Just started season 2 and I am tired of the game already

Was very excited with this new version of FM. started off with full of enthusiasm but my interest has seemed to drop after the first season. Initially thought this was a 9/10 game but after 1 season I will give it a 6.5/10. Somewhat frustrated with

1.) too many long range goals

2.) too many misses in 1 on 1 situations by top class strikers. After all if they can strike goals from distance they should be able to do better at a closer range

3.) defenders who don't tackle. according to my stats my strikers and midfielders tackle more than my defencers !

4.) players who give away corners unnecessary

5.) sometimes static goalkeepers

6.) strikers like Berbatov,scoring too many goals,

7.) transfers which are overpriced.

8.) football pingpong of football head tenis where there is a series of headers from player to player. Don't know how to describe this but unrealistic.

9.) after so many FMs I have yet to figure out the difference between useful and decent player

Intially I thought the new tactics and touch line shouts was great but I found I was constantly doing the same options of work the ball into the box (which the players still love to shoot from distance), exploit the middle, play ball to feet. I don't find much difference between play ball at feet and into space and no matter what I shout I cannot get my players to seem to tackle properly.

I know a lot of these issues have already been raised before so perhaps I should wait for the next patch. Or maybe it is just me with too many years playing CM and FM !

If it wasn't for the truly shambolic nature of defending in the game, I would be enjoying it, but it's ruining it for me at the moment. Many of the other things are annoying but I can live with, but the defending is making me tear my hair out. I can't see myself playing again until the patch is released, which is a shame because I've got a successful game going on.

Erm, why does everybody complain about defending? I have no problem with it at all. RW Essen - 17 games, 15 conceded

Ulm. 32 played - 30 conceded

Otelul Galati - 34 played, 23 conceded

I don't seem to have a problem defending. Some of the supposedly bad defending are actually bad animations. For instance, a defender gets dribbled yet he stands there and doesn't chase back. This could of been due to him being nutmeg or dribbled by a crazy move not able to be shown by the crappy animations. And it happens a lot in real football too, defenders just giving up after being humiliated.

Erm, why does everybody complain about defending? I have no problem with it at all. RW Essen - 17 games, 15 conceded

Ulm. 32 played - 30 conceded

Otelul Galati - 34 played, 23 conceded

Because SI have admitted a fault with the defending that's why the complaints.

As for the opening post I'm with you all the way mate I think once the patch fixes (hopefully) the match engine the game will be fully playable and enjoyable as i love the game so much. But I do think that throwing little pointless features into the game aren't helping when what we want is a good training module added and better match engine as i feel it is getting worse (que berratting from fanboys! lol) I also think the injury aspect of thegame needs working on more. And a complete overhaul of the international management needs addressing more than adding a monotemus feature like unveiling your latest signing and be asked the same 3 dam questions all the time!

Hopefully SI will pull their head out their A***S! and make a truly ground breaking game next year that works for a change, because i just feel they are stagnating and just like PES did something came along and was better!

I have just given up,It does not matter what you do your tactic always fizzle out and nothing seems to stick,I can completely dominate the game and the opposition have 1 shot and win,I can go 1-0 up in a game and then they immediately go up the other end and score but yet neither of these seem to happen for me.

I actually think the demo is better than full release sadly

Hopefully SI will pull their head out their A***S! and make a truly ground breaking game next year that works for a change, because i just feel they are stagnating and just like PES did something came along and was better!

The funny thing is, i have been saying that since FM08 and SI didn't listen. They haven't until now, why do they would listen now?

how come I dont have a lot of this problems? My defenders tackle when they have to, long shots are usually blocked and even though I still lose once in a while, playing as Benfica going agaisnt ManU and drawing 1-1 is a very very good result. Sometimes I think im playing a different game...

how come I dont have a lot of this problems? My defenders tackle when they have to, long shots are usually blocked and even though I still lose once in a while, playing as Benfica going agaisnt ManU and drawing 1-1 is a very very good result. Sometimes I think im playing a different game...

Tactics are part of the problem. They have to be. That's the only explanation I can think of. For example I'm not dominating with lots of shots and then losing from their only shot in the match. I have lost some games to a great long shot from an opponent but they were players with a good long shot attribute. It does however annoy me that my playmaker with 17 for long shots usually blasts them over the bar.

Timmy, I note you have played this series for a long time as I have, & as such you must know that the game never reaches it's potential until at least a couple of patches have been released. I don't dispute what you are saying, though others seem to have had less problems, but I think you need to at least wait until SI release the next patch, as at least we may have a better idea where we are.

I know some will probably say this is the most stable version yet at this stage, but other will no doubt disagree, & I have learnt long ago not to play a long term game until a few months have gone by.

That was a bad result, actually...you should have beaten Man Utd!

So many cry babies, I have not had one problem with defending. I have seen great last ditch tackles by my defenders and seen defenders turned inside out.

Why are people being 'cry babies' about it exactly ??? SI have stated that defending is an issue and is being worked on for the next patch so do your homework next time before accusing people of being 'Cry babies'

Some people....

That was a bad result, actually...you should have beaten Man Utd!

I wanted the draw, realistically Benfica would never ever win at old Traford. I played so defensive and counter attack yet they manage to shoot 20 times but only 6 were on target. I shot 5 times and scored 1.

Why are people being 'cry babies' about it exactly ??? SI have stated that defending is an issue and is being worked on for the next patch so do your homework next time before accusing people of being 'Cry babies'

Some people....

The thing is that a lot of people complain about the bad defending yet there are people that have had very successful defense. I think the OP exaggerated the issue, there is definitely a tackling issue (defenders like john terry ends a derby with 4 tackles????) but it is not to the extreme point where its not playable. Also, i've said it million of times, the animation is very crappy which sometimes might mislead humans into believing the engine is broken but actually its just bad animation not being shown.

Ah, you played Man Utd away, ok in that case that was a brilliant result! Apparently, Benfica have a good team this season, IRL at least (or a good coach...), judging, inter alia, by the hammering they gave Everton for the Europa League. I'm Porto and was just held 0-0 at home by Arsenal for the CL, now all I need is an away goal at the Emirates and I'm through to the quarter finals...;)

Ah, you played Man Utd away, ok in that case that was a brilliant result! Apparently, Benfica have a good team this season, IRL at least (or a good coach...), judging, inter alia, by the hammering they gave Everton for the Europa League. I'm Porto and was just held 0-0 at home by Arsenal for the CL, now all I need is an away goal at the Emirates and I'm through to the quarter finals...;)

Yes, benfica has a very good team this season. Saviola, aimar, di maria among others. Porto in my game seems to be too strong for the rest of the Portuguese teams. They lost only twice and was against me and sporting and won the rest. Im having a hard time catching up to them since i keep drawing on away games. Is Porto skills really this distant IRL? It seems in Portugal only 3 teams can challenge the title...

The only thing that is starting to drive me mad...on a NG I was Ipswich, playing I think Sheff Utd at home. My striker (Marlon Harewood) was through one-on-one 4 times and didn't score. Their striker, who's name I cant remember, has 3 one-on-one chances and scores them all. I know that this could be credited to bad defending, which is partly was, but how come their striker can score 100% of his chances, and mine 0, when they are both around the same skill level in all the major striker stats?

The only real issue I have with the game is the amount of goals strikers score... Very unrealistic.

you are right, only the very very good striker can do 1 goal per game. Yet my 4million striker scored 25 goals in 24 games... SI needs to tone it down just a little bit. Defense needs just a little tweak here and there, nothing major. Im enjoying the game by the way. Has anyone managed to win the champions league without being a top team? post a screenshoot for proof!

<...)the animation is very crappy which sometimes might mislead humans into believing the engine is broken but actually its just bad animation not being shown.
I don't think the animation is bad, well at least it's much, much better than last year's. But I believe what matters is the ball's movement, they build the animation around it, so to speak (call it bubblegum for your eyes, if you like), because if you watch it in 2D, you will get exactly the same ball movement...

My keeper has just scored.....from a goal kick. The ball flew the length of the pitch straight over the head of the opposing keeper who didn't move...how realistic. :)
As odd as it may seem, it has happened IRL.

*edit* Anyway, congratulations, this is the first time I hear it happen on FM. Do you have a screen shot to show us?

I think part of the problem is not in the game engine, but in the database.

If you check the database for people with a PA of over 180, you'll find that there are 49 strictly offensive players (AM's, strikers), but only 28 defensive players (GK's, D's and DM's). 12 of these 28 are goalkeepers, that do not really play an important role in field play as such. If you lower the PA to 170 you'll see that there are 97 defensive players (of which 30 goalkeepers) and 161 offensive players.

You may have the opinion that CA is more important that PA...so here are the CA numbers:

CA of over 180: 9 offensive, 4 defensive ( of which 3 goalkeepers)

CA of over 165: 43 offensive, 27 defensive (of which 10 goalkeepers)

The point I am trying to make is, if the attackers in the game are much better than the defenders, it's not strange that there will be a lot of defensive blunders and mistakes.

Buying good defenders does not seem to make much of a difference. they all defend in the same way. With good defenders the balls shots just seem to be better attracted to the gloves of the keeper like a magnet ! When can we expect the next patch?

The thing is that a lot of people complain about the bad defending yet there are people that have had very successful defense. I think the OP exaggerated the issue, there is definitely a tackling issue (defenders like john terry ends a derby with 4 tackles????) but it is not to the extreme point where its not playable. Also, i've said it million of times, the animation is very crappy which sometimes might mislead humans into believing the engine is broken but actually its just bad animation not being shown.

Well said.

Buying good defenders does not seem to make much of a difference. they all defend in the same way. With good defenders the balls shots just seem to be better attracted to the gloves of the keeper like a magnet ! When can we expect the next patch?

Yes it does. Get real. Like the patch is going to help you. LoL.

I think part of the problem is not in the game engine, but in the database.

If you check the database for people with a PA of over 180, you'll find that there are 49 strictly offensive players (AM's, strikers), but only 28 defensive players (GK's, D's and DM's). 12 of these 28 are goalkeepers, that do not really play an important role in field play as such. If you lower the PA to 170 you'll see that there are 97 defensive players (of which 30 goalkeepers) and 161 offensive players.

You may have the opinion that CA is more important that PA...so here are the CA numbers:

CA of over 180: 9 offensive, 4 defensive ( of which 3 goalkeepers)

CA of over 165: 43 offensive, 27 defensive (of which 10 goalkeepers)

The point I am trying to make is, if the attackers in the game are much better than the defenders, it's not strange that there will be a lot of defensive blunders and mistakes.

As a former researcher, can't deny this tbh. It is lopsided.

I sometimes play a back 4 who are all under 21 against the lower half of the premier league and still don't have problems defending!

Exactly . . .

This a major difference from needing improvement and broken. The ME is an ongoing project and can be improved in all areas.

Defending isn't broken. There are a huge number of AI sides conceding less than a goal a game. They use the creator. If you are conceding bucketfuls, it is something you are doing, not a broken ME. If it were the latter, it would be happening across the board.

Says it best . . .

The thing is though, I've conceded 15 goals in 18 games so I'm hardly leaking goals and it's not that that's annoying me. It's just the general uselessness of defenders doing the job they are supposed to. Full Backs running parrallel to the winger but never getting in close enough to them to make a tackle, allowing the winger to have an easy cross. A lack of tackling. Too many stupid mistakes. There's plenty of things that, however good a defensive record you have, can make things very frustrating.

Some people....

To be fair, when people post constructive feedback but then go ruin it with an unnecessary dig (i.e. I'm waiting or the patch, but I cant see it fixing anything) I don't blame some people venting their frustrations back.

It seems some people can't seem to hold back from making it personal - on both sides. But I'm unlikely to read all replies in a thread if I came across folk who seem hell bent negative.

No problem at all with the defending. Played two full seasons so far, one with Sampdoria and another one with Sunderland. I could keep lots of clean sheets with right tactics in the both the saves. Seems like people just don't want to work hard and devote some time to tweaking tactics.

It sucks when i have to admit that i enjoyed more playing FM 09 than this one, i'm not saying the game is bad because it isn't, actually i have the game opened right now .. the problem is that i've seen the word "polished" so many times that i thought we were actually going to find a reasonable ME, which to me at least its not the case.

PS: i hate those damn through balls..

The blatantly obvious defending issue is best illustrated by the sheer amount of goals Strikers score, if you see this as a non issue then your football knowledge has to be questioned.

In my latest save Crouch has 21 goals in 15(+1sub) games, now seriously how realistic is that? :rolleyes:

Archived