Tapping Up Players to get cheap deals isnt Effective?

This is how I would go about purchasing a world class player for my Man U team.

- Scout the player

- Tap up the player untill considering his options

- Make a bid/enquirey about the player

I spent quite a while talking to the player, until they like me and are considering there options and such.

I had these players in these states of minds.

- Ramsey (Arsenal)Considering his options

- Walcott (Arsenal)Considering his options

- DeRossi (Roma)Willing to Remain at club

- Villa (Val)Something similar showing he was very intrested to join me

However, yes, this seems to work for players, but im still forking out 40m-70m fir these players, excluding ramsey, ending in none actually getting transfered.

I would like to know, how do you know if a player hands in a transfer request?

What events must take place for a team to give in and accept a reasonable/less massive amount?

And, why does this not work and when I try any more the player gets annoyed and ignores my intrest.

I respect clubs dont want to sell there biggest players, but I seem to get the players to really want to join me but the clubs wont budge at all.

Try offering rubbish transfer fees so that they keep getting knocked back and continue to show interest in the player announcing you like for him and you wanna sign him ect.. And he may as a result of all the bids being rejected ask to be placed on the transfer list as i said he MAY.

If teams make bids for my players and tell the press they are intrested in signing him. Then when i reject the bid for my player, The player gets upset 'wants to leave the club' or 'feels he needs to leave to further his career' & then requests a transfer.

But when i state intrest in AI players and make bids that are rejected, The player never requests a transfer. The most i always see is 'unhappy that a transfer bid was rejected'

I don't think on any FM's, I have ever got a player to request a transfer the same way that the AI gets my players to request a transfer.

Its one thing for the AI and another thing for us. ;)

Praising a player is for getting him easier on a sign in, praising managers and get befriended might get you lower transfer fees.

The manager befriending is very true in terms of lower prices and I would say that it is generally under used. But do I want to be best mates with my rival club manager? If it means getting the player then I guess, yes! :)

I've seen Modric, Marin and Dzeko all go because they requested to be put on the transfer list. Basically you have to pick on a player at a smaller club whos not really attached to the club and is preferably ambitious. The reason your not getting anyone to transfer like that is becuase the clubs you are picking on are too big.

Yes, but you can see why.

As Man U im looking for one, or two World Class players with my 90m budget.

It just seems like theres at no point the price will fall.

And most managers I look at seem to start with a fairly poor opinion of me? Not the best way to make a friendship, although il admin ive never really tried.

Itd just be good to see some proper negotiating going on.

Yes, but you can see why.

As Man U im looking for one, or two World Class players with my 90m budget.

It just seems like theres at no point the price will fall.

And most managers I look at seem to start with a fairly poor opinion of me? Not the best way to make a friendship, although il admin ive never really tried.

Itd just be good to see some proper negotiating going on.

Yeah some proper negotiating would be nice. M.Sakho from PSG - they want £35m and struggle to get them to move on the figure. Imagine IRL if Arsenal bought him for £35m, the average football fan would go has Arsene gone mad or what, £35m on a 19 year old who is unproven and plays for PSG - not the world greatest team with respect so he would want to leave and could not command a massive fee.

But in FM it would be the norm! :)

If you are Man U and looking at top players, the AI has every right to hold you over a barrel over price just as they would in real life. Consider going for an underrated gem or a player who might not quite yet be the finished article instead.

When was the last time Man U purchased a player IRL who was at the time recognised as world class?

Yeah some proper negotiating would be nice. M.Sakho from PSG - they want £35m and struggle to get them to move on the figure. Imagine IRL if Arsenal bought him for £35m, the average football fan would go has Arsene gone mad or what, £35m on a 19 year old who is unproven and plays for PSG - not the world greatest team with respect so he would want to leave and could not command a massive fee.

In fairness, there's a reason why Sakho hasn't been bought yet :) He's considered one of football's absolute top prospects, and that's exactly why he would command such a sum right now. When he's played some more, and proven himself (or failed), the sum might change.

And remember that requesting a move away from your club for a cheaper price than they think you're worth makes you come off as a complete douche. Professional players might not want to do that, as it will hurt their reputation for the rest of their careers.

I'm glad that it does not work because I would consider such method as cheating.

The point is there should be negotiation.

The whole negotiation code needs to be re-written in FM. It's not changed in a long time and is an important piece of management.

There's no way to gauge what a team will be willing to sell for effectively.

Tapping a player up - doesnt change the transfer fee, it just makes the player willing to go to your club. Its like that in real life so i dont see why the game should do otherwise.

Real Madrid tapped up Ronaldo for ages but still forked out a record fee for him.

To get the fee down you need to build a relationship with the opposing manager.

Sometimes you just have to admit players are happy where they are!

Also, I see the annoying "AI raise bug" hasn't been sorted out yet.

I offer 2M, the AI asks for 3M. So I offer 2.3 and the AI "will settle for a deal worth 3.6M)... WTF???

Basically I feel like the FIRST offer you get in response of your offer is the lowest you can get. And that's confusing

Also, I see the annoying "AI raise bug" hasn't been sorted out yet.

I offer 2M, the AI asks for 3M. So I offer 2.3 and the AI "will settle for a deal worth 3.6M)... WTF???

Basically I feel like the FIRST offer you get in response of your offer is the lowest you can get. And that's confusing

Bargain does not really work when buying players. IRL there are many cases when price can go as much as %50 low just by making offer back and forward but in FM you get %5 discount at best and sometimes they even raise the price as you bargain :) which does not happen in IRL. I can understand that sometimes teams will not be willing to cut any price especially if they are desperate to sell the player but in FM they hardly ever drop the price.

To be fair anyway even if you butter up the player enough so that he hands in a transfer request why should the club sell it's star player on the cheap in all fairness how often do they sell cheap? I certainly didn't see Ronaldo,Lescott,Alonso,Benzema and many more move on the cheap this season

By the way i'm not comparing lescott in terms of the other 3 mentioned, just using him as an example of clubs not selling cheap

In fairness, there's a reason why Sakho hasn't been bought yet :) He's considered one of football's absolute top prospects, and that's exactly why he would command such a sum right now. When he's played some more, and proven himself (or failed), the sum might change.

And remember that requesting a move away from your club for a cheaper price than they think you're worth makes you come off as a complete douche. Professional players might not want to do that, as it will hurt their reputation for the rest of their careers.

Are you saying that IRL that Sakho's price tag is like £35m - for a 19 year old? Theres no way hes worth that much IRL. If any top club came in for him IRL then he would go for less than £20m. Hurt there reputation for the rest of their career? You obviously think highly of footballers in regard to their loyalty and greed not to earn more money. There are only a few few players like Maldini, Giggs that are ultimate pros - very few footballers are like those two. And you seem to think that all footballers are saints and very concerned about morals.

Tapping a player up - doesnt change the transfer fee, it just makes the player willing to go to your club.

Lyon under Jean-Michel Aulas were a classic example of this. Lyon kept finding these top-class players who were wanted by the biggest clubs, and who naturally wanted to play for the biggest clubs. Aulas' greatest triumph was demanding - and getting - massive prices for his want-away stars. It's an inarguable fact that big players command big fees, and no amount of complimentary comments in the press is going to make a chairman give his prized assets away cheaply.

I made Sakho hand in a transfer request on my game, sadly Man City ended up going for him too. They signed him for £12mil.

Benetez did what the OP does with Gareth Barry and he got abused by the majority of football fans.

So he should of.Soshould the worst club of all Real Madrid but then again they can do whatever they please as long as they have Blatter & Platini's protection!

Are you saying that IRL that Sakho's price tag is like £35m - for a 19 year old? Theres no way hes worth that much IRL. If any top club came in for him IRL then he would go for less than £20m. Hurt there reputation for the rest of their career? You obviously think highly of footballers in regard to their loyalty and greed not to earn more money. There are only a few few players like Maldini, Giggs that are ultimate pros - very few footballers are like those two. And you seem to think that all footballers are saints and very concerned about morals.

Would a team pay £35 mil? Probably not. Would his club let him go for less than 20 mil? Maybe, maybe not.

I don't claim to know exactly what the value of Sakho is percieved to be by Paris or the other big clubs. All I'm saying is, if he wouldn't go for more than 20m pounds, maybe there's a reason why no one bought him yet? Either Paris want more money, or no teams think he's good enough to pay 20mil.

As for players and loyalty, maybe that's true.. but I sure as hell wouldn't sign a young player who forced the club he was in to sell him for LESS than he was worth. If a player has that low moral standards, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my squad, as he'd surely be a negative influence, and NOT the kind of person you want in a team with a winning mentality. Players need to play not only for themselves, but for their teammates as well, to win.

I don't claim to know exactly what the value of Sakho is percieved to be by Paris or the other big clubs. All I'm saying is, if he wouldn't go for more than 20m pounds, maybe there's a reason why no one bought him yet? Either Paris want more money, or no teams think he's good enough to pay 20mil.

As for players and loyalty, maybe that's true.. but I sure as hell wouldn't sign a young player who forced the club he was in to sell him for LESS than he was worth. If a player has that low moral standards, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my squad, as he'd surely be a negative influence, and NOT the kind of person you want in a team with a winning mentality. Players need to play not only for themselves, but for their teammates as well, to win.

Fair point. :)

Archived