Press Conference questioning

Just been asked who I think will win League 1 this season (09/10) rather pointlessly. I'm Huddersfield, and 18 points clear, with 18 points available, and a better goal difference than Southampton in 2nd by about 30. So why ask me who I think will win the League? And why say the players may react negatively to me saying we'll win the league, when barring a set of comical results, i'm obviously going to win it? Also why claim once the questions have been asked, that it's a bizarre suggestion to claim we'll win the league? The game needs to take into account the table, positions for playoffs, relegation, qualifying for Europe etc when asking questions and going on about the reactions of the players to my answer. Should also ask before games as to whether you feel you're going to win the title/survive relegation towards the end of the season, especially if you're 1 game away from doing something important, and afterwards, should question you about how you feel about winning the league, staying up, winning a cup, etc. Really needs to be improved in that respect.

Some managers won't say they'll do x until it's proved beyond all doubt.

Perhaps your squad is nervous about winning the title?

It IS slightly bizarre that Huddersfield might win League 1, along with it was bizarre that Ipswich made the UEFA Cup, Norwich beat Bayern Munich and National team Calais made it to the French Cup final one year

Yes, but what he's saying is he's all but won it already.

The same thing happened to me with Celta in the Liga Adelente. I wasn't clear cut to win, and it went down to the final game, but I was guaranteed first or second at that point. My players reacted negatively to my suggestion that we were going to win. I'd been predicting we were going to win from halfway through the season when I was 15 points clear of second place. And guess what, I may have only won the league by 1 point but I did win it. The press conference thing as a whole is just a whole game of silliness.

Archived