in that position.

Not saying this is wrong (see my earlier post), but I think this is what the original poster was refering to

Hello,

Thanks for all your replies.

For the english, i have to admit i ve been living in London for almost two years now, so it helps to improve :-), and i also spent a few time to try to correct myself. I wont right now (it's too late, sorry).

Anyway, thanks for SI staff's feedback and the other interesting replies. I'll go further then.

Reserves and Youth should not be showing by default on your player screen, are you sure the filter option has not been set?

I'm not sure. I guess no, as i am apparently the only one affected. Where do i find them ? In "filters" on my first team page, i only have "players at the club", "away from the club", and other things but nothing to do with hidding reserve and youth team.

All i'd ask is that you give the skins a little more time than 5 games. However if you still don't like them there are plenty of community skins which you may like

Since i first posted the message, i ve played a lot more games now. I've reached the winter mercato :-). And i still don't like the skins. Maybe it is related with the team i'm managing (Man C) ? Anyway i'll definitely try to get a new skin from the website.

There have been some major changes for sure and not all of them are to everyone's liking, and not all of them have been completely sucessful. Player ratings is now the default page after a match but there are definately things that can still be improved. Once again though this is a lot to do with personal taste.

I think player ratings is the default page only when you go on Stats page (after a first clic), but by default (0 clic) you have something else (dont remember what, the game is not running yet :)), while ratings did used to be the default page in the first versions of the game (and stats, including assists and other rates, used to be one clic away). What would be cool here would be to be able to customize the after game page, as we are for most of the other pages of the game.

When comparing GK's you do have only players who play in thatposition as selectable, you would like similar functionality for other positions? Personally I think that could become quite constrictive as I quite often want to compare players who actually play in slightly different positions to see if one has good enough stats to act as cover in that position. Also as the list only shows a set number of names it is never hard to find the player that you want to compare against

Of course i would like the same functionality for every positions. When i buy a player, it is usually to improve a position's current or potential level. Anyway, i ve no reason to compare a AML with a DC. I wish some AI could be used here, by comparing by default the target player against your team's top player at his natural/best position. Or at least against the previous player viewed (when you click on "comparison", so not the one under scounting, it currently seems to take the chronological player by first name order :s, among the recent players viewed).

Sorry not sure I understand this

anagain is right :

I suspect you mean that you only use the graph to compare and find the screen with all the numbers hard to look at. Unfortunately I'd have to say that you can't blame SI for that. I did find the bright screen hard work on my eyes but the dark one is very nice and comfortable to look at. Perhaps you just need to adjust your screen settings to find an optimal viewing

I dont find numbers hard to look at, i'm a lover of figures, stats and anything like that. It's just that draws gather several figures together (for instance : jumping + heading in draw's header, and so on), and i feel draws are most of the time largely enough to have a brief idea of the difference of level. When the two players look very close, then only i m ok to go deeper with figures. I would waste a lot of time by comparing figures all the time... And graphs (new feature since fm2009) appear to be very small and eyes killing now, for no logical reason...

Personally I think having these in bold would look out of place. I think the fact they are capitalised draws your attention to them enough.

What do you mean "look out of place" and "capitalised" ? I think only initials are capitalised ? It doesnt help with drawing my attention enough at all. Then i feel time to see whether the news will interest me or not isn't worth it for some type of news (only a few of my players affected by these types of news will interest me, say 5/10%), then i skip these types of news for all players...

Totally agree that this functionality would be a very welcome addition. Hopefuly this will make it into a future version

Great. Please dont forget my name in credits :). Jokign^

It could make sense (that's why i could be fine with dealing with it), but a player who can play at other positions has a level at these other positions and this level is known by scouts from teams interested in the players, i mean isnt it the basics of their job. Otherwise do not put any other position at all in the player's profile until you get him. Also, you can watch any games in the past as they are all recorded and accessible to scouts, so scouts could watch them playing at the other positions.

And yes Theriddler got what i meant. You have only the 2nd best playable position of the player, but not his level (it only says if he is natural ("equally") or "could be used at", which is accomplished, but "position" page already gives this information, though it's not bad to recall them here), but we indeed have only two positions, a very brief idea of the level, and uncomplete (no potential information, no level comparison with top players at his other playable positions).

I can confirm this is because we are wary of making it too easy to find the best players in the game. These labels are there as aids for the manager but if you were simply able to search out every "wonderkid" in the database it would become very simple I imagine

Then it's ok for me, and good to know (for the confidence in SI and so on) that it was not an oversight :-)

The idea of setting a repeatable action for this is one I like

To go further, for example if you dont want to reveal some possible strategies, some AI could be used here. I guess there are different strategies at this point. Mine is to always put a specific oppotion instruction depending on the oppotion player's position. Some AI could recognised my strategy and then setting them by default after 10 games or something. If you do a survey in your testing teams to get all the strategies here, you could set the AI to recognize all the possible strategies. If you dont mind revealing strategies, then you can offer to set it using all the possible strategies.

The idea could be used the same for treating injured players (should it be kept..).

This is still very much a work in progress. The News Centre and the Inbox definately need further work to get them working more effectively

Yeah it's a new feature but looks to have been done quite quickly. I hope it's not meant to make us buy the next version (2011). The 3D engine has been launched in 2009 and was already excellent. Too bad it was not the case for all new features.

Whilst you have only played 5 games and may find you change your mind, if you set "revert to classic mode" on the tacics page you can use the fm09 tactics without being penalised whatsoever. I'm a big fan of the sliders myself and often find myself reverting to the old system

Great news, havent seen it yet (so many good surprises are still to discover is something i really like in new versions :)), i'll definitely try to see that (after my current game, as i'm performing well even though i dont understand and dont want to understand the effects of these new options).

Speaking of which, you could have gone deeper in this sense. It could have been a good idea to offer the possibility to activate or not every new development choice you made, or at least risky choices (like this one). Ie to set the level of detail in managing options. For example we could use "fm2009 options" and other versions', or option by option, activate it or not.

The continue button should naturally be on the bottom right. Top right is not natual. I also do not use space bar. When sitting back in the chair, its annoying to reach up for the keyboard and slam the space bar over and over. I find a click of the mouse which is right next to my lap a lot easier to access.

Totally agree with that. For those who dont understand these kind of complaints, it has just to deal with perfectionism. We all want the perfect game dont we. And SI already proved they could do it. They have been so close (in fm2009 for some, in 2010 for others), and already showed their abilities to do so. So why not ? The space bar is not an option for me (though parameting the mouse might be one, if i find how to do so). So lets debate. Good points of having it at top right = you find it very quickly, go in the corner. That's it. But there are four corners. And most of the pages you are, you need to click at the bottom to confirm an action. Actually all the confirm buttons should be at the same place, and "Continue" should be at this same place too, so as "next unread" red icon should be at the same place. The idea to use a corner is really good and should have been used for all the confirming buttons. Also, the "next unread" red icon should become "continue" when there is no more unread messages. If developpers were afraid a gamer click too fast on it, then it the icon could become flashy (orange green blue yellow, whatever), to mean "you are going to continue, not to read another message" (i'm trying to remind whether this was not the case in former versions?).

I assume you are watching the game on just commentary from what you say. I have noticed that players names are often only mentioned in the original commentary and I'm not sure you'd get the option to replay. You could use the 3D match graphics if your computer is up to it. Aside from looking nice you can replay any bit of play and you can click on a player on a pitch to get his name to flash up. It's very handy for checking what happened.

Well no i'm using the 3D engine, and i rather watch the game instead of reading the comments. But i sometimes do, when i missed the player name who did the action when watching it, so my eyes quickly flash to the comments, but too late, the name has already been mentionned, and is not recalled... For the upcoming comment patch by a community member, hope the code for the name could be used (i'll have a look when i have some time). I sometimes use Replays but it's quite time wasting ;) and you understood it, one season takes some time, time wasting has been improved a lot, it has clearly been one the points targeted by SI for 2010 version, so i am just pointing where it could have gone further, and i'm also being more "severe" on this point for this reason.

I will add other points as there has been constructive answers so it's worth it ^^.

I dont know if it's related with my computer's power (i dont think so as everything else's working well), but sometimes, clicking somewhere will take 1.5s to load. The main issue is on opposite instruction page : clicking on an opposite player, then on the skill i want to set (marking for example), then which option i want to choose (tight for example), all these clics take ages to be recognised. It is quite ****ing off and easily avoidable for SI developpers i guess.

I wish we could have disactivate international, friendly and some minor cups (including Europa or 1st rounds of CL) games simulation, and have straight the results. As they take ages (tips and hints here since 2009 are a very good plus though and i think it could be appreciatable to add some more).

I wish some pages could have been gathered in one. We would save lots of clics and thus time by doing this.

For example "pre match", "line ups", "match analysis" are three pages to see before having "submit team". These three pages could have been gathered to one or two. Using colours if necessary, to denote the different information.

The same for "contract" and "transfer", as i think it used to be in former versions. Still using colours if necessary, or the two sides of a page.

I also think, information under "profile" (notes, position, contract, transfer) are as important as reports and history. But you jump often between profile's shortcuts (notes/position/contract/transfer) and the two other useful folders (reports/history). Having all of them in one same folder would be easier (but history wouldnt show its current shortcuts, though ; maybe put at least "stats history" under profile, and recall it in the history folder, the current one including "injury history" and so on). This would avoid a lot of clics, and to asking yourself "where is transfer page again ? Ah yes in profile..."...

Is it really that hard to move your mouse to the top right compared to the bottom right? It isn't something i've lost sleep over, personally.

It isn't a huge issue and I was just replying to someone from SI who said top right was a natural position to click continue. Try playing on a 42'' lcd tv (at home we all chipped in for a big screen for our computer), and then come back to me with that same comment.

It isn't a huge issue and I was just replying to someone from SI who said top right was a natural position to click continue. Try playing on a 42'' lcd tv (at home we all chipped in for a big screen for our computer), and then come back to me with that same comment.

I'm just hitting the space bar - wireless keyboards are a blessing from the gods :D Agree with you that it's a bizarre place to put the continue button - might grow on me if I could find a skin I liked.

Definitely, your English is great :thup: Had no troubles reading it what so ever.

To be honest, I am not really disappointed in this years edition but a lot of people are, for me it is one of the best, along with FM07 which really got me into the series more than ever!

I agree, FM07 got me into the series to. But FM09 got me on the forums, blast those bugs.

Archived