Does the Press Hate You?

I was giving a press conference and casually looked up to see that the reporter who was asking me the question had "Hatred" listed under his "Relationship" status. After keeping track of this for awhile, I noticed that the best relationship I have with any of the press is "Fierce Dislike". What's up? Am I just not likable?

You are Alex Ferguson and I claim my five pounds.

Do you add extra comments or ignore their questions? I let my ass man do two press conferences and the dolt screwed things up: 1) he said he'd play a bench player whining for playing time (this was not my plan and it threw off squad harmony), and 2) when asked if a player would keep up his good form he said no. Gee thanks, idiot you guaranteed it now. I fired him immediately and went without an ass man for the rest of the season on principle.

After a 0-0 draw I was asked if I was happy with the result as the first question and stormed out. The journo that asked that question now hates me. I also have a few that hate me because I called them names. The funniest was I wrote in my past press conference's additional comments: "Who's phone went off?" and then later, "Aren't you going to turn it off? It's just rude." in honor of Roy Keane. Interested to see how the journo responds to that, if at all.

Do you add extra comments or ignore their questions? I let my ass man do two press conferences and the dolt screwed things up: 1) he said he'd play a bench player whining for playing time (this was not my plan and it threw off squad harmony), and 2) when asked if a player would keep up his good form he said no. Gee thanks, idiot you guaranteed it now. I fired him immediately and went without an ass man for the rest of the season on principle.

No, that's the thing; I generally answer their questions, I don't make snide remarks, and I've never stormed out. I do have a tendency to not comment when I could give a negative response (I'd rather not talk about my chances of winning if those chances aren't particularly good, for example). This was pretty much how I handled them last year and they loved me, too.

I will say: my team reacts a lot less to my press conferences than they did last year. It used to be I could get them to react pretty well with the exact same presser, but now they pretty much only respond to extreme statements (which carry a lot more risk).

No, that's the thing; I generally answer their questions, I don't make snide remarks, and I've never stormed out. I do have a tendency to not comment when I could give a negative response (I'd rather not talk about my chances of winning if those chances aren't particularly good, for example). This was pretty much how I handled them last year and they loved me, too.

I will say: my team reacts a lot less to my press conferences than they did last year. It used to be I could get them to react pretty well with the exact same presser, but now they pretty much only respond to extreme statements (which carry a lot more risk).

Maybe the press is annoyed by the bland remarks lol? On a bit of a tangent, I think press conferences are too much of a risk in the game this year, especially for new signings. You can upset a new signing by saying something like "I expect the same from everyone, regardless of transfer fee" or "He can win us points on our own." I know it's fun to think that a player like Cristiano Ronaldo thinks he's so far above his teammates that he'd take offense to saying you expect the same from every player. Ditto a guy that doesn't crave the spotlight being told he can win the club points on his own. Let's be real here -- a coach trying to make the team feel like a team isn't going to upset a star player unless he says specifically that the player isn't special. It's a bit absurd really. "Star X is upset because of the press conference where you said you expected the same of everyone." Whatever.

In my savegame with Pisa the local journo hates me, or fiercely dislikes me at best. I think that's because after 8 seasons worth of press conferences I've hardly ever given him a straight answer on opposition threats, injuries or tactical suprises. If he asks me more than once I add a comment saying I'll walk if he asks it again :D

All the other journo's like me or don't care though. I guess because they don't have to put up with my cagey-ness!

You can add extra comments? How I have missed that?

I agree that the Press is a bit of a lottery, but I guess that's real life - who knows how the media will twist your words.

The new player thing is annoying though - if you downplay his chances, he gets upset. If he wins points on his own, the rest of the squad get upset.

*Grumble*

You can add extra comments? How I have missed that?

I agree that the Press is a bit of a lottery, but I guess that's real life - who knows how the media will twist your words.

The new player thing is annoying though - if you downplay his chances, he gets upset. If he wins points on his own, the rest of the squad get upset.

*Grumble*

Yep, just down at the bottom was in last year too. I was bored in one press conference and decided my manager was drunk and started adding strange statements. "You are a sexy minx aren't you?," "Even pigs like to swim in the sea looking for biscuits...isn't that what Cantona said?," "I'm not wearing any pants," and "He really enjoys farm animals" (that was in reference to my relationship with the opposing manager). The write up in my inbox said, "I thought he had a great game," before adding, "You are a sexy minx, aren't you?" I guess that journo likes me lol.

Think it was actually "when seagulls are following the trawler it's because they think fish will be thrown in".

Funny thing is it makes perfect sense, but I guess it was a bit 'high-brow' for the English press who decided to make fun of it.

I know it's a great line from a great player, just trying to say something stupid.

Archived