Fm09 or Fm10

I suppose it depends what kind of game you prefer. FM10 has much more complicated tactics that require quite a lot of work and tweaking, and it's hard to win games if you don't watch them. But FM10 also has better interaction options and the backroom advice that can help no end.

Personally, I like FM09 better. It has easier tactics, and feels more like home than FM10.

I have both but have gone back to playing FM09 until the FM10 10.2 patch comes out. Some of the small bugs made FM10 kind-of annoying for me to pick up...BUT a lot of this was also because I have a stellar save going in 09. If you have neither, just go straight for FM10 as you won't have the same issue I did of not wanting to leave a save. 09 and 10 are big big steps up over all the previous ones.

After being a belated fan of 07 (hated it when it came out and refused to budge from 06), I bought FM08, didn't like it so never really played it, tried the demo of 09 and didn't like it so never bought it (the first one i haven't bought since the good old amiga days!!) but after playing the demo of 10 it seemed to be a step up and more polished so i bought it and im loving it...!

There are a few issues admittedly but IMO it is still perfectly playable - i notice the defending needs to be tweaked and i have an occasional (twice in seven seasons) problem with it crashing (autosave to the rescue!!). On the positive side though, im loving my save im playing now more than any other FM i have - probably since the good old CM03/04 days.

Am holding off from my unemployed journeyman career until the next patch but don't let that put you off...! :)

FM 2010 by country miles. It's for intelligent people who know the importance of tactics. FM 2010's match engine is far better than any other previous FMs and certainely better than patched up 2009's match engine.

I take it you play 2009 then. ("It's for intelligent people who know the importance of tactics" - what an idiotic remark)

FM 2010 by country miles. It's for intelligent people who know the importance of tactics. FM 2010's match engine is far better than any other previous FMs and certainely better than patched up 2009's match engine.
It was simply my opinion. You are not obliged to like the game. And I did mean 2010

Maybe you are not as intelligent as you claim, when you fail to understand my remark was sarcastic.

Absolutely agree. By far the best challenge yet. It actually takes skill to build a winning team and tactics. FM10>any other FM

Maybe you are not as intelligent as you claim, when you fail to understand my remark was sarcastic.

I'm intelligent on FM and that's enough for me. I don't need your verdict. And claiming that you were being sarcastic after having lost the debate is not so intelligent by the way.

I'll have a go at properly answering the opening poster's question while I am here.

I'm still holding my judgement a little bit on FM10 until I get really stuck into a game and have completed a few seasons on it. Right now though, I'm really impressed with it.

The main irritations I'm having with it are:

1) The mess that has been made of the regionalised leagues (e.g. Conference South/North and below). :mad: However, this will hopefully get fixed on the next patch.

2) The competitions editor. A feature I got very excited about but, as it turns out, it is practically impossible to create the majority of leagues and competitions realistically. It's not as easy as was made out prior to the game being released and it takes a lot of complicated work to get things working as they should. I'm totally put off bothering with adding step 3 or 4 as a result. :(

3) The star rating system, which sounded awesome but is not working properly and is a real missed opportunity. Hopefully SI will get it sorted for a future patch.

Yet again, I'm left less than enthusiastic by the main new features. However, in this FM it is the little touches that pop up now and then, which make the game better and make up for it.

The most impressive thing about it is the speed. The processing is smooth, the interface is more responsive than the old FM and so on. The game as a whole feels much more dynamic than the unresponsive and slow FM09.

Time will tell if I get fed up with the press conferences and team talks again as I did with FM09 (the latter seems to have barely changed at all) but right now I am giving both a chance.

Another thing that put me off FM09 was the frequency of injuries, especially occurring in the lower leagues. FM10 on the other hand, seems to have a much better balance as far as I have observed so far.

The tactics wizard, which I actually feared would ruin the game at first, is a feature I really like now. It just speeds everything up and the experience is more dynamic. In this respect, I understand FestyF's comments about the tactical side of the game. FM10 now becomes tactically more interesting and challenging because the user is able to play more dynamically and change the various aspects of his tactical approach (strategy and touchline shouts) quickly and with ease.

So far, so good. And these forums, despite some of the usual match engine complaints (some fair, some not), are actually eerily quiet compared to recent years.

So thumbs up for FM10 so far and it should get better with the upcoming patch too.

Regards,

C.

Archived