Training beyond accomplished

Hello all,

Got a few questions about training positions which you might be able to help me with.

First of all is there a big difference in effectivity if you play someone not on his natural position but on his accomplished one? According to my assistant and team reports it does but to what extend is this really true?

Example 1: Daniele De Rossi, set up as Box to Box MC

Example 2: Andrey Arshavin, set up as Inside Winger AML

Linked to that question, would it be wise to retrain or train them to that position even while they are allready accomplished at that age? Would they still turn into natural over time and would it be worth it to take the hit (10%) to training in the meantime? I know younger players then the two mentioned above turn into naturals eventually but never really took note of how long it actually takes. Currently also training Jack Wilshere to AMR for instance and hoping to turn him in a natural.

Any insight or tips are welcome.

First of all is there a big difference in effectivity if you play someone not on his natural position but on his accomplished one? According to my assistant and team reports it does but to what extend is this really true?

Example 1: Daniele De Rossi, set up as Box to Box MC

Example 2: Andrey Arshavin, set up as Inside Winger AML

The gap isn't large enough to warrant playing a lesser player over the two you mentioned just because they're a natural at the position. Unless the players are comparable or the gap in grades at the position is large, for example, natural to competent, then much of the weight in determining who should be the first teamer should not be put into the grades of the position of the players.

Linked to that question, would it be wise to retrain or train them to that position even while they are allready accomplished at that age?

No. I'd only train them to that position if they're competent or lower.

Would they still turn into natural over time and would it be worth it to take the hit (10%) to training in the meantime?

No. However, I'm going to be a bit more observant in this field of the player now.

Thanks for the tips folks. Guess my older players will just have to get along with being accomplished and will try to get my younger ones to natural. Seems pushing them by training isn't really doing much good.

The foremost reason why this bothers me a little is my scouts comparing players with an accomplished man on the spot with a natural one, which does give some off the mark comparisons. For instance with Arshavin mentioned above, which is a rather good inside winger but not natural so a natural player has the tendency to be "just as good" even when looking at stats they are rather mediocre compared to him. The weighting factor difference in star rating of an accomplished and natural player is heavy and scouts take that with them in their reports. Might be a little over the top in my eyes. Accomplished players should be judged more on their ability then positional rating when comparing them to their natural brothers I would say, but I cannot tell my scouts that :rolleyes:

Archived