How to retire a jersey number?

I'm currently playing with Real Madrid and I'm waiting for Raul to retire. Surely, if there's currently a player who deserves it, it should be him :)

Also Steven Gerrard comes to mind. Not to mention a certain Alessandro D.P.

I'm also managing Real and waiting for raul to retire. I stick him on lg cup games and some other unimportant games. When he retires I am hoping to make him a coach (maybe ass man if he has good JA & JP)

Don't think it's possible in Spain due to number registrations from 1-25. A player who definitely deserve it is Francesco Totti.

Good thinking! I forgot about that :)

@ LFC: Yeah, he claims he wants to be a coach in my game so as soon as he's ready to retire I'll try to hire him as a coach and see how he does.

I don't think Man Utd (or any English club for that matter) would ever retire a number, unless a player dies while still playing. They didn't do it for Cantona, they didn't do it for Keane, and I doubt they would do it for Giggs or Scholes either, it isn't something they do. I'm also not sure they have become "iconic" with the club. But it's hard to know what other people in Europe think about them.

Guys like Raul, Totti, Del Piero...they are all iconic at their clubs, and I think it's a more common practice in mainland Europe. Although it would be interesting to find out if AC Milan retired the numbers Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Costacurta used during their careers. Also whether they intend to retire the number that Massimo Ambrosini uses. I think Totti is almost 100% certain to be the last player to use his number. Although he may choose to pass it on to Daniele De Rossi. I seem to recall that Totti and De Rossi have the same number listed as their preferred number on FM10. Perhaps they will retire it after De Rossi retires :)

Although it would be interesting to find out if AC Milan retired the numbers Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Costacurta used during their careers.

I believe Milan retired Maldini's number. They'll only bring it back if his son makes it to the first team. He's in the youth team at the moment.

Completley off subject but when Wayne Gretzky retired from the NHL all the teams retired their number 99 shirt in his honour. How cool is that?

Major League Baseball retired #42 for all clubs in honor of Jackie Robinson, the man who broke the color barrier in MLB.

Sorry, off topic.

Would a player have to be a worldwide legend, or just the greatest player at a certain club? I mean, would a mid- or lower-league team ever earn a club legend in FM?

Major League Baseball retired #42 for all clubs in honor of Jackie Robinson, the man who broke the color barrier in MLB.

Sorry, off topic.

Would a player have to be a worldwide legend, or just the greatest player at a certain club? I mean, would a mid- or lower-league team ever earn a club legend in FM?

Yes absolutely. I'd imagine it would be the same as higher clubs, ie, a player that plays their whole career at 1 club.

Retiring squad numbers is a stupid sentimental practice that should be banned before players are forced to wear stupidly high numbers.

The number 14 jersey at Ajax was retired in Johann Cruijff's honour, but he at least had the sense (and the ego, admittedly) to suggest that instead of retiring the number, the club should assign it to the most talented player in the team.

Retiring squad numbers is a stupid sentimental practice that should be banned before players are forced to wear stupidly high numbers.

The number 14 jersey at Ajax was retired in Johann Cruijff's honour, but he at least had the sense (and the ego, admittedly) to suggest that instead of retiring the number, the club should assign it to the most talented player in the team.

Not as pointless as most clubs retiring the number 12, as a dedication to the fans or "12th man". How corny, as if players give a rats about the fans!

I don't think Man Utd (or any English club for that matter) would ever retire a number, unless a player dies while still playing.

Chelsea have unoffically retired Zola's 25, no players had it since he left and I don't think the board are that stupid to ever let anyone have it again. I believe its only because its such a random number though where as eg. Osgoods number 9 shirt hasn't been retired.

Good thinking! I forgot about that :)

@ LFC: Yeah, he claims he wants to be a coach in my game so as soon as he's ready to retire I'll try to hire him as a coach and see how he does.

In the past on FM10 i've actually hired a past Icon of the club as a player coach and it's worked. I offered him taht contract in the last 3 months of his playing days, and yes he reitred from playing and of May that season and became a coach at Liverpool

I think retiring Jersey numbers is a stupid idea. I'm not disrespecting any legends or players who have died (far from it in fact), but we have to believe that football will be around for many years to come, hundreds no doubt. If we keep retiring numbers when a legend retires or if a player dies, we'll end up with no squad numbers left.

it is a bit of a weird practice, after all it would be understandable for liverpool to retire 23 for carragher cos no-one else has really worn it (though im thinking a young fowler was maybe 23 when squad numbers started?) but its pretty insulting to previous players when a traditional number is involved - how many great real madrid players have worn 7, or 8 at liverpool, or 10 at roma, but they are all ignored and the number is retired for the modern-day icons instead? Boo. In american sport it kinda works as they have had squad numbers for years so it is more of a meaningful gesture.

I doubt that they will retire the number for many decades. For instance at Arsenal they had number 6 and 10 retired for a few years (Adams and Bergkamp respectively). But I think that at many clubs you have to earn the numbers. At Roma, for example, I don't think some Baptista type will get the nr. 10 after Totti. The same goes to Juventus and so on and so on. Also Lyon had nr. 17 retired for Foe for a period. Another Cameroonian (?) Makoun is wearing that number now. The only club who has forever retired a number is Inter after Facchetti. There may be others, but that one is the one I can remember now.

I doubt that they will retire the number for many decades. For instance at Arsenal they had number 6 and 10 retired for a few years (Adams and Bergkamp respectively). But I think that at many clubs you have to earn the numbers. At Roma, for example, I don't think some Baptista type will get the nr. 10 after Totti. The same goes to Juventus and so on and so on. Also Lyon had nr. 17 retired for Foe for a period. Another Cameroonian (?) Makoun is wearing that number now. The only club who has forever retired a number is Inter after Facchetti. There may be others, but that one is the one I can remember now.

Man City also retired Marc Vivien Foe's number,

Im a West Ham fan and as you probably know, the club retired the No6 Shirt after Bobby Moores sad passing. Since then, we have had no desire to ritire any shirts, just the bleeding gits who wear them :o

They only retired it 2 years ago. It was actually being worn by Upson and was retired in a pre season friendly at half time.

If it is in the game, then I hope there is an option to unretire (not sure if that's a word but it's all I got :p) numbers. Or perhaps you can only "retire" a certain amount of numbers? I have never come across it, but I never played long games before. But I think it's a great idea to have it, and I would only use it in exceptional circumstances, like someone breaks the all time appearance record, or all time top scorer.

I can't see that they could let the game get to the point where you have no numbers left.

I'm not sure any player has to "earn" their number at a club...

I'd say the opposite was true - clubs don't care what number their players wear, whereas players are very superstitious, egotistical and picky when it comes to numbers. It's like a status symbol. For example, most players would turn down the #7 shirt at Manchester United after David Beckham left for Madrid, but Cristiano Ronaldo is such a big-headed, dumb, leg-shaving little sissy that there was no way he'd turn it down.

I'm not sure any player has to "earn" their number at a club...

I'd say the opposite was true - clubs don't care what number their players wear, whereas players are very superstitious, egotistical and picky when it comes to numbers. It's like a status symbol. For example, most players would turn down the #7 shirt at Manchester United after David Beckham left for Madrid, but Cristiano Ronaldo is such a big-headed, dumb, leg-shaving little sissy that there was no way he'd turn it down.

I thought the clubs decided the numbers????

and im all for retiring squad numbers in honour of someone.

I remeber years ago when i was in the Rangers young supporters club. They appointed Niel McCann the 11 shirt which the previous holder was Brian Laudrup,. There was a whole story on it, saying how much of an honour it was to get the Rangers number 11 shirt. In that they had all the people who had been presigious enough to wear it.

Yes numbers have to be earned. But if a player makes the number prestigious why not make retire it.

Also if im right in thinking hasnt it only been the Maldini family who has wore the number 3 shirt at Milan.

Archived