Oh Dear Oh Dear

Finally got to spend some time playing this game over the weekend and what a let down. Built up a decent tactic. After 11 games (with Ipswich Town) had won 5 and drawn 5, losing 1. Had only conceded 6 goals - all coming from opponents shooting between the half way line and the box - ie ridiculous long shots. Lying in fourth - not bad. Saved game and returned later looking forward to renewing my game with my defensively sound tactic, having lost only 1 of 11 games (fixtures included away trips to West Brom and 'Boro). Lost 4-0 at home to Swansea. Wtf? But it continued. How is it possible to go from conceding 6 in 11 games (against better opposition) to conceding 28 in 7? That's right, I conceded 28 goals in 7 games and couldn't win to save my life. It's not my tactics. I repeat, its not my tactics. Most of the games I lost I had dominated and had more shots on goal. Most of opposition goals came from long shots - ie well outside the box. Didn't we have this problem before?

Also, I tried to buy a guy called van den Laak (Groningen). He's on approximately 10,000 per week with his club. I offered him 22,000 per week. No go. Other players on 2,000 also said no. There was I thinking players were in some way motivated by money. What player would turn down double salary (especially when he's 27 and offered a 4 year deal) - or even a ten fold increase in his salary? They do it all time time in this gibberish.

I'm very disappointed with the match engine despite the decorative touches. So much for tight marking. So much for defenders tackling - none of mine did! So much for closing down. So much for improvements in the match engine. Same old problmes - only this time they look prettier (for those who like that kind of thing).

Loading a large database doesn't help much. Why so many players in their mid to late 30s? When will players actually be tempted with significantly higher wage packets? Press conferences are repetitive and boring after a few months of play time. And don't try and close down an opponent when your assistant suggests it - inevitably he scores against you - most likely with a ridiculous ling shot. In the real world, how many managers actually give a damn about when the opposition have scored most of their goals or when you score most of yours? Each game is played on its own merits.

The best of all though (and what made me pack this game in) was an opposition free kick just outside my box. My defenders have completely vacated the right side of the box containing 4 (that's "four") opposition players and the ball ends up with one of them - he misses but the ball eventually falls to an opposition between the half way line and my box. For those of you who haven't already guessed, a goal followed.

Overall, there are too many nonsense features which detract significantly from the match engine - long shots and irrelevent stats being the prime culprits. The match engine is very, very poor and has major flaws. As does the game in general which fails completely to have regard to the financial realities of the game.

I'd prefer a refund to a patch anytime. It'll take a lot more than a patch to rescue this nonsense.

was u happy when u were winning? :)

I had concerns - given the long shot bug in particular. Was very disappointed with the match engine - even when I had started well. Also, as you know, I can only sign players in the window. The problems there were apparent at a very early stage - and did detract fromt the game at that time.

Did the player(s) you were trying to sign have long to run on there contracts and also had they been at the club a long time and have them as favourite club coz normally they would sign if they r within ur level ability wise. As with the issues u have raised im sure with a bit of tinkering u will soon get back to winning ways. Maybe ur players r not good when tight marking and if get turned then may not have pace or determination to get back on the player.

Did the player(s) you were trying to sign have long to run on there contracts and also had they been at the club a long time and have them as favourite club coz normally they would sign if they r within ur level ability wise. As with the issues u have raised im sure with a bit of tinkering u will soon get back to winning ways. Maybe ur players r not good when tight marking and if get turned then may not have pace or determination to get back on the player.

With players and money, I would have thought money is the main motivation - especially as players move towards 30. As for players not been suited to certain tactics - how is it possible for them to lose 1 in 11 conceeding 6 and then (after game is reloaded), go on such a miserable run - against poorer opposition - with the same tactics? Player for player - mine were superior in each case and dominated the vast majority of games in the losing streak.

maybe it was over confidence as on my save (Arsenal) i have had a few shocking defeats to teams with lower rep but can go to Anfield and win 2-1 and home win 3-0 against Chelsea. Just think its down to how u build them up as i now have gone down the road of being extra critical with performances against supposedly lower rep teams

I just encountered a late equaliser that reeked of a cheating AI. I was 0-1 up away at sheffield United with Newcastle. Having dominated the entire game missing some great chanses from within the 6 yard box!! the game reaches the final few minutes. Then Sheffield got a goal kick. The ball gets kicked over the middle and Danny Guthrie who is in the flight off the ball decides to run away instead, letting the Sheffield player getting a nice and easy first touch. Then he went forward but his pass was intercepted by Joey Barton (loving him btw). The ball falls between Coloccini - Kadar and a Sheffield player. Coloccini who is closed to the ball and has no direct opponent doesnt step in but freezes like a frozen caveman. Instead Kadar, who is marking a man runs towards the ball but is miles away. He leaves his man wide open, the free man receives the bal from the Sheffield player that easily won the bal from Kadar and is one on one with Harper. Coloccini is still frozen stiff at the edge of the box only watching Sheffield make the equaliser.

Now in this event, that only took seconds i see 3 things that arent realistic.... especially the 'reserved' ball phenomenon where a ball falls between a set of players and the one that is the furthest away from the ball runs towards it instead of the two others who were a lot closer.

damn cheating ai!

maybe it was over confidence as on my save (Arsenal) i have had a few shocking defeats to teams with lower rep but can go to Anfield and win 2-1 and home win 3-0 against Chelsea. Just think its down to how u build them up as i now have gone down the road of being extra critical with performances against supposedly lower rep teams

Which boils back to the point I was making. SI introduce a new feature (the "your team perform not so well against poorer opposition") and they inflict it discriminately on us. They inflict it to the point where it becomes a farce. Are SI seriously suggesting that favourites, as a general rule, suffer from overconfidence, and therefore, as a general rule, are beaten? Would any of their staff remain with them if the oppositon offered a ten fold increase in salary? I think the game is very, very poor - I'm very disappointed with it. Good luck with your Arsenal game.

Ty but i would advise u to stick with it as i experienced the same things and to some degree am still doing so. Win 3-0 against Chelsea at home then follow up with a 2-1 away win against Liverpool. Then my next game is at home against Wolves who have been struggling and i am top by 5 points with 3 games to go. The Bookies make me 1/10 to win but manage just a 2-2 draw after going in at half time 2-0 up. Very frustrating indeed but it does even itself out overall. I then get to the Champs League final against Sevilla and within the first 6 mins De Rossi gets a straight red and i go in at half time 1-0 down. I show a bit of encouragement to the team and win 2-1. Games i think r certain wins dont always work out and games i think i just gotta keep the score down for a respectfull defeat turn out to be victorious.

One thing i learnt about this game is nothing is ever certain and tbh i quite like that as it never gets too easy and boring. Quite like supporting Arsenal irl :)

You've made a valid point about the tackling and the free kick issue. I consider the poor closing down and tackling the biggest flaw in the match engine, while the free kick issue is a minor but annoying one. However, outside of those two, I think the match engine is absolutely brilliant. It's in no way very, very poor, not even a little bit poor. It's generally fantastic, easily the best match engine I've ever seen in any management game. It has its flaws but they're by no means game breaking. I understand your frustration, but your completely exaggerating. The game isn't poor or nonsense, it's very good and absolutely playable. It just has its fair share of flaws but nothing that a patch can't amend.

You've made a valid point about the tackling and the free kick issue. I consider the poor closing down and tackling the biggest flaw in the match engine, while the free kick issue is a minor but annoying one. However, outside of those two, I think the match engine is absolutely brilliant. It's in no way very, very poor, not even a little bit poor. It's generally fantastic, easily the best match engine I've ever seen in any management game. It has its flaws but they're by no means game breaking. I understand your frustration, but your completely exaggerating. The game isn't poor or nonsense, it's very good and absolutely playable. It just has its fair share of flaws but nothing that a patch can't amend.

Tackling and free kicks and poor closing down. And long shots/goals. Quite enough to make the match engine a heap of nonsense I would suggest. If you, despite those flaws, consider it to be "fantastic", we can simply agree to disagree.

Ty but i would advise u to stick with it as i experienced the same things and to some degree am still doing so. Win 3-0 against Chelsea at home then follow up with a 2-1 away win against Liverpool. Then my next game is at home against Wolves who have been struggling and i am top by 5 points with 3 games to go. The Bookies make me 1/10 to win but manage just a 2-2 draw after going in at half time 2-0 up. Very frustrating indeed but it does even itself out overall. I then get to the Champs League final against Sevilla and within the first 6 mins De Rossi gets a straight red and i go in at half time 1-0 down. I show a bit of encouragement to the team and win 2-1. Games i think r certain wins dont always work out and games i think i just gotta keep the score down for a respectfull defeat turn out to be victorious.

One thing i learnt about this game is nothing is ever certain and tbh i quite like that as it never gets too easy and boring. Quite like supporting Arsenal irl :)

Thank you for your replies. I've abandoned all hope on the game, I've played it since the glory days of years gone by! In my view, the developers and the game have lost it. Good luck with your onging game(s). I've put mine away - permanently.

Thank you for your replies. I've abandoned all hope on the game, I've played it since the glory days of years gone by! In my view, the developers and the game have lost it. Good luck with your onging game(s). I've put mine away - permanently.

Oh well, last year you seemed to feel the same about FM09...

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2310163&postcount=1

Let's see what you'll be posting next year about FM11 :thup:

Well dude hopefully u will find the drive to come back as surely u would agree it would be a shame to have to give the game up that u have played for years gone by.

I can understand his anger.....the game is abit of a let down.

So much hype about this fm 2010 edition, and its only slighty better than CM10 whatever its called nowdays

Very Disappointed with S.I.

Individual opinions may vary, but the general feeling is that it's streets ahead of CM10. What's without a shadow of doubt however is that FM10's match engine is lightyears beyond CM10's.

This is becoming yawnsome. Three hundred posts a day from people who aren't doing very well and insist it's the game. I don't know about anyone else but I sense a correlation there.

It may not be your tactics OP, but I sure as hell think it is something you don't do right. How is player morale? Are you praising players at the right time, not enough or too much? Players insisting their tactics are not to blame is as bad as the idiots who come on to say 'it's your tactics'. How are you so sure it's not your tactics? Are you Alex Ferguson?

I don't really think you've given it enough time to say the game is broke. Have you tried to change things? You had a bad game against Swansea by the sounds of things and that's led to a slump. I find it hard to believe most of the goals you concede are long shorts. I have not seen anything of the sort.

I might suggest you vary things in an effort to improve and try to raise morale rather than lowering it even further by damning players who will already have low morale. Of course I don't think you want to.

This is becoming yawnsome. Three hundred posts a day from people who aren't doing very well and insist it's the game. I don't know about anyone else but I sense a correlation there.

It may not be your tactics OP, but I sure as hell think it is something you don't do right. How is player morale? Are you praising players at the right time, not enough or too much? Players insisting their tactics are not to blame is as bad as the idiots who come on to say 'it's your tactics'. How are you so sure it's not your tactics? Are you Alex Ferguson?

I don't really think you've given it enough time to say the game is broke. Have you tried to change things? You had a bad game against Swansea by the sounds of things and that's led to a slump. I find it hard to believe most of the goals you concede are long shorts. I have not seen anything of the sort.

I might suggest you vary things in an effort to improve and try to raise morale rather than lowering it even further by damning players who will already have low morale. Of course I don't think you want to.

After 11 games, I had conceded 6 goals. Why would I change things? Player morale was fine before the Swansea game. Most (significant majority) of the goals conceded were long rangers. The reason I can't blame my tactics was its reasonable to believe the tactic would continue to be effective. But, what had worked for the opening 11 games flopped drastically for the next tranch - polar opposites. I never damned the players for the flop. Not sure what tactic can possibly defend against miracle longs shots or what's the point in asking defenders to mark tight when they always give acres of space and prefer playing "us and them" when defending close range free kicks. Incidnetally, the team included Wright in goal, Rolando Schiavi as libero/sweeper, Baloy and Ponce as CB's, Roseroir as RB and Fabio (Man Utd) as LB. Not a bad defence! And its not that they were taking time to bed in - look at success of the first 11 games.

Individual opinions may vary, but the general feeling is that it's streets ahead of CM10. What's without a shadow of doubt however is that FM10's match engine is lightyears beyond CM10's.

I haven't tried CM10 and don't really intend to. But I can't imagine a match engine as laughable as FM2010, 10.1. If you haven't encountered any of the difficulties I have described, (and which seem to have been reported with reasonable frequency by others using this forum), then I hope you continue to enjoy your game. Maybe a patch will be released but I really couldn't be bothered - the game has been dying on its feet for years for me and I think it's finally gone. Despite the obvious need for a patch, we dare not ask what the plans are or when it is anticipated one will be released. We all know how the big bad wolf reacts to such queries from their valued customers. Which copper fastens the loss of interest, I must admit.

What I have noticed is that teams WILL change to a formation that exploits holes in yours!

So, they'd probably adapted to your formation and you need to change it.

Maybe Mick MacCarthy should have tried that against Chelsea. That would have thought them! Don't you think consistency in tactics and in player personnel are a foundation to success?

The title of this thread made me think ' To me, To you. To you, To me. To me, To you.' :p

Also, I tried to buy a guy called van den Laak (Groningen). He's on approximately 10,000 per week with his club. I offered him 22,000 per week. No go. Other players on 2,000 also said no. There was I thinking players were in some way motivated by money. What player would turn down double salary (especially when he's 27 and offered a 4 year deal) - or even a ten fold increase in his salary? They do it all time time in this gibberish.

Yeah i have noticed that if a player is not intrested in joining you on FM10. Then your not going to get him no matter what you offer him. ( unless you win promotion and improve your teams rep)

Unlike on FM09, Where you could manage to tempt some players to join(Who had no intrest of joining) By offering them higher wages than what they were currently getting & give them an high signing on fee/ high bonuses. Just like real life.

Im not sure why they changed this for FM10 ...?

The title of this thread made me think ' To me, To you. To you, To me. To me, To you.' :p

Yeah i have noticed that if a player is not intrested in joining you on FM10. Then your not going to get him no matter what you offer him. ( unless you win promotion and improve your teams rep)

Unlike on FM09, Where you could manage to tempt some players to join(Who had no intrest of joining) By offering them higher wages than what they were currently getting & give them an high signing on fee/ high bonuses. Just like real life.

Im not sure why they changed this for FM10 ...?

It is a bit silly I think. I mean there are many clubs in the Championship (and some big clubs below) who should be able to attract good players from abroad, given their facilities, traditions, finances etc. I can understand a Premiership player who prefers to slug it out for a place rather than drop a division or take a big hit in wages, but a foreign player having an opportunity to join a team aiming for the Premiership and with more than double the wages on the table when he's in his late 20s.......I'm sure his agent and wife would be delighted with him.

Maybe Mick MacCarthy should have tried that against Chelsea. That would have thought them! Don't you think consistency in tactics and in player personnel are a foundation to success?

I play 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-1-2-1-2 and 3-4-3.

All but one of those are variations on 4-4-2. So how is that not a consistency of tactics and/or personnel?

I haven't tried CM10 and don't really intend to. But I can't imagine a match engine as laughable as FM2010, 10.1. If you haven't encountered any of the difficulties I have described, (and which seem to have been reported with reasonable frequency by others using this forum), then I hope you continue to enjoy your game. Maybe a patch will be released but I really couldn't be bothered - the game has been dying on its feet for years for me and I think it's finally gone. Despite the obvious need for a patch, we dare not ask what the plans are or when it is anticipated one will be released. We all know how the big bad wolf reacts to such queries from their valued customers. Which copper fastens the loss of interest, I must admit.

If you think FM10's match engine is laughable, you're going to die laughing when you see CM10's match engine. Reading your last sentences, it's starting to seem like you simply have an agenda against SI. Yes we know the reactions of SI, i.e. that they can't give a date yet. Because if they give one too early and miss it, the very same people crying foul over SI not giving a date will be the first ones to complain that the patch is late. For some people, SI can't do any good no matter what.

With players and money, I would have thought money is the main motivation - especially as players move towards 30. As for players not been suited to certain tactics - how is it possible for them to lose 1 in 11 conceeding 6 and then (after game is reloaded), go on such a miserable run - against poorer opposition - with the same tactics? Player for player - mine were superior in each case and dominated the vast majority of games in the losing streak.

Obviously when you were playing better teams they played different tactics against you than the poorer opposition. Did you dominate against the poorer teams and leak goals? you were probably hit on the break.

Do you think just because you beat a good team with a tactic it should automatically beat a lesser team? There playing entirely different football.

There dont seem to be any plug and play tactics anymore, and it seems like thats what you are expecting.

This fm version is micro management, if you cant watch everygame and watch for minor changes in the match you will be punished. Sadly i think SI have alienated alot of casual players.

I have had enough of people complaining, the computer cheated that's all I hear all the time. If you scored loads of goals from distance you wouldn't complain would you, If you watch real life football sometimes when a opponent can't break down a defence they shoot from distance if you don't have a decent keeper of course you will leak goals this way. Its the same with crosses would you complain if you leaked many goals from crosses? Everything works on your keeper and your defence, if your keeper is poor and so is your defence what do you expect.

I only have one question for the moaners if you was the won winning by scoring long range goals would you complain!

yes this would **** me off equally as much!!! long range goals over and over every match is not realistic.

Well alot of people wouldn't be ****ed off! I have not had many long range scored passed me. When i concede it seems to be by a well thought out move

Well alot of people wouldn't be ****ed off! I have not had many long range scored passed me. When i concede it seems to be by a well thought out move

I for one haven't suffered much conceded goals in last minutes to loose a game. I won them but 3 out of 5 games the opposition team seemed to go to the bench and take some steroids. Really, they do.

Boo-hoo. Hope you kept your receipt.

Really a whole post just for that? are you kidding? That is trolling.

Keep it on Topic, please. No bashing! The OP has every right to criticize the game as much those that write how much they like the game.

It's not you, it's Ipswich Town, there must be something in the water, we can play well for a few games and not lose and then we'll play like Norwich the next few games.

Indeed. Although things may be improving slowly but surely. I can imagine if Roy Keane tinkered as much with his tactics and personnel as some posters think is "real", then he'd be rightly slated for not giving his team a chance to settle.

I have had enough of people complaining, the computer cheated that's all I hear all the time. If you scored loads of goals from distance you wouldn't complain would you, If you watch real life football sometimes when a opponent can't break down a defence they shoot from distance if you don't have a decent keeper of course you will leak goals this way. Its the same with crosses would you complain if you leaked many goals from crosses? Everything works on your keeper and your defence, if your keeper is poor and so is your defence what do you expect.

I only have one question for the moaners if you was the won winning by scoring long range goals would you complain!

Yes, I most certainly would. As you should have read above, I had concerns about the match engine before my team flopped. Maybe your own success in the game is blinding you to the obvious about the match engine? In my game, the vast majority of goals were ridiculous long shots - are you seriously suggesting this is the case in real life - or that it suddenly becomes acceptable if you win nonetheless? All post demo pre game launch comments, from forum users and SI, were that this was the best match engine and that hours and hours and hours and hours and hours had been spent improving things. But the bottom line is the game is, to a certain extent dictated by ridiculous new features - ie opposition tend to score in abc minutes and touchline shouts - if these new features aren't used, you suffer - that's the "improvements" in the match engine. I don't think its realistic, but if you do, and if you are not encountering the problems I (and others) have commented on, then good for you and enjoy your game.

So you need a much better keeper and a much better Assistant manager ;)

My 'keeper was Richard Wright. My Assistant was Brian Klug. Please feel free to tell me who I should sign in their place (after you have read my commnets on trying to sign van den Laak above).

^^ Try the Serie A. Impossible to have a good streak. I just won or drawed about 6 matches in a row, was in a good form, dominated and created chances, including beating Inter and drawing Fiorentina away,. Then all suddenly I play against the team positioned at the 19th, and they rape me and win 2-0. WTF?

A few things I have noticed with this version:

1) Don't tweak too much. Every team's form will dip at some stage and there is a real urge to start tweaking - but this can make the slide even worse. If you have a set of tactics you have faith in then you need to tough out the bad times and try and keep your teams confidence up with team talks/contract offers etc...

2) Consistency is really rewarded. The 'gel' rating really is very important. So if you are constantly chopping and changing then this can upset the team balance - resulting in losses against sides you theoretically outskill.

3) Also - just as in real life - some teams will struggle against teams with a lower reputation (just look at Liverpool) whilst performing great against better teams. You can affect this by altering the 'determination' of your team and using team talks to be a lot more harsh on your team when playing 'poorer' teams.

Unfortunatly I have to agree to some of the things Tie Figter says. Over the last few years the game has moved away from a sports sim that the old CM used to be, and more to a strategy game, where if you know how to beat the AI you will have success. I think those who are struggling (including myself) are still trying to play the game like a sim. If outwiting the AI rather than the opposition team is the only way to win that takes all the fun out of the game for me and I think eventually will lead to the end of the FM title.

Archived