Skewed team reputations

I've skipped FM09, but I'm wondering if there is a long-term issue in the game that might still exist. It's about a team's reputation in Football Manager 2008.

In FM08, clubs starting out with a "continental" reputation from Scotland, the Dutch Eredivisie or the German Bundesliga would decrease quickly to "national" reputation, regardless of success and results. F'r instance, this is a screenie from a save in which I took Bayern to the CL semis twice in a row. Likewise, neither Ajax nor PSV nor Rangers nor Celtic nor HSV, Schalke and Bremen carry their "continental" reputation anymore. They all did at the start of the game.

In the very same save, Ligue1 side OSC Lille finished 4th, 7th, 9th from 2007/2008 onward, are now on their road to finish runners-up behind Lyon and somehow got promoted to "continental". In the same way, one successful season of a La Liga or Premier League club could very well got them promoted from "national" to "continental" levels. The UEFA rankings still look very much as they do in real-life in that save above, with the EPL coming in first, then La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 in that order. Dutch Eredivie is ranked 7th, Scotland's Premierleague 10th. In any case, considering that a league is meant to have its own reputation rating on tops, there was something very skewed with the team reputations in FM08 apparently. And while I appreciate some of the added difficulty coming from this for some clubs playing in those leagues, it's still what is is: Something not working quite right.

Does this happen in FM09 too? Can't tell about FM10 yet.

Haven't seen anything official but what you are looking for is "dynamic reputation" (something for you to search for) and I do not believe this is implemented in FM10, unfortunately.

You can mess around with these manually using FMRTE.

Thanks, well those you listed are put on "national" in the demo too. The following carry a continental rep (or worldwide) at the start of the demo:

EPL: Chelski, Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City

Bundesliga: Bayern, Bremen, Schalke

Serie A: Inter, Juventus, Milan, Fiorentina, Roma, Lazio

La Liga: Barca, Real, Sevilla, Atletico, Valencia, Villareal

Ligue 1: Lyon, Olympique, Bordeaux

Not sure what exactly is being taken into account here, but considering that Villareal, Sevilla or Bordeaux make it in there, that is a bit harsh on the likes of Ajax, HSV, maybe even Rangers. Of course the issue I described popped up in the long run, whereas two seasons down the road not a single Eredivisie or Bundesliga club had a rep of higher than "national" regardless of results - and in FM08 Ajax, PSV, Rangers, Celtic and HSV DO start out with a "continental" reputation. All the while mid-table also-rans in other leagues (including Ligue 1) would need a good season to get their reputation promoted. This appears to have been sorted then, at least as far as Bundesliga is concerned.

Archived