Leaking Goals

I'm managing Shelbourne in the League of Ireland, and the defence just won't stop leaking goals. It's cost me so many games at this stage and my job hangs in the balance. The back 4 are all very good players, they just always concede stupid goals. Any Advice for me?

If you need any more info on the team just ask

If you want to play a more secure formation you should be playing a chelsea(mourinho) style 4-3-3 with DM to protect your back four. that would allow you much more security.

Do you have the personel to play this?

No not really, I've no players that can play DM, could you show me the layout of this Formation please mate?

I found that the classic 4-4-2 formation (with one midfielder backtracking on defense to act as a DM) that has served me so well over the past 3 versions was all but useless this time around...gave up something like 22 goals in 8 games. This was after converting the tactic to "classic" style, though.

No problem mate, unless your dealing with world class players there is no point in asking them to do what they cannot do, unless my players are at least +12 in each key stat in defence i just require them to get shut of the ball. under that limited, above that change them to CB defend. A nice touch is also to find a player who can play as a DMC and MC but with CB as his natural postision who you can set to ball playing CB, put a stopper alongside him and he will step out and act as a deep lying playmaker of sorts.

No not really, I've no players that can play DM, could you show me the layout of this Formation please mate?

No worries.

--------------------------GK----------------------------------

-----------RB-------CB---------CB---------LB-----------------

-------------------------DM----------------------------------

-------------------CM----------CM---------------------------

---------AMR-----------------------------AML----------------

-------------------------ST------------------------------------

Its also worth seeing if you have a CM who might have DM as competent or accomplished position rather than natural. If competent then you can play this player at DM whilst retraining him to be natural or accomplished in this position if already accomplished then no worries play him there.

Let me know whether you have such a player.

I've found a back four doesn't work with poorer players, I've had to switch to a 3-1-4-2. Two CB's marking the strikers and one spare CB with pace in the middle of them on zonal marking, also have the wing-backs marking the opposition wingers. I play them in the ML & MR positions but the game recognises you're playing a back 3 and so they are more cautious than in a 4-4-2.

I sit deep and narrow and hit teams on the break, started W0 D1 L7 with Redditch and now W9 D5 L12.

Archived