Absolutely Disgusted By the Power of AI Changing Tactics

Just played Chelsea at home in a League Cup match and got shockingly dominated. Even though my tactic has seen me control most matches and is fairly strong at retaining possession. At half-time I had only 35% possession. Issued touchline shouts to hassle and get stuck in and proceeded to get one of my players sent off. At this stage I had been getting about 35% possession still. The game ended up going to penalties and I finished with 42% possession.

Now what I noticed is, every 5-10 minutes, quite literally, Chelsea would change their formation. I tried switching from control to attacking to standard to counter and all that happened was I still got dominated.

Quite frankly, this is nothing short of disgusting. I try to make sensible adjustments and am absolutely powerless in terms of having a say how the match goes. My only conclusion is that if the AI changes tactics it pretty much gains control of the match and unless you make the 100% right adjustment it will continue to do so. The fact that I actually gained more possession after having a player sent off just adds to the stupidity of it all.

I've lost games where I've dominated and quite frankly, they've been a lot more enjoyable and logical than what I just experienced.

Just played Chelsea at home in a League Cup match and got shockingly dominated. Even though my tactic has seen me control most matches and is fairly strong at retaining possession. At half-time I had only 35% possession. Issued touchline shouts to hassle and get stuck in and proceeded to get one of my players sent off. At this stage I had been getting about 35% possession still. The game ended up going to penalties and I finished with 42% possession.

Now what I noticed is, every 5-10 minutes, quite literally, Chelsea would change their formation. I tried switching from control to attacking to standard to counter and all that happened was I still got dominated.

Quite frankly, this is nothing short of disgusting. I try to make sensible adjustments and am absolutely powerless in terms of having a say how the match goes. My only conclusion is that if the AI changes tactics it pretty much gains control of the match and unless you make the 100% right adjustment it will continue to do so. The fact that I actually gained more possession after having a player sent off just adds to the stupidity of it all.

I've lost games where I've dominated and quite frankly, they've been a lot more enjoyable and logical than what I just experienced.

which team are you playing with? if its a below midtable team like sunderland its quite obvious you will get dominated. In fm2010 is much much harder to beat a top side, do not ever think you can have a higher posession than chelsea unless you are barcelona or manU. I play with benfica and i always sit deep looking for counters, and i managed to draw 1-1 agaisnt ManU at old trafford.

It can be annoying. It can feel like theres nothing you can do sometimes... Thats why i play on extended as atleast i have a slightly higher chance of spotting their changes!

It can sometimes lead to me having to change my OI every 10 minutes as they change formation although soemtimes it will be too late and i will have missed the change in formation and then BAM, they've already scored. It can happen with players too. I've been leading and not realised a sub striker has come on and then he poos all over my defence because i failed to spot it and therefore didn't give him OI instructions like close down.

Do AI managers ever make the wrong decisions tactically? When we are successful, is it because we got our tactics perfect? or is it because the AI made a mistake..? It certainly seems to feel like when we are the ones to make a mistake, that we get punished immediately! The AI can't be tactically spot on every time can they?

My main bug bear(in terms of AI changing tactics) is that in a game vs valencia i specifically set a CB to mark David Villa which was working great until they changed formation and now that CB had been magically changed to man mark the other striker... and considering i play zonal marking... it meant both my centre backs were marking the other striker leaving David Villa completely free to score.. Fortunately it had no effect on the result as i was infront and i then finished them off! But surely it should have kept the player marking him instead of it changing without my knowledge!

Maybe we are all just paranoid! :p and the AI are exactly like us... possibly even thinking "Damn that human manager never gets it wrong!"

I'm playing as Liverpool.

My next game was 4 days later and also against Chelsea, only at their home this time. I went out with the exact same formation and same team, bar Sandro who was suspended. The difference in possession is staggering, particularly given the stronger result was away. It should also be noted, that at no point in the second game did I ask my team to retain possession or pass to feet. In the first game, I did.

Furthermore, in the second game, Chelsea did not alter their formation anywhere near as often. I can only conclude that the AI controls the flow of the game by changing tactics.

I simply cannot fathom the sequence of events. At home, I ask my team to retain possession and pass to feet and basically can't even get a glimpse of possession. 4 days later, same formation and same team bar one player, no possession keeping instructions and away to the same team and I hog the ball?

In terms of the results I am actually quite happy with how things turned out, but in the context of the game I hate it. How the hell are you supposed to know what to do when the things that should at least half work fail, and the things you were trying to do are achieved by doing nothing in a harder situation?

First Game

eg1.png

Second Game

eg2.png

A perfect example of why you should watch your matches in full. You can't exepect to have a good control over your in game tactics if you don't watch half of the game.

What are you worried about? You bloody won one and drew the other. So they played better, their manager changed the game with his tactical genius, he kept you guessing about what they might do next and, most importantly, you didn't play as well as you expected.

I honestly don't understand what you are grumbling about. What do you expect opposition managers to do? Roll over and let you win or provide you with a challenge? I can't see anything that's not realistic anywhere in this thread.

I'm really enjoying my own game. One game I'll play amazingly well against a top team, then in the next game I'll play dismal against the bottom club. The bottom club will employ tactics that halt me and stutter me or I'll choose the wrong formation for the game. I don't ever expect to just pick the same as the last game and go out and do as well week in and week out.

That's how it should be. A unique experience each game.

I see that you are not compaining about how lucky you were in game 2 when you had 1 clear cut chance but managed 3 goals !!! ;-)

I honestly couldn't care less about that. There's a moment in the 1st game where Vukcevic passes to an offside player with half the goal open to him inside the box. I can tell you I didn't deserve to win either game.

My problem is not the results, nor based on them. It's the effectiveness of the oppositions changing of tactics and what IMO is the rather over-powered impact they have.

Anagain mentioned picking the wrong formations. That's really what my beef is. IMO too many formations are the wrong formation because they are not a direct response to what the AI has put forward. It seems like everything I am required to do (whether or not I succeed in doing them) is based on what the AI is doing. Basically, I feel the value of having a tactic that plays to your strength is rather diminished because the flow of the game is not about the questions you ask as a manger. but how well you respond to those asked by the AI. Of course this should be a part of the game, but it feels to me like the AI is the only one who ever gets to ask the probing questions. Frankly I find that annoying.

I've just played Chelsea at the bridge with Hull and won 1-0, had "hassle opponents" and "retain possesion" and my touchline shouts and had 50-50 possesion, they had the better of the game though
Well done, mate. You're getting the hang of it. Amazing how some managers vent their frustrations on these forums against the ME and the game as a whole (and SI), when in reality, they're just mediocre managers and expect to win against a very smart AI. They just don't bother to learn all aspects of endless tactic variations this amazing game has to offer and still expect miracles.

watch matches in full? u think we have time? some of us work and do other things than play fm

fm this year is same old same old, u have a tactics that works, then all of a sudden the ai decides it knows exactly how to counter it

i won 3-0 vs united at home with arsenal

then went on a run untill i played bolton and drew 0-0 (super keeper saved a few 1 on 1s)

then played birmingham and dominated them, went into halftime at 1-0 then as soon as i came out for the second half, birmingham city, that mercurial passing team started to pass in some intricate triangles before passing to the awful gary o connor who hit an anglked drive from an intricate angle into the top corner

how realistic! of course joe hart goes on to save a few 1 on 1s and etc

It's only a game. Take the good with the bad and laugh about it. You'll feel happier.

Now, who would have thought that Spurs would demolish Wigan 9-1? If this had to happen on FM10 and if you were Wigan some of you would probably run to the SI Community Forums, cursing FM10 and SI: How is this possible? It would never happen IRL, the ME is broken, the game is unplayable, I'm giving up!

watch matches in full? u think we have time? some of us work and do other things than play fm

fm this year is same old same old, u have a tactics that works, then all of a sudden the ai decides it knows exactly how to counter it

i won 3-0 vs united at home with arsenal

then went on a run untill i played bolton and drew 0-0 (super keeper saved a few 1 on 1s)

then played birmingham and dominated them, went into halftime at 1-0 then as soon as i came out for the second half, birmingham city, that mercurial passing team started to pass in some intricate triangles before passing to the awful gary o connor who hit an anglked drive from an intricate angle into the top corner

how realistic! of course joe hart goes on to save a few 1 on 1s and etc

I've started watching matches on full with this edition of FM and I can't believe the difference it makes. I'm enjoying the game even more than ever and find myself really gaining a much better understanding of what is happening. Oh and, yes, I work full time and I'm also trying to work my way through Dragon Age at the same time.

All in all it means I'm in Feb 2010 after a month but I've enjoyed that month.

And do you know how long it takes me to play a game on full match? About 45-60 minutes is all. It's faster than you'd think because I felt the same till this year. I'd always been put off playing in full and stuck to extended. I'm so glad I changed.

Oh, and you hit a block in form. You played two teams that employed a tactic that stunts the one you use and you have suffered for it. You could have altered your formation, you know. Did you? Or did you just carry on playing the same old tactic week in week out? If you did then you have no complaints as to being found out.

You may argue that if a tactic works well then it should carry on working well, but my answer to that is that is doesn't, and shouldn't. If that was the case wouldn't the big teams play the same way every week? No one does, and even if they do for a few games they eventually have an off day. That's the off day when they can only manage a draw against Bolton and Birmingham.

Alter and vary. That's the way to success. Confound the opposition and do what they'd least expect. I often tell the team talk that I'm going to go all out attack when I really plan to sit back and control the match. The one day I decided to be honest, I lost. I was 4-0 down before I altered things and managed to come back to 4-2.

<...>About 45-60 minutes is all. It's faster than you'd think because I felt the same till this year.<...>
You could increase game speed by a notch, it would still be perfectly watchable and obv. it would be even faster than that. I normally watch games in extended and leave full for important matches like crucial semi-finals and finals.

I still think good players should have more of an impact than your tactics. So playing as Man Utd etc should provide you with greater resistance to opponents tactics. Let's face it, Chelsea play a diamond in real life, they will continue to play a diamond, and they will continue to do well. Big teams DO play the same way most of the time in real life. Opponent tactics do not always work, and yet after a while, it is like every team in the league has the perfect counter for you, and they suddenly turn into Barcelona, and average keepers turn into Buffon/Casillas, and average strikers turn into Torres/Rooney, and you suddenly can't win a single game on FM.

A perfect example of why you should watch your matches in full. You can't exepect to have a good control over your in game tactics if you don't watch half of the game.

Looks like a perfect example of how FM has gone very micromanagement thereby taking the joy out of the game for a lot of players. :thdn:

The fun has gone from this game now.......

The casual FM player has been screwed....i havent got the time or energy to watch every single match

or tweek tactics for six hours before every game, if one does....fair-enough

but like i said, im a casual player......

This season in the English Premier Division.

Liverpool lose against Tottenham Hotspur, in part thanks to a 30-yard screamer from Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Wigan defeat Aston Villa, Chelsea, and become the first team this season to defeat Burnley at Turf Moor, then go on to lose 4-0 to Portsmouth and 9-1 to Tottenham, Jermaine Defoe scoring five goals.

Tottenham lose 1-0 to Stoke at home, as well as the above to.

Cameron Jerome scores a wonder goal from 30 yards against Liverpool.

Darren Fletcher hits a top-corner volley that Xavi would be thrilled with.

Liverpool go on a streak where they win one of 10 games - the game won was against Manchester United.

Richard Dunne, who scored just 7 goals in nearly three hundred appearances for Man City, scores 2 in one month.

Darren Bent scores against each of the top 4. Sunderland beat Arsenal.

Liverpool become awful.

And I haven't even mentioned the beachball!

The unpredictability is not only realistic, it's what makes the game fun and enjoyable. If i'm Manchester United, why would I even bother playing the game if I thought that anything but a win in a home fixture against a bottom 10 side was a bug? Would I just play other top 4 sides and cup finals?

Also, how do you know it's the right thing? 'Retain posession' is basically just telling your team to be more withdrawn and pass and move. Posession is a good thing, so i'm sure everybody would say 'retain posession' - it's like having a button that says 'score a goal.' It's the point of the game.

But if your passing game is off, your players are being closed down, your playmaker is being marked - then saying 'retain posession' is the wrong thing, even if you aren't having much of it. That's why you need to view the game. I don't see what stops you anyway, it's not a race. If it takes you a few months to finish a season, all the better!

I took charge of Slovenian champions NK Domzale.

I began with a boring rigid defensive system and nicked a few 1-0s, it was going well.

Then the injuries came and the new players weren't suited to my system at all - I kept getting beat until my team were in 9th place (out of 10) and I got the sack towards the end of the season.

Thing is, I wasn't paying much attention - I was whizzing through each game on "key moments". I pretty much deserved it. I'm now manager of Ghana in the world cup (same game) [haha, they gave me the job - that MUST be a bug!] - my first game is against Mexico tomorrow, and that WILL be a full game.

Put it this way, managers outsmart each other all the time. They'll see when things aren't going well and change their tactics. For the AI not to reflect that is unrealistic.

And if the game's version of Alex Ferguson gets the better of you, then that's realistic as well.

I think this game is about pitting your footballing wits against the best while sitting behind your desk. The game tries to represent "the best".

Think about it - if you were in charge of Liverpool, the players are doing a good job and taking the game to Man U, would you not expect Ferguson to have some tricks up his sleeve? Or to spot the way you were playing and counteract it? And would you have the knowledge to counteract him?

Maybe people are too soft these days. There was a time when games were supposed to be hard, and you got satisfaction from finding a way to beat them.

Maybe they should have three modes for the next version "easy", "medium" and "realistic".

In easy, their manager always plays the same formation and never changes tactics except at halftime.

In medium, the tactics can be changed, but only once each half, and at halftime

In realistic, the AI gets the same rights to change tactics as you have.

I think the problem is that this version of FM seems more geared towards the serious and committed player than open to all levels of interest.

Why would there be options available to watch only key highlights if the only way of achieving sustained success is to watch each match in full? What about people like me who want to find a pretty successful tactic or two, and then buy the players to improve the squad and get through a couple of weeks every hour of game time? I've achieved massive success on FM2009 with this approach, so I think it should work in this version too.

I have no wish to join the hoards of people who throw their toys out of the pram and blame anyone but themselves whenever they lose a game they should have won, but I am inclined to agree with the people who think that SI have lurched in the direction of favouring the AI in the match engine. The computer seems able to suss out your tactics before your own players have adapted to them!

I've started watching matches on full with this edition of FM and I can't believe the difference it makes. I'm enjoying the game even more than ever and find myself really gaining a much better understanding of what is happening. Oh and, yes, I work full time and I'm also trying to work my way through Dragon Age at the same time.

All in all it means I'm in Feb 2010 after a month but I've enjoyed that month.

And do you know how long it takes me to play a game on full match? About 45-60 minutes is all. It's faster than you'd think because I felt the same till this year. I'd always been put off playing in full and stuck to extended. I'm so glad I changed.

Oh, and you hit a block in form. You played two teams that employed a tactic that stunts the one you use and you have suffered for it. You could have altered your formation, you know. Did you? Or did you just carry on playing the same old tactic week in week out? If you did then you have no complaints as to being found out.

You may argue that if a tactic works well then it should carry on working well, but my answer to that is that is doesn't, and shouldn't. If that was the case wouldn't the big teams play the same way every week? No one does, and even if they do for a few games they eventually have an off day. That's the off day when they can only manage a draw against Bolton and Birmingham.

Alter and vary. That's the way to success. Confound the opposition and do what they'd least expect. I often tell the team talk that I'm going to go all out attack when I really plan to sit back and control the match. The one day I decided to be honest, I lost. I was 4-0 down before I altered things and managed to come back to 4-2.

im pretty sure arsenal have played 4 3 3 every game this year

im pretty sure with ronaldo, united played pretty much the same way every time vs weaker sides etc etc

birmingham city should not be passing the ball around that well considering how horrible they are in real life to watch

HOOOOOOOOOOOF

mind u, barry fergason has passing 19 and creativity 19 (lolololol) which probably helped

im pretty sure arsenal have played 4 3 3 every game this year

im pretty sure with ronaldo, united played pretty much the same way every time vs weaker sides etc etc

birmingham city should not be passing the ball around that well considering how horrible they are in real life to watch

HOOOOOOOOOOOF

mind u, barry fergason has passing 19 and creativity 19 (lolololol) which probably helped

Arsenal don't play 4-3-3, according to Wenger. It's 4-1-4-1.

I won La Liga in my first season with Seville but ruined the save by buying too many players in the summer.

I am now in La Liga as Villareal and top after 16 games. I only play on key currently. I had a tactic at the start of the season which wasn't working, looked at the match stats etc, saw I was having too many long shots and wasn't getting enough support from midfield, so tweaked the tactic and won 9 on the trot. This was only watching key highlights and after I had "club is under-achieving" from 80% of the squad. You CAN win only watching key.

I won La Liga in my first season with Seville but ruined the save by buying too many players in the summer.

I am now in La Liga as Villareal and top after 16 games. I only play on key currently. I had a tactic at the start of the season which wasn't working, looked at the match stats etc, saw I was having too many long shots and wasn't getting enough support from midfield, so tweaked the tactic and won 9 on the trot. This was only watching key highlights and after I had "club is under-achieving" from 80% of the squad. You CAN win only watching key.

:thup::thup:

My problem stems with how the AI is able to "turn it on" when needed. Much of my season has played out like this:

1. I score a goal.

2. Computer immediately changes style.

3. Computer scores.

4. Computer reverts to normal tactics.

5. I score.

6. Computer changes style.

7. Computer scores.

8. Computer reverts.

Repeat. Over and over.

My problem stems with how the AI is able to "turn it on" when needed. Much of my season has played out like this:

1. I score a goal.

3. Computer scores.

5. I score.

7. Computer scores.

8. Computer reverts.

Repeat. Over and over.

i think your spot on with this post

Well done, mate. You're getting the hang of it. Amazing how some managers vent their frustrations on these forums against the ME and the game as a whole (and SI), when in reality, they're just mediocre managers and expect to win against a very smart AI. They just don't bother to learn all aspects of endless tactic variations this amazing game has to offer and still expect miracles.

Haha thanks, at the end of the day I was lucky against Chelsea but changed to a counter attacking system, played with fast wingers, a fast striker, and 2 centre mids who would run all day, had a solid DMC and a back four who were defensively set, admittedly, had I of conceeded first it probably would of been a bit score to them but you've got to work on the tactics like you say. I do think in some games the AI does amazing because sometimes they have 1 chance and win 4-0 but I just get on with it.

1. I score a goal.

3. Computer scores.

5. I score.

7. Computer scores.

8. Computer reverts.

Repeat. Over and over.

Try changing your tavtics when you score then.........

1. I score a goal.

3. Computer scores.

5. I score.

7. Computer scores.

8. Computer reverts.

Repeat. Over and over.

That seems like real life to me.

If you score, they're bound to change tactics to get back on level terms, before retreating into their shells after the equaliser.

Maybe for the next one, they should introduce "macro-tactics".

These might take the form of "when we lead, we press for another goal" or "when we lead, we close shop" or "when we lead we play as default setting". So that, effectively, we can tell the AI automatically what to do before the game for certain situations. It's pretty automatic the way managers and players react in real life. They know what they're going to do well in advance for certain situations.

Maybe a more sophisticated version "when we are losing by more than one goal use [saved Tactic]"

Such "macro-tactics" would help casual players who are playing with just "key highlights".

I suppose it's similar to entrusting the assistant manager to handle tactical changes - but the big difference would be that it's YOU making the changes in advance and not some bad-stats assistant manager.

The code is already there for this sort of change, as the AI makes these decisions automatically all the time. Let the human player control such automation for their team, and it should improve things.

A poster on an unrelated blog said that FM was now the gaming equivalent of an Excel spreadsheet - a spot on comment. For those of us without a UEFA coaching badge, it's becoming less of a game and more of a chore in some respects.

I'm still hooked though:)

Try changing your tavtics when you score then.........

This is exactly my problem. Why should we have to change tactics just because the AI does? It implies that every change the AI makes is successful, which is exactly what annoys me so much. It's even worse when it is not a team like Chelsea and instead a Stoke or Hull. As a result of their changed formation they start dominating the game. It's absolutely stupid because it implies that these teams have the capacity to dictate the game. They certainly have the ability to get a result but they do not do it by controlling the game. They do it by stealing goals on the counter or from set pieces.

Birmingham went to Anfield and got a draw, but would anyone say they dominated the game? Does anyone think Brum even have the capacity to dominate a match at Anfield?

The other thing I hate is the inconsistency between AI and human managers in the last 10 mins. Whenever I lead by 1 I see a ton of highlights with the AI attacking. I'm not saying this is unrealistic (though sometimes it is), but so often when I am down by a goal in the last 10 mins and go to overload I just see the clock tick by without so much as a highlight. I wouldn't say that the result in the last 10 mins is wrong, but the way it happens certainly is. If the AI wants a goal, if it doesn't score one it at least gets to create many chances, regardless of whether they have the capacity to just take the game by the scruff of the neck. But whenever I go to overload I don't get so much as a series of highlights?

I have a few formations which I know combat certain AI formations. Therefore I scout them to see what they use and adapt accordingly. Now this is in the German Third Division, but the principle is still the same, IMO.

This is another example of what I feel is taking the fun out of this game, and also what is wrong with it. The game has become all about mirroring. Regardless of how superior or inferior the opposition is, the emphasis now is on playing a tactic that is a response to how the AI is playing. The fun for me is designing a tactic that plays to my team strengths. The value of having such a tactic is too often and too easily diminished by a relatively poorer team playing a certain shape or changing it's shape.

This thread more than proves the point I tried to make last week with my 'Make levels of difficulty thread.

My idea was to have several levels of difficulty based on how responsive and accurate the AI opponent is. It seems to be wanted by many even if they dont know it. Imagine the outrage if SI dumbs the game down?

SI, please, allow a few different levels of difficulty and please a greater portion of your customer base.

This is another example of what I feel is taking the fun out of this game, and also what is wrong with it. The game has become all about mirroring. Regardless of how superior or inferior the opposition is, the emphasis now is on playing a tactic that is a response to how the AI is playing. The fun for me is designing a tactic that plays to my team strengths. The value of having such a tactic is too often and too easily diminished by a relatively poorer team playing a certain shape or changing it's shape.

If you want to play this way you will need superior players. Play as Man City or Real Madrid.

Problem solved.

But at the same time, I AM using my team's strengths. All bar one of my formations are variants on 4-4-2 which all my team understands and can adapt to and from easily.

I've been pretty successful on FM10 without going into the tactics too deeply and I watch games on key moments only.

I haven't set individual tactics once just put one together using the tactic creator and make sure I've got corners/free kicks properly set up.

I think team morale, team talks and what you say in press conferences is as important as spending hourse tweaking with your tactics plus signing the right kind of players. I never sign a player who has to 'adapt to fit in' as I think it will unbalance the squad. And I like my players to have a determination of at least 10. I do a little work on training, get the max amount of coaches in and try and raise the stars as high as I can, not always easy at smaller clubs mind! I keep my scouts busy, get a good assistant and take advice from my backroom staff.

I took Cambridge United to the premier league and then started a new European game. First two jobs were a disaster, spent no time looking at the squad and was completely gung ho with team talks and press conferences, not caring what I was saying just to see if it made a difference. My first job in Bulgaria, I lost 11 of the first 13 games and resigned in disgrace. 2nd job in Holland I got the team relegated.

Then was offered a job in Sweden, I went back to the principles I used with my Cambridge game. First season I got them out of relegation and won the Swedish Cup. 2nd season I should have won the title but threw it away at the end - not unrealistic as my media prediction was 7th. Finished 2nd. And in my 3rd season am 2nd in the league after 10 games.

I dont seem to concede any more early/late goals, long shots or set peices than my opponents. Yes its frustrating at times but I'm sure any real life manager would say exactly the same thing!!!

Quite impressive on my At. Madrid save i came 2nd in first season because Barcelona only lost 1 game and drew 2 all season. I just couldn't keep up that kinda record. Especially in my first and only season so far

On Topic:

This is exactly my problem. Why should we have to change tactics just because the AI does? It implies that every change the AI makes is successful, which is exactly what annoys me so much. It's even worse when it is not a team like Chelsea and instead a Stoke or Hull. As a result of their changed formation they start dominating the game. It's absolutely stupid because it implies that these teams have the capacity to dictate the game. They certainly have the ability to get a result but they do not do it by controlling the game. They do it by stealing goals on the counter or from set pieces.

Birmingham went to Anfield and got a draw, but would anyone say they dominated the game? Does anyone think Brum even have the capacity to dominate a match at Anfield?

The other thing I hate is the inconsistency between AI and human managers in the last 10 mins. Whenever I lead by 1 I see a ton of highlights with the AI attacking. I'm not saying this is unrealistic (though sometimes it is), but so often when I am down by a goal in the last 10 mins and go to overload I just see the clock tick by without so much as a highlight. I wouldn't say that the result in the last 10 mins is wrong, but the way it happens certainly is. If the AI wants a goal, if it doesn't score one it at least gets to create many chances, regardless of whether they have the capacity to just take the game by the scruff of the neck. But whenever I go to overload I don't get so much as a series of highlights?

This :thup: happened on nearly every version

What delboy said, well sort of..

In this year's game, I've been reasonably successful. I use the wizard, drop down boxes for roles and duties and touchline shouts EXCLUSIVELY. I refuse to see even one slider because I feel like it takes away from the authentic manager experience. I also watch games on key only because my work hours can get a little crazy and I need to cram as much FM in my free time as possible. (Also I got greedy and started 3 save games simultaneously :) )

IMHO, one CAN get into this game without micro-ing. Just pay attention is all. Use all your analysis tools and mind your match stats. Consider your staff's advice. Above all, look after MORALE.

One of the most important tools in the game is the motivation wizard in the match display. To me this is one of THE most important thing of all.

I've read many threads about how this game is cheating/broken/too hard/too involved and I wonder how many players pay attention to in-match motivation and general morale. I could write a 1000 words about my thoughts on the mental side of FM. If anything, one of the game's big flaws is a lack of proper documentation of the role of motivation and morale in the game. It can literrally make or break your season.

Of course, like the above poster said, football is a funny old game. You win some and lose some. Just press continue and if you have your wits about you, you'll figure it out soon enough.

Just my 2 cents.

Archived