fm07 v fm10 help please

I'm a week away from getting my new Mac, and am wondering if its worth me getting FM2010. Ive seen a fair number of mixed reviews round here...

Im still playing FM2007. Personally I think its the best so far. I did buy FM08 but even patched up it was never as good.

I missed out on FM09 for 3 reasons. I had a hunch that the first year of the 3d match engine would be a bit rough and problematic. (I was always in the camp that rejected any 3d talk!). Secondly my computer wouldnt run it anyway! And thirdly and perhaps most importantly the regens/newgens/whatever thay are called these days... were awful and couldnt really have a long term game that was fun.

So now I have a souped up iMac on the way. Is it worth my while? I just want a bit of fun out of my FM, not pretend to be some great tactical genious. I mostly like watching out for World Class newgens and being a bit of a 'Wenger'.

So I guess my Q's are:

Is the game fun? How is the match engine performing for the most part?

How are the newgens this year? Can you happily take games over 20+ seasons?

How does it all compare to 2007?

(I do realise that most things can and will probably change after the January patch as usual (if thats still the case). Maybe its worth waiting until then...)

From someone who was playing FM07. Only move if you like to spend tons of time on Data Editor or you like 3D. I bought 08 and 09 only to put them straight to the shelf, I felt FM07 had already everything that I want from the game. FM10 is different, far superior from past two versions and some really useful new features. But to be honest, if it wasn't for the new Competition Editor I'd be still playing FM07.

It's more fun than 08 and 09 anyway, and very fast. I don't know about the newgens, but match engine seems right. Interface is great and backroom advise help you a lot if you don't want to be a professional manager to play the game.

Have you played the demo?

I was a massive critic of 08 and 09, won't go in to why but they went 'straight on the shelf' as you put it, in my case too.

I have played 07 constantly for the last few years and I love it. Simple, realistic and great ME. Challenging enough but not too hard, 07 is great.

I bought 10 not expecting much and thought I wouldn't be able to play it. One reason for me was the 2D match engine looked like everything was being punted in to the clouds, even shots that looked sky high went in! Happy to report this is sorted, so happy!

Lots of other things still annoy me as most other things are exactly the same as 09, press conferences suck and you pretty much have to attend them if you want to keep morale high, also I have found you have to be pretty negative in all of them otherwise a fall is soon around the corner. The game runs slow on my pc but I do need to upgrade as my pc is terribly outdated - I guess this means yours will cope well if 10 can run on my old pc....

The tactics seem more manageable this time around, I have created about 3-4 succesful tactics so far in the lower leagues, all with different formations. I usually stuck to a 4-4-2 too. The only thing is your tactics can be amazing, but team talks dictate the outcome of a match far too often and for me, they seem to override tactics so you need to read up on team talks as they are different than 07...i.e. your tactics can send you on a 5 match unbeaten run then the wrong team talk against a crap team sends you to a defeat.

I did get a bit sick of the slow speed of the game on my pc about a day ago and turned on 07 to give it a blast, I watched the ME for half a game and clicked quit game, it looked absolutely ridiculous! The game (07) is nowhere near as in depth as it needs to be either, I like the way I can control my players morale or his form with the amount of interaction I can have with him. I hate to say it but I can't ever go back to 07 now, looks like I need a new pc though.....

Guest El Payaso

FM 07 was and still is a good game but after the next patch FM 10 should be more realistic (at least I hope so) and challenging. At the moment 07's match engine is much better, you can actually see great tackles and lsat moment challenges and most of all there is not so much space on the pitch while the players do close down the opposition instead of walking and watching. What has always bugged me in 07's ME is that players don't do things in a way they're told in tactics in these newer versions they do it much better...

So at the moment 07 is more 'playable' but hopefully after two poor games we will get another good thing going with 2010.

Much like yourself, I've given 07 a lot of mileage (I'm in 2032 with my favorite save)

I bought 09, and put it away before finishing a season. I could never find any sort of tactical consistency that could get me anywhere with any team).

After getting FM10, I decided I should put a bit more effort in it, So I'm in my third season now, and loving it.

Granted, it has a few problems, like poor defending and some occasional scoring issues, but when you manage to make it through a season or two, the game comes into its own.

I haven't had a challenge in my 07 game for so long that I relish the opportunity to have to think again.

I'm a week away from getting my new Mac, and am wondering if its worth me getting FM2010. Ive seen a fair number of mixed reviews round here...

Im still playing FM2007. Personally I think its the best so far. I did buy FM08 but even patched up it was never as good.

I missed out on FM09 for 3 reasons. I had a hunch that the first year of the 3d match engine would be a bit rough and problematic. (I was always in the camp that rejected any 3d talk!). Secondly my computer wouldnt run it anyway! And thirdly and perhaps most importantly the regens/newgens/whatever thay are called these days... were awful and couldnt really have a long term game that was fun.

So now I have a souped up iMac on the way. Is it worth my while? I just want a bit of fun out of my FM, not pretend to be some great tactical genious. I mostly like watching out for World Class newgens and being a bit of a 'Wenger'.

So I guess my Q's are:

Is the game fun? How is the match engine performing for the most part?

How are the newgens this year? Can you happily take games over 20+ seasons?

How does it all compare to 2007?

(I do realise that most things can and will probably change after the January patch as usual (if thats still the case). Maybe its worth waiting until then...)

I've done a couple of seasons on FM2010 - I won the double with Rangers, and then got Slovenian champions NK Domzale relegated! (haha)

I didn't buy 2009 because it was just too soon after I got into 2008. I seem to have got into a routine of buying the game every two years (mainly timed to coincide with real-life world cup and euro champs).

I'm enjoying the 3D in this one - the matches look really good and have an ebb & flow just like real football. I could never go back to 2D circles after this. It's so good that you actually want to watch the full game every time!

My computer's quite old too - and yet can handle the 3D fine on high detail and runs 7 leagues with no problems.

I've been buying this since the old CM days, it's been very interesting to see the game evolve. You can even see the "vestigial organs" (redundant features that still exist)

If 2007 was your last version, I would DEFINITELY recommend this one.

Archived