Curious about these games, but first I have to admit...

..that I've never been interested in football. I know that probably seems ridiculous, but I remember playing a managing game briefly years ago and understand that there is a level of addiction in it that transcends the sport. The thing is it's 2009, so I expect the latest games to be much more complicated and to maybe have dropped all intention of catering to people who don't know the sport inside out. Is it possible that by reading the manual and whatever online resources there are I could learn how football works and get into the game? Or do I need to spend the next few years following Exeter City to have a clue? :p

This is intended as a laptop thing so I plan to get one of the 2D games like 05-08, so any advice on which of those are best would be good too.

For the record I don't dislike the sport, I just never bothered to follow it. I watch motorsport instead. I'd probably get sucked in if I got familiar with the whos and whats.

I was the exact same way when I picked 08. Here in the states footy isn't even on the radar of most people yet. I picked up 08 for a few bucks but knew nothing about the sport. I just started watching matches, lots of matches and this built my love of the sport. As for FM pick a copy up a give it a whirl. Even if you don't have any success it really is a great way to build your knowledge of the game. Especially players, I remember spending hours just looking at players and team histories. Your right though, you will get hooked.

Honestly, the thing that bring me back to FM time and time again and makes it my favorite game is my passion and familiarity to football. I always found football an exceptional game and a very interesting one with many many aspects to it. Without that passion for the sport I don't know HOW into it you can get but I suggest you try. I think it depends on the situation and person.

I got into it without being a huge soccer fan here in the States because I saw my roommate playing it and it looked interesting. So one day when I felt kinda sick and didn't go to class, he showed me the basics, and that, along with watching a bunch of soccer, has not only made me better at the game, but I've enjoyed the sport more, because I understand more of what's going on.

I'm not much of a football fan myself but I've played and enjoyed past versions of the game. The game is getting less fun for me the more the realistic the developers try to make it so I can certainly understand your concerns. I'd definitely recommend you try the demo and see how you get on though.

I'm not much of a football fan myself but I've played and enjoyed past versions of the game. The game is getting less fun for me the more the realistic the developers try to make it so I can certainly understand your concerns. I'd definitely recommend you try the demo and see how you get on though.

I actually prefer a very realistic simulation of football management. If it wasnt realistic, then it would be another fifa manager type of game where the animation is beautiful yet poor database

Archived