Disliked player

I'm currently 2015, playing FM09, although I think my query will equally equate to FM10.

I have a player, (players concerned are regens so I'll name them), Haydar, who dislikes Morris. Both are players I've bought at 16/17 so they love me, they are both top players for Reading (Europe last year, pushing this year, meaning they are both top young players), Haydar is 18 and a wonderkid ST, Morris is 22 and a top DC. I've signed both and helped them achieve international caps for Germany and England respectively. Both are key players, especially considering my long term plans.

Haydar now dislikes Morris. Bummer. I want to keep both. My problem is that a decent MC last year disliked Morris too and I sold him, I don't want to sell Haydar. However, where it gets interesting, Morris is ambitious and for the last 2 years has wanted to leave at the start of the season when interest has come from the larger clubs. I've placated him by offering a new contract and reminding him that Reading's ambition matches his. Haydar reckons that he disliked Morris because he caused squad disharmony. Squad harmony is very important for me.

The question is: I don't want to sell either, at a push I would prefer to sell Morris, should I sell him or is there a way that Haydar will get over his dislike of Morris?

Sorry for the long-winded post but this really bugs me. I'd love to say to Haydar, "get over it, you're a ST, he's a DC, you don't have to love each other, just get on, and get over it", however, FM doesn't give me this option so how can I solve this in-game? I stress that my limited squad survives by having good squad harmony so I'm keen to resolve this.

Any ideas?

ps I've tried offering a new contract, I'm worried that because Morris (the DC) has complained publicly he wants to leave for the last 2 seasons (due to ambition) that he is, actually, the problem.

Damn it. I was afraid he was the problem. Thing is, i figure he's got high ambition because he says that the club can't match his ambition (I've had to assure him it does through the media, but honestly, how much ambition do Reading have? We hit Europe after 2 years in Prem due to me so rep can't be that high can it?). Both players (and previous player who disliked him) I figure are professional as ass man says they are determined (or professional).

I guess what I'm really asking is: will these players resolve their differences? Or, even if I placate Haydar with a new (massive) contract or through PR, is Morris likely to cause further problems because, even though the engine says otherwise, Morris actually wants to join a 'big' club and achieve instant success due to his high ambition?

Have your ambitious DC tutered if possible with by someone with a professional or at least fairly professional personality, hopefully this will temper your DC's ambitious nature and stop him from wanting to leave as soon as a bigger club comes sniffing around, which in turn should in theory resolve your squad harmony problem.

I thought that might be a potential problem mind you, have you tried renewing his contract with a lower squad status...this doesn't always work but I have managed it for some young players who would only transfer to my club if offered a status of first team or higher but then are happy to accept hot prospect once they've signed for me.

Yeah, I''ll try setting him to 1st team rather than key player, however, he's a top Prem player already and I'm astonished he's not an England regular, (much better than an aging Terry or Ferdinand, or even Lescott in my game!). However, its the ST who is actually bothered by this situation, and I don't know yet whether it'll actually bother him for long (he's an 18 year old regen), although I guess the DC is the actual problem as its been brought up before and I couldn't find another post about this, most people just assume that you sell the player who has the problem when I figure, as do you Slipknot, that the problem is the recipient of the problem, if that makes sense!

I could see from your o.p straight away that it was the ambitious nature of your DC that was causing you problems, unfortunately if you are going to be able to settle him down with tutering I think he'd need to have a squad status of no higher than backup to the first team.

As this seems very unlikely to be acceptable to him, the only other option to resolve this other than selling him outright might be to seek to give him a long term loan away from your club, then while he's away do everything you can to bring a few high profile signings in to raise the overall profile of your club and continue to bring as much success to the club as you can. Then hopefully by the time he returns from his loan spell his professionalism will have increased a little naturally and the increased stature of the club along with higher calibre players around him might solve your problem.

Archived