If the Eduardo injured happened on FM...

What would the game commentary say? My guess is either. "He's signaling to the bench, it looks like his game is over" or "He's shaking his ead and calling to the bench".

Both give new meaning to the phrase "no sh*t sherlock".

Given we still haven't got any way of knowing what an injury is mid-match (which is ridiculous really), surely the commentary could give a bit more insight? If my player has broken a leg or injured knee ligaments, why doesn't the commentary say "that looked ugly, that may be his season" or something along those lines?

Just a random thought anyway.

What would the game commentary say? My guess is either. "He's signaling to the bench, it looks like his game is over" or "He's shaking his ead and calling to the bench".

Both give new meaning to the phrase "no sh*t sherlock".

Given we still haven't got any way of knowing what an injury is mid-match (which is ridiculous really), surely the commentary could give a bit more insight? If my player has broken a leg or injured knee ligaments, why doesn't the commentary say "that looked ugly, that may be his season" or something along those lines?

Just a random thought anyway.

Just to add to this, how about for a leg injury, the commentary might say "his leg looked to buckle underneath him" or "his leg appeared to get tangled with his opponent", or for concussion "they appeared to clash heads" etc.

Or does the game not determined the specific injury until you process from the end of the match screen to your inbox?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

I'm not sure you need to know all the details during the game. If he has to come off, then he's coming off. After the game it will tell you the extent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And if he gets a green cross? The only clue you get as to whether you might be making the injury worse or not is his condition rating? Surely some more information about in game injuries is required.

Well if he has a green cross surely the condition is all you need? He obviously hasn't broken his leg, got concussion or anything like that anyway so the commentary says enough about green cross injuries already - i.e. it tells you they have occured.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm not sure you need to know all the details during the game. If he has to come off, then he's coming off. After the game it will tell you the extent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily. On older versions there were certain injury types where you could leave the player on the pitch (wrist injuries, facial injuries) and others where you had to consider the potential for making the injury worse.

So in CM 01/02 it would say 'potential knee injury' and then you had to make the decision on whether it was worth risking him relative to the importance of the match or what fixtures you had coming up.

Now you just look at their condition and make a decision based on that.

I know it's basically the same thing but I preferred the mechanism involved with CM 01/02 with the risk vs reward aspect.

Another point - I am the manager so I don't always know what the extent of the injury to a player is whilst the match is going on - he just gets taken off on a stretcher and the physios deal with him and he maybe gets taken to hospital or whatever and then I will get to know more specific information after the match.

Commentary should be there to inform me what is going on in real time as if it were my eyes rather than an actual commentator sitting up in the stands giving views which you wouldn't be listening to if you were the manager.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by metropolistechnique:

I'm not quite sure why sirdez24's suggestion for more details on injuries has been met almost completely negatively. How come it be a bad thing?

In real life the commentators always try to give us some insight on the injury, as much as possible. This would only add to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All we're saying is that the commentator doesn't know everything. It might filter back to him 10 mins later, which would be pointless by then. Commentator doesn't know where it's a dislocated shoulder or a bruised bellend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by metropolistechnique:

I'm not quite sure why sirdez24's suggestion for more details on injuries has been met almost completely negatively. How come it be a bad thing?

In real life the commentators always try to give us some insight on the injury, as much as possible. This would only add to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree icon14.gif

Also a Physio would pretty much know what the injury was when he treats him - so why can't there be a message some where telling you what it is (or at least what it might be). Maybe some where in the tactics screen?

Like I said, commentary shouldn't be the view of a bloke up in the stand with loads of TV moniters anyway. You don't get that if you are the manager down on the touchline. Commentary in game is just a way of telling you what is going on because you can't actually see it yourself as you would be able to if it was real.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vanpersie11:

Agree icon14.gif

Also a Physio would pretty much know what the injury was when he treats him - so why can't there be a message some where telling you what it is (or at least what it might be). Maybe some where in the tactics screen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that, physio feedback rather than commentator feedback. John Motson very rarely tells Arsene Wenger his players are injured! icon_smile.gif

Where have I said I want a full injury report from the commentator?

I'd just like him to say something that might give a clue as to whether it's a head injury. If I'm a manager and I see my player clash heads with an opponent, I'm not going to wonder what the injury is. Ditto if I see my star striker pull up sharply on a run I'm going to assume it's a hamstring.

In FM I don't even have this luxury - even if it's just cosmetic, it's ridiculous that during a game I have no idea at what sort of an injury my player has just picked up. Even if he is whisked away in an ambulance as glamdring suggested, news is still going to filter back to me, and I'm still going to have a rough idea on what part of his body is damaged.

Right now it's just a dot with a cross and a lot of guesswork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

All we're saying is that the commentator doesn't know everything. It might filter back to him 10 mins later, which would be pointless by then. Commentator doesn't know where it's a dislocated shoulder or a bruised bellend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe so, but if a player gets a minor injury and appears to be running with a slight limp, or is on the floor clutching his knee before getting up and being able to carry on, albeit with a knock, then he would surely be able to tell that it appears to be a knee injury.

You see it all the time on live broadcasts, when a player is down, the commentator talks about the potential injury.

At the moment, with the little green cross, you never know if it's a pulled hamstring, or a stubbed finger, whilst the commentator would clearly be able to at least make an educated guess on the location of the injury.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Commentary in game is just a way of telling you what is going on because you can't actually see it yourself as you would be able to if it was real. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't that support my suggestion then? I can't see if it's a head injury or a leg injury.

Lol, Eduardo would not have got a green cross. I thought we were talking about that particular injury? Maybe Arsene should have given him 5 mins? See how he goes? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point of bringing up Eduardo's injury is every man and his dog knew what had happened immediately, but as an FM manager I'd have to wait until after the game to find out my player's leg had just been shattered, which is ridiculous.

Do players ever get green cross head injuries?

I can see the usefulness of some more information on green cross injuries, but red cross injuries is just an addition I can quite happily live without. As long as it is inobtrusive I guess I don't care if it is included either though.

I still think a player's condition with a green cross injury gives the information you need to determine whether to substitute the player or not though. My only gripe with those if if I am not concentrating or have it on key highlights and 10 minutes whizzes by before I can click on tactics to substitute a player who has picked up a green cross injury and has something like 20% condition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

I still think a player's condition with a green cross injury gives the information you need to determine whether to substitute the player or not though. My only gripe with those if if I am not concentrating or have it on key highlights and 10 minutes whizzes by before I can click on tactics to substitute a player who has picked up a green cross injury and has something like 20% condition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe a brief physio report could pop up when a green cross injury occurs? It could even have a physio recommendation, ie "it's not going to get any worse" or "not worth risking him" etc.

As for red cross injuries, I agree it wouldn't really make a difference, it just amused me that my player could break a leg and I'd have no idea he'd done it on match day.

Do players ever get green cross head injuries? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Bruised head, bruised jaw, facial injury, and gashed head are all "walking wounded" green injuries.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duck my sick:

sirdez24 - i agree with you 100%

This should be added to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thankyou. In return let me commend you on a magnificent username.

Original Poster - It's a good idea and to me seems like an obvious thing to include for FM09. Fair enough that the commentry wouldn't know the full extent of the injury, but there isn't any way of telling whether it's a broken leg or a dead leg.

It's not a crucial thing - but it'd be useful just to know in game, rather than waiting. Impatience icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vanpersie11:

Agree icon14.gif

Also a Physio would pretty much know what the injury was when he treats him - so why can't there be a message some where telling you what it is (or at least what it might be). Maybe some where in the tactics screen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that, physio feedback rather than commentator feedback. John Motson very rarely tells Arsene Wenger his players are injured! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, definitely. Also, after about 20 minutes, "Gabriel Clark, on the touchline" seems to know the ins and outs of the players injury, and lets the Viewers know. Surely that should be true to FM too.?

(Also, how is it ALWAYS G. Clarke on the touchline, lol. I don't ever remember getting some feedback from the touchline on SkySports when it hasn't been him icon_confused.gif )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Agree icon14.gif

I agree with that, physio feedback rather than commentator feedback. John Motson very rarely tells Arsene Wenger his players are injured! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, definitely. Also, after about 20 minutes, "Gabriel Clark, on the touchline" seems to know the ins and outs of the players injury, and lets the Viewers know. Surely that should be true to FM too.?

(Also, how is it ALWAYS G. Clarke on the touchline, lol. I don't ever remember getting some feedback from the touchline on SkySports when it hasn't been him icon_confused.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't Geoff Shreeves do it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Agree icon14.gif

(Also, how is it ALWAYS G. Clarke on the touchline, lol. I don't ever remember getting some feedback from the touchline on SkySports when it hasn't been him icon_confused.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't Geoff Shreeves do it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though he had the "Pre-Match" news?

Just wondering, but, can players still have career ending injuries in FM?

I recall COMPLAINING VERY LOUDLY about this a couple of years ago ... since the game has no provision for insuring against this happening.

However, it was fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

Agree icon14.gif

Though he had the "Pre-Match" news? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least he's better than Garth icon_wink.gif

Agree icon14.gif

Though he had the "Pre-Match" news? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least he's better than Garth icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, no one likes him icon_biggrin.gif (not even the players/managers that he interviews. icon_eek.gif)

Agree icon14.gif

One more icon14.gif

Maybe the way around all of this would be to have a box for the assistant manager to talk to you? All the time you see managers conferring with their staff on the side lines, maybe they could say "Smith appears to be struggling with his hamstring" or "Jenas doesn't seem to have recovered from that clash with Duncan earlier, maybe we should consider taking him off?"

Also I think there should be a report at half time on all of the injured people from the first half. If, for example, a player was out for the rest of the season you could use that to motivate your players at half time ("Let's do it for Eduardo") or something...

Just an idea. Let the bashing begin!!

Maybe its time to introduce Audio commentary in FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea. Apart from the fact that many players play with the sound off, imagine the trouble of recording/text-to-speeching hundreds of thousands of player names. Unless you want to see "he fouls him! He takes the free kick quickly. He passes the ball wide to him. He crosses it in to him. He volleys it first time! He scores!!" :p

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

Maybe its time to introduce Audio commentary in FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea. Apart from the fact that many players play with the sound off, imagine the trouble of recording/text-to-speeching hundreds of thousands of player names. Unless you want to see "he fouls him! He takes the free kick quickly. He passes the ball wide to him. He crosses it in to him. He volleys it first time! He scores!!" :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point icon14.gif but if it does say over to "someone" at pitch side on the bottom of the screen we might miss it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe its time to introduce Audio commentary in FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think we are a good few years off that. Can't help thinking it would be very monotonous and repetitive. Once mastered, however, it would be brilliant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm not sure you need to know all the details during the game. If he has to come off, then he's coming off. After the game it will tell you the extent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily. On older versions there were certain injury types where you could leave the player on the pitch (wrist injuries, facial injuries) and others where you had to consider the potential for making the injury worse.

So in CM 01/02 it would say 'potential knee injury' and then you had to make the decision on whether it was worth risking him relative to the importance of the match or what fixtures you had coming up.

Now you just look at their condition and make a decision based on that.

I know it's basically the same thing but I preferred the mechanism involved with CM 01/02 with the risk vs reward aspect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont ever remember it telling you mid game in CM that the player had a potential injury icon_confused.gif

In terms of actual game decisions most of this won't change anything. As when he's broken a leg, you have too sub, he just cut his leg, he's still subbed. The only piece of gameplay change I'd really love to see is when the player is on the sidelines with the physio (sometimes you see it in a highlight while plaing on), you should be informed by the physio when he's finished of what is wrong with the player.

Quite often in real life you'll see a manager waiting on a physio's feedback before deciding to sub a player. Especially so on injuries a few minutes before halftime. They'll decide to stay with ten men until the second half so they have time to diagnose the problem.

This is something I've brought up before and something that should definitely be in the game.

In real life when a player gets injured the physio will run on and do his thing. If the player then stays on the pitch I doubt very much that the physio just wanders back over to the touchline without uttering a single word to the manager. The manager will want to know the extent of the injury and the risk of leaving his £15m, £60,000 per week player on the pitch.

The manager should absolutely know more about injuries, particularly 'green cross' ones, as and when they happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KnightedManager:

How about for 'green crosses', you can go to the tactics screen, and then when you click on the little icon, a brief Physio report comes up. Like his first ideas on the injury. The better quality your physio, the more accurate the initial diagnosis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like this. If he has 1 for physiotheraphy he would scream "It's alive! It's alive!" and you'd band your head on to the screen for hiring a doofus like that. Get a good physio and he can even comment on whether he believes the player has enough left in him to get through the whole game with no problems. Makes staff contribute more without creating any complications to deal with.

Archived