Confusions of the settings of 'Cut inside' and 'Move into channels' in 'Wide Play'

In my opinion, 'Cut inside' is to indicate the player to dribble from wide area towards the center when he POSSESSES THE BALL; and 'Move into channels' is to indicate the player to find blanks between opposition defenders and move into channels when he DOES NOT POSSESS THE BALL.

If this is the case, isn't the settings of 'Wide Play' contradicting itself?

What does 'Wide Play' do?

As far as I understood it, 'Cut Inside' was for wingers who's stronger foot was the opposite of the wing they were on, I like to play with 2 Inside Forwards sometimes.

'Move into Channels' is for players who play in the middle. ie Strikers or Central Midfielders, to encourage them to drift wide and cross balls...

So I'm not sure I can answer your question other than with a I don't quite understand what you are trying to get at :)

What does 'Wide Play' do?

As far as I understood it, 'Cut Inside' was for wingers who's stronger foot was the opposite of the wing they were on, I like to play with 2 Inside Forwards sometimes.

'Move into Channels' is for players who play in the middle. ie Strikers or Central Midfielders, to encourage them to drift wide and cross balls...

So I'm not sure I can answer your question other than with a I don't quite understand what you are trying to get at :)

My point is that, as far as I understand, 'Cut inside' is an instruction that takes effect when the player is with the ball, while 'Move into channels' takes effect when the player is not with the ball.

I think that would be true most of the time just because of the way it happens. Although I am not sure that it is always true. I have often seen my striker in possession take the ball and run to the wing, or my winger who is told to cut inside will make runs into the box. I know they do that anyway, but I think they do it more when instructed to cut inside, because they come in field more often. They often tend to be in the box as a second striker rather than arriving late at the far post.

In short - I think your statement is partly true - however I do not believe that a player that does not have the ball and with the instruction to cut inside, that they won't cut inside, and I also do not believe just because they have the ball when set on move into channels, that they will not go wide.

Don't know if that makes sense...it barely does in my head...but it's 4am and I'm tired :)

I thought channels didn't mean going wide anyway, rather back and forth along the pitch to find space. As in a central striker moving to the AM position and so on and a winger backwards or forward hugging the line.

as far as i see it

hugs touch line is to add width and keep players on the touch line

cuts inside is for wingers or inside forwards who are stronger on there oposite foot or just crap at crossing

moves into channels is more for central players (all player have the option of picking there wideplay) and means the player drifts out between the centre back and full back looking for space without that ball ( al la henry)

and i hope normal is just stays central

although i imagine these instructions are easily contradicted by if you have crosses set to many from by line and roam from position marked.

at least i hope its something like that

moves into channels is more for central players (all player have the option of picking there wideplay) and means the player drifts out between the centre back and full back looking for space without that ball ( al la henry)

So what is it then? I am confused (sorry for the silly picture)... always thought it was the first!

channels.png

So what is it then? I am confused (sorry for the silly picture)...

channels.png

as i say this is just from how i read it and hopefully my stupid pictures lol are clear enough.

a player with moves into channels will drift (without the ball)

from this position

dr-----dc----dc----dl

---------st----------

to this position

dr-----dc-----dc----dl

---^-----------------

---st-----------------

there for attacking the space between a full back and centre back dragging the centre back wider to create more space or mean he doesnt have a centre back in this face when he gets the ball

Archived