[FM10] An Aussie Boy, Chasing His Dreams...

wobz

Football Manager 2010 - 10.1.0 Database - No edits

I have an Australian nationality with no second nationality selected. I started my career unemployed with a Sunday League Footballer reputation. I aim to play this save as realistically as I can, trying to improve my reputation and someday managing at the highest level, hopefully ending up at Manchester United. Something an Australian has never done.

All leagues loaded from England, Italy, Spain, Wales, Ireland and Scotland.

To begin my career I applied for all three of the jobs available and one accepted. The chairman from Aberystwyth Town in Wales offered me £350 a week for three years. I was impressed by Donald Kane's plans so I accepted and I was underway.

Aberystwyth Town - 2009 - Principality Welsh Premier

Founded in 1884, Aberystwyth Town are a semi-professional Welsh club currently playing in the Principality Welsh Premier. The club play their home games at Park Avenue and possess adequate training facilities and a basic youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Seasiders and retains a fierce rivalry with The New Saints and Bangor City.

Although the Seasiders are enduring a 109 year barren spell, having not won a competition since 1900, the club still have a history which they can be justly proud. Aberystwyth won the Welsh Cup in 1900 and finished runners-up once, and finished runners-up in the Welsh second tier in 1989, 1990 and 1991.

Special note: The club turns 125 years old this season.

Pre-Season:

The board expected a top half finish and to help me achieve that I needed some staff so my first act as manager was to place some job advertisements in the job centre for a scout, physio and coach, all of which we didn't have. I then released a lot of dead wood who were just using up our wage budget, 27 players in total left us in pre-season while 7 joined, all on free transfers. The squad I have are half decent but there is plenty of room for improvement. However I do believe we are capable of performing up to expectations this season.

Mid-Season:

After a couple more additions to the squad I was happy with where we were at. In September the chairman Donald Kane decided he was planning on leaving the club, only to reject an offer from a fellow board member when the opportunity arose. He is still willing to listen to any offers but it looks like he will be around for a bit longer yet.

On the pitch we performed poorly, too many draws. By December the board were considering my future at the club so I decided to look elsewhere for employment as Wales was not treating me well. I applied for the Shrewsbury job in England's Coca Cola League 2 for a long shot. The board found out and I was in trouble. On the 6th December after 151 days in charge I was sacked and left unemployed hoping Shrewsbury would have me. Deep down I knew I wasn't getting a new job anytime soon.

Summary:

Principality Welsh Premier - 14th when sacked

Loosemores League Cup - Quarter Final

Welsh Cup - 4th Round

League Table when sacked

Unemployment:

After failing to get the Shrewsbury job (not sure why?) I found myself applying to anyone who would let me. Christmas and then the New Year went past with no one willing to give me a chance. But then one the 2nd of January, as if 2010 was giving me a clean slate, Eastleigh in the Blue Square South came in with a 2 year deal worth £450 a week. I accepted without hesitation and with that I was off to England.

Eastleigh - 2010 - Blue Square South

Founded in 1980, Eastleigh are a semi-professional English club currently playing in the Blue Square South. The club play their home games at Silverlake Stadium and possess average training facilities and an average youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Spitfires.

Having enjoyed success as recently as 2003, The Spitfires are a club with a growing history. Eastleigh won the Wessex Premier in 2003.

Mid-Season:

I joined Eastleigh 25 games into the season. We were 15th and out of all cup competitions. I understood immediately why the previous manager was sacked. We had a very good squad and the club was expected to finish 3rd. It was my job to turn things around and prepare the club for a run at the trophy next season.

After examining the current squad I worked out who I needed and who was wasting my time. I released 24 players, mainly from the reserve squad, within a week of my arrival. I then sent my scouts out who found a couple of handy midfielders who went straight into the starting 11.

Summary:

While we didn't finish the season as stongly as I hoped we still managed to finish safely mid-table in 13th. With the squad being the oldest in the league, I know that I need to bring in some fresh faces in the pre-season. Although I still believe this side is capable of pushing for a promotion spot next season.

Blue Square South - 13th, was 15th when I arrived

FA Cup - 2nd Qualifying Round, out before I joined

FA Trophy - 3rd Qualifying Round, out before I joined

Archived