Individual instructions VS Preferred moves

I'm not sure if this has been discussed but its something I noticed lastnight when playing FM 10. Preferred moves plays a big part in a plays ability or "want" to do what you ask them to do. I play with Arsenal and noticed 2 different behaviours between my 2 wingers...Arshavin and Theo...

Arshavin's preferred move is to "cut inside" while Theo's is to run down the flanks or run the channels...

I have set as part of my tactic for both wingers to cut inside but only Arshavin does this...Theo runs the channels and puts a cross in 90 percent of the time. If I play Wilshere on the right instead of Theo, he cuts in as he has "Cuts in" as his preferred move...

This would suggest that for a player to play the way you want them to effectively in a given tactic, you will need to train them up to do the preferred move...or buy a play who has the preferred move as an attribute

Has anyone esle noticed this?

What, So even if you give a player an instruction to do as part of your tactics. Unless they have it as a ppm they are going to ignore your instuctions?

I read some where before that if a player as shoots from long range often ppm, If you set is long shots to rarely he will not try them as often. Is this not true then?

Does not sound good that, You want your winger to cut inside and you have set him to it. But because of his ppm he his ignoring your tactics and what you want him to do 90% of the time ...

I have an example of the opposite experience. I am playing Athletic Bilbao and my AMC Etxeberria has the PPM looks to pass rather than score.

I have him set up as an advanced playmaker with a support role with a Target Man on an attacking role and an AMR and AML on attacking roles. My intention was for my AMC to be making the final pass and recording many assists. Instead he almost always takes a shot.

I have an example of the opposite experience. I am playing Athletic Bilbao and my AMC Etxeberria has the PPM looks to pass rather than score.

I have him set up as an advanced playmaker with a support role with a Target Man on an attacking role and an AMR and AML on attacking roles. My intention was for my AMC to be making the final pass and recording many assists. Instead he almost always takes a shot.

Default Support Advanced Playmaker has high long shots.

Change to advanced and just reduce the long shot setting.

What, So even if you give a player an instruction to do as part of your tactics. Unless they have it as a ppm they are going to ignore your instuctions?

I read some where before that if a player as shoots from long range often ppm, If you set is long shots to rarely he will not try them as often. Is this not true then?

Does not sound good that, You want your winger to cut inside and you have set him to it. But because of his ppm he his ignoring your tactics and what you want him to do 90% of the time ...

Its what I've noticed with Theo vs Arshavin...I may be wrong. I've set both wingers to cut inside & rarely cross. They are both setup as attacking wingers, basically both wingers are setup the same way...exactly. Arshavin always cuts in except when he has no choice but to go down the wing. Even if he gets to the byline he will try and get into the box or pass it back to my advanced full back to cross in. Theo on the other hand will 90% of the time look to run the channel and get the cross in. No of them are set to cross from the byline. If I play Wilshere in place of Theo, (no chance in tactic) he plays like Arshavin does and cuts in...

Will continue to monitor it as I am still in my Feb 2010.

I'm pretty sure I read a post from someone at SI who inferred that individual instructions are set relative to a player's PPM (if the instruction has a corresponding PPM).

So, if you set Long Shots to rarely for 2 separate players it doesn't necessarily mean that they both now have the same likelihood of attempting long shots. Instead it sets the likelihood to the lowest part of the player's range, which means a player with a long shot PPM would still be more likely to try one than a player without the PPM.

Archived