[FM10] The Managerial Exploits of a Hawthorne

Tweedster

I’ve been getting bored of managing teams at the highest tier, so I’ve decided to go all the way down - to the very bottom. I installed Super Bladesman’s Level 10 update, so that’s where I will be managing. I’ve loaded leagues from: England (Level 10 and above), France (National and above), Germany (Second Division and above), Italy (Serie C2 and above), and last but not least, Spain (Second Division B and above). I’m also play on the 10.1.0 patch, no edits to the database except for the installation of Level 10, with real players, and attribute masking turned on. My objective for the game is to get to the top, whether it is with my original starting club or not. So this will be a long term game, and I’ll be doing monthly (in-game of course) updates on how I’ve been getting on. The club I will be starting at is North Shields, which I have picked randomly.

North Shields F.C.

Full Name: North Shields Football Club

Nickname: The Robins

Current League: Northern League Division 2

Chairman: Alan Matthews

Stadium: Ralph Gardner Park

North Shields F.C. was formed in 1896 as North Shields Athletic, and started playing in the South Shields District League. They won their first league just one year after being formed, in the 1897-98 season. In 1908, the Robins joined the North Eastern League, where they continued playing after the First World War. In 1918, they changed their name to Preston Colliery, and again to North Shields ten years later.

After the Second World War, the club continued to increase their success in amateur football, winning the FA Amateur Cup in 1969 and becoming joint winners of the European Amateur Cup. In 1995, their name was changed back to North Shields Athletic, and in 1999 back again to North Shields. Financial problems caused them to stumble for a while, despite winning the Northern Counties East League and gaining promotion to the Northern Premier League. They were forced to reform and play in the VAUX Wearside League.

Since then, they have enjoyed considerable success, winning the treble of the League, Shipowners Cup and Northumberland Senior Bowl in 1998/1999. In 2000/01 they finished runners-up to Nissan in the League but won the Monkwearmouth Cup and the Senior Bowl for the second time. In 2004, the Robins finally gained promotion back to Albany Northern League in 2004 after a 15 year absence.

North Shields played at Appleby Park until 1992, when they were forced to sell the land due to overwhelming debts. After this, they played at various grounds until they had an agreement with the North Tyneside Council and built a new ground known as Ralph Gardner Park.

Current Squad

GK: Michael Woods

GK: Ricky Trott

DF: Halit Kaya

DF: Chris Haworth

DF: Ritchie Almond

DF: Tom Connor

DF: Mark Levy

DF: Sam Otto

DF: David Thurgood

DF: Sam Pickett

DF: Will Williams

MF: Richard Foulkes

MF: Phil Kissock

MF: Ross Gill

MF: Matthew Cooper

MF: Andy Lines

MF: Jimmy Gordon

MF: Arron Elphic

FC: Mark Daws

FC: Alan Murray

FC: Chris Mitchell

Manager Profile

AUGUST, 2009

Friendlies

North Shields 2-0 GH Academy

League

North Shields 2-0 Whitehaven

North Shields 1-0 Marske Utd

We had a marvelous victory in our one and only preseason game against the Glenn Hoddle Academy, who were expected to beat us pretty easily by four or five goals. However, a brace from Ross Gill defied the odds, and we walked away with our heads held high, signaling a good start to our season.

Our aim for the 2009/2010 was to finish in the top half of the league, which we would build on for the next season. Our first league game was against predicted third placers Whitehaven. It was a very impressive win, with Gill scoring again and Almond scoring from the spot to round it off. The only negative from the match was that we had another chance to score from a penalty, which the opposition goalkeeper saved. However, this did not take away the fact that we dominated against a team that was supposed to rout us by a fair few goals.

A game against ‘the Seasiders’ was next, and we dispatched them easily in a one sided match. The only thing that let us down was our finishing, which was poor throughout the match, and we had to rely on a David Almond spot kick to win the match. We could have gotten a second, had it not been for a poor refereeing decision. Marske’s defender Drummond was also sent off for two yellow cards in the 90th minute.

The win rounded of a great month for us, which hopefully we can build on for a tough September month coming up, with away games against Stokesley, Washington and a FA Vase Cup match that is yet to be decided.

September Matches

Stokesley vs. North Shields

Washington vs. North Shields

Darlington RA vs. North Shields

League Table

SEPTEMBER, 2009

League

Stokesley 1-2 North Shields

North Shields 2-1 Seaham

FA Vase

North Shields 1-0 Rossington Main

Brooks Mileson Cup

Guisborough 0-2 North Shields

September began on a good note, with slightly fortituous win against Stokesley. Our 12th minute penalty was cancelled out by Danny Cameron’s second half goal. The game seemed to be ending as a draw, but an own goal from Stokesley’s Paul Browne gave us a 2-1 win. A draw would have probably been the most fair result, but it was their loss.

The next game signaled the start of our FA Vase campaign, with a home match against Rossington Main. We dominated, with 15 shots to their 4. However, our poor finishing let us down, with only Ross Gill hitting the net on the 31st minute. The Colliery’s were reduced to ten men during the last minute of the match when Daniel Emery was sent off for persistent fouling.

Our next cup game was for the Brooks Mileson Cup, where we were drawn against Guisborough Town. Yet again, we won the match with penalties, one on the 39th minute mark, and one just before full time - I honestly have no idea why I’m getting so many penalties. Ritchie Almond duly put away the two to give us a comfortable 2-0 win.

The final match of the season, a 2-1 win against Seaham, was without any penalty controversy, thankfully. Matthew Cooper gave us the lead in the 22nd minute with a powerful shot from the edge of the box, marking his first ever goal for the club. Striker Alan Murray doubled our lead just before half time, slotting the ball past the goalkeeper calmly. Peter Neilson grabbed the consolation goal for the visitors with a small lob over Michael Woods.

October Matches

Wallingford vs. North Shields

North Shields vs. Bedlington

North Shields vs. Jarrow

North Shields vs. Thornaby

North Shields vs. Sunderland Ryhope CA

Washington vs. North Shields

Crook vs. North Shields

Gillford Park vs. North Shields

League Table

Archived