Is My Game Broke?

After reading several (hundred) threads about the doom and gloom of FM10 I just can't help thinking "why is this not happening to me, is my FM10 game broke?"

I'm Tottenham and playing with 3 mates over the net, we have 3 league games left (1st season). I'm 6th (so not exactly brilliant), they are Man U 2nd, Liverpool 3rd and Man City 5th. Man City won the League Cup, it's Liverpool Vs Man City in the FA cup final, and Liverpool are about to play Real Madrid in the CL semi final.

So now you know how we're doing I'll move on with the actual subject

The Long Shot Bug:-I've had a couple of fantastic shots past me, I'd expect that, but it doesn't happen anywhere near often though. In fact if anything I think more long shots go in IRL. I took everyone, but Modirc, off long shots as so many of mine were going high wide and handsome.

The Players Unmarked at Free-kicks Bug:- This just does not happen to me, EVER. I've conceded a couple for sure, but they've just been either a good ball in, or someone has peeled to the back post and Ledley "wake up" King has been sleeping and not gone with his man.

The AI scoring 17 Goals In Injury Time Bug:- Of course I've conceded the odd late goal to draw a match I should have won, but this has happened very very few times. I just time waste a bit and keep possession, seems to work fine, and as I said I'm 6th with Tottenham so I'm far from being a tactician guru.

The Defenders Not Tackling Bug:- All I can suggest with this is to buy Gareth Bale and Sebastian Bassong, both of whom make tackle after tackle for me. Bale is also exceptional at blocking crosses if he can't make the tackle. Corurka was my other right back and didn't do anywhere near as well as Bale, so I started playing Hutton who looks fine.

The AI making 10 changes per match Bug:- I watched the League Cup final between Man City (this being my mates team) and Chelsea, after 36 (Thirty Six) seconds it said "Nick Turner making tactical changes". Now granted, this was because he had his attacking tactic still set up from his previous match, but even so "Nick Turner making tactical" came up about 10 (shock horror) times, especially in the 2nd half after he went 2-1 down and battled back to 3-2 up.

The Unrealistic Results Bug:- Tottenham 9 Vs 1 Wigan

So that's about that, if anyone is interested I bought my game from Game in Telford Shopping Center. Should I return it?

p.s A thread on this board wouldn't be a thread without a little moan, however it's about a player, not the game.

Modric wants to move to a bigger club and when asked about it I said "I understand his concerns, but want to match his ambitions e.t.c" On safe ground normally, but then my star summer signing, Angelo Palombo, said he was disappointed with the way I handled the situation!!! I mean what do you want from me Angelo??? Place our best player on the transfer list and sell him to Inter for about 20 million? Is that what you want Angelo, is it??? Coz it ain't going to happen!

The only issue that i've had is Long range goals. However it's usually my team that are scoring them and my two strikers have good long range stats. As for the other problems you mention I've had none. All i can say about FM10 is that it is a lot better than FM09.

I suggest you arrange a chairty boxing match with Palombo and sort it out man to man.

The only issue that i've had is Long range goals. However it's usually my team that are scoring them and my two strikers have good long range stats. As for the other problems you mention I've had none. All i can say about FM10 is that it is a lot better than FM09.

I suggest you arrange a chairty boxing match with Palombo and sort it out man to man.

I feel the same. FM10 is by far the best FM EVER!

The only bugs of any kind I've personally had are substituted players not regaining the 9-10% fitness after the game that players who finish the match get and sometimes at halftime my teams ratings disappear when i do a teamtalk.

I've seen very few long shots go in, but I've only played at lower leagues so far and all the complaints seem to come from people playing in top leagues with better players, so can't comment on that.

I barely concede from freekicks, and score from them much more often.

I concede more goals in the last 15 mins than any other point in the match, but I also score more - I presume this is caused by the computer going more attacking to nick a win/draw, so they are more likely to score, but leave themselves more open.

The defenders not tackling 'bug' I think is completely false imo - most people watch the key highlights - ie when the attacking team get the better of the defence - if the defence had got their tackle in then it wouldn't have been a highlight.

Surely the 'making tactical changes' would include the computer changing mentality, or individual instructions - as its the pause while the game recalculating the match that we see, the same as when we make a simple change. Its not like they're changing from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 to 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 to 4-2-4 etc..

Unrealistic results - Possibly happen more often than in real life, but FM seems to have more goals in it imo. But Tottenham 9-1 Wigan and Portsmouth 7-4 Reading are recent(ish) extreme examples of it IRL.

All in all, my game must be broke too :)

Defending has been confirmed as an issue. I only need to look at the match and player stats to see that my wingers are making nearly as many tackles as my defenders are. Thats just not right.

As for some of the other problems, well I'd say there are more long shots then you would expect, but from my own personal experience, it isn't a great deal more, though it is a tad annoying.

For the AI tactical changes, well I can't really say I see this as an issue. I don't think some people realise just how many changes actually make. Just watch a manager during a match, especially when a team isn't doing well and you'll see them regularly shouting things to their players.

As with long shots, I would say there are too many unrealistic results, but again, not loads more then expected. Still a bit annoying though.

The only problem I have which I'd consider 'game-breaking' is marking from corners, set pieces and crosses. The latter is particularly damaging when you take into account the way full-backs defend (ie - they don't) and the consistent quality of crossing at all levels. I have two central defenders who are good in the air, have decent positioning, bravery and anticipation ratings, but they just don't go near strikers attacking the ball aerially.

However, it goes both ways and I find the AI is awful at marking me when I cross balls in too.

I've had these problems in football manager series forever!!

Long Range Shots: david beckham managed to lob my wimbledon keeper from his own half. I mean what could I do

Late Goals:I was bayern Munich in the champions league final against man utd. I was 1-0 up and completly dominated for 90 mins,conceded 2 corners in injury time and both of them went in.(corner bug anyone)

I then left and took over as AC Milan manager got to another champions league final, went 3 up at half time and then told my team not to become complacent, conceded 3 goals in 10 mins! ridiculous.(team-talks are so overpowered!

It must be my tactics

Hopefully the patch'll sort this. I can upload screen shots if needed;)

Long Range Shots: david beckham managed to lob my wimbledon keeper from his own half. I mean what could I do

Late Goals:I was bayern Munich in the champions league final against man utd. I was 1-0 up and completly dominated for 90 mins,conceded 2 corners in injury time and both of them went in.(corner bug anyone)

I then left and took over as AC Milan manager got to another champions league final, went 3 up at half time and then told my team not to become complacent, conceded 3 goals in 10 mins! ridiculous.(team-talks are so overpowered!

It must be my tactics

so true, so so true...

I've been thinking the exact same thing.

Another thing, loads of people go on about "those matches" when you dominate and lose 1-0 from the oppositions only shot, this happens (if at all) so rarely for me I can't remember an example.

I am also playing as Spurs (somehow 16 points clear in the League after 34 games of the 4th season)

Bale and Krancjar (lost Modric to Madrid early on) are absolute monsters for me, simply brilliant.

Love this game but I wish someone would beat me! (just won 7-3 on aggregate against Inter in the CL Quarter Final)

It must be my tactics

I don't deny those memorable comebacks and it is possible. I only question happening so frequent like in FM10?

It must be my tactics

You've unwittingly proven the opposite point you meant to.

These matches are classics, and we all remember the matches you refer to, precisely because they are SO FREAKING RARE. They come along EVERY FEW YEARS.

In FM10, things like this happen once a month or two to EVERY team, it would seem!

, but i've had GARY NEVILLE score from 30 yards against me, bit unrealistic.

Not really, I have a DVD of United's Premier league goals and one was from Gary Neville who said it was pouring down and he couldn't be bothered going back so he stayed there, the ball came out to him so he took a shot. Well outside teh 18yd box

You've unwittingly proven the opposite point you meant to.

These matches are classics, and we all remember the matches you refer to, precisely because they are SO FREAKING RARE. They come along EVERY FEW YEARS.

In FM10, things like this happen once a month or two to EVERY team, it would seem!

Here mate if you think matches dont get turned around week in week out your kidding yourself.

I was only having a laugh and using well known examples. ;)

Here are some more recent ones and if I applied any research I'm sure there are many more!

Hull won around a match there a week or two ago when they were a goal down with a 90 minute goal.

A week before that arsenal were 2 goals up against west ham and got pegged back in the last 15 minutes.

And another 1 i can think of was sunderland drawing 2-2 and scoring 3 goals in the last 15 mins against wolves.

Its obvious most goals are scored late on in the game as players tire, concentration dwindles etc.

I have suffered a few turnarounds, but the challenge of the game is to see what happened and try to stop it happening again. Also it has happened in my favour a few times too.

But I'm sure people forget these very easily, if you dont walk the premier league and champions league each season people complain. :rolleyes:

Nah. You're missing the point entirely. This isn't a "I'm not winning, it's not my fault" whinge.

In fact, I'm playing as Eastleigh, and I have only experienced one of these miraculous comebacks -- luckily the team only came back to 3-2 and weren't able to equalize. But if you read this board you can see that this problem is widespread.

In real-life, even if you have imperfect tactics and an imperfect team-talk that doesn't truly inspire, it's still very rare for a team that plays the other off the park for the first 45 minutes will suddenly turn into helpless lambs to the slaughter that literally just stand there while the other team runs past them and bangs in four goals in a half. And I mean VERY RARE. In FM10 it's a REGULAR OCCURENCE, and this is preposterous.

I like the game difficult, actually, my main criticisms of most versions are that it's too easy. But this is a specific bug/problem where confidence/complacency plays far too massive a role.

In real life tactics, mental wherewithal, complacency, etc. all play a real role. But by far the most important thing is talent/skill.

FM10 has forgotten that in my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, professional and semi-professional footballers know how to play their position. They know what to do in any given situation. Sure a manager's tactics have an impact, but if the manager gets one or two things wrong, his professionals will not just curl up into the fetal position and watch the other team defeat them, like they seem to at times in FM10.

If you were to compare the frequency of these comebacks in real-life and in the game, I think we can all easily guess that they will not synch up too much.

THE GOAL IS REALISM.

I never said you in particular i'm talking about the general forum public.

I agree with you entirely our goal is realism. But you have to understand human nature is to be frustrated with conceding late goals or a whole match being turned around etc. These

people that come on threads and start posting about losses and draws of matches you should have won.

I'm sure they were very quick to say they had made game winning decisions in all the right areas, and this was the contributing factor to their victory!

My point is unbelievable and ridiculous results do happen in football, and comebacks happen frequently too. Already posted examples and there are many more. I haven't found any at this stage in this game, so maybe you'll agree I have the right to be suspicious towards the weekly struggles many have faced.:rolleyes:

The Long Shot Bug:-I've had a couple of fantastic shots past me, I'd expect that, but it doesn't happen anywhere near often though. In fact if anything I think more long shots go in IRL. I took everyone, but Modirc, off long shots as so many of mine were going high wide and handsome.

I suggest you let Kranjcar have long shots too, he has dug me out of plenty of holes with some wonder strikes :D I love it and hope he keeps pulling them out of the bag.

It must be my tactics

I know right, and when ever I play against Man Utd, Paul Scholes seems to ghost in from nowhere, completely unmarked and scores screamers. The AI must be using a broken tactic. ;)

Defending has been confirmed as an issue. I only need to look at the match and player stats to see that my wingers are making nearly as many tackles as my defenders are. Thats just not right.

As for some of the other problems, well I'd say there are more long shots then you would expect, but from my own personal experience, it isn't a great deal more, though it is a tad annoying.

For the AI tactical changes, well I can't really say I see this as an issue. I don't think some people realise just how many changes actually make. Just watch a manager during a match, especially when a team isn't doing well and you'll see them regularly shouting things to their players.

As with long shots, I would say there are too many unrealistic results, but again, not loads more then expected. Still a bit annoying though.

Long shots are also confirmed and will be toned down by 20% next patch

Archived