you need to watch the games people

this goes to the posters here who claim the AI acts funny or that their results dont make sense.

first of, most of the time i read that their frustration comes from thinking they've got a tactic which worked for several matches and then they get consistently hammered.

this is the first time i play FM (played fifa manager in earlier versions) and i am here to tell you - if anything i think the game is relatively easy. as a new coach for atletico madrid, after a season i finished 2nd place (below barcelona) with a very impressive undefeated run.

BUT... you need to watch the matches, pay attention to player performances and substitute ,discipline, train, etc accordingly. also you need to read what your assistant has to say about the opposition and act accordingly. and some players go through highs and lows because that is what it is.

there is no magical tactic or formation which will allow you to remain undefeated for the rest of your career because it worked for you on a series of matches. on the contrary, if you insist on the same tactic and formation all the time your opponents will have you figured out.

I think you're wrong..

Frustration comes from the overused word "polished" that lead people to think the ME would be almost perfect .. i wouldn't mind a few minor issues .. but you dont need to watch the entire match to know that there are too many goals from long shots, too many successful through balls, too many stupid moments from the keeper .. etc etc .. but yeah, try to do what cruyff14 said.

fair enough. i havent played smaller teams as of late.

but...

my reply was to those who think its all tactical business... and its not

still....

i would imagine smaller teams dont have the training infrastructure larger teams do, nor the fan support in the stadium, nor perhaps the quality of the coaches....

you know im not saying all this works as intended just saying that because a tactic worked for 5 matches it doesnt mean you can run the game in auto-mode ever since.

If you ignore how the opposition is attacking you and ignore how they are try to stop you, you'll lose more games than you think you should. The AI will also alter their approach during a match so you have to watch the match at least partially or you'll get exploited.

I agree completely with the OP. Just coming up with one tactic and trying to stick to that won't work, and even minor changes to the one tactic won't work.

I won the League Cup in my 2nd season as a newly promoted Southampton by basically reading the match engine.

tbh the AI clearly cheats

The AI is incapable of cheating. It's a computer programme and as such has no desire to win and doesn't care if it loses. Unless Terminator: Salvation is about to come true.

Secondly, it can't even gain an advantage like in racing games cos the ME cannot tell which team is human and which is AI. If the AI can do it the human can. EG, I've now lost count of the number of draws I've gained by going 4-1-5 overload in the last 2 mins.

The ME has it's faults but cheating ain't one of them.

The AI is incapable of cheating. It's a computer programme and as such has no desire to win and doesn't care if it loses. Unless Terminator: Salvation is about to come true.

Secondly, it can't even gain an advantage like in racing games cos the ME cannot tell which team is human and which is AI. If the AI can do it the human can. EG, I've now lost count of the number of draws I've gained by going 4-1-5 overload in the last 2 mins.

The ME has it's faults but cheating ain't one of them.

I beg to disagree there, backpackant. Surely the AI is programmed to win games...? But yeah, it ain't a cheater, very smart maybe, but not a cheater.

• 2 months later...

Archived