Can't sell Heskey or Carew for 0

Maybe no-one wants them because their wages/wage demands are high.

Well thats a logical flaw no club should be forced to keep a player they no longer have use for.

There should be an option to instruct a player's agent to look for a new club for said player

Well thats a logical flaw no club should be forced to keep a player they no longer have use for.

Thus why clubs often look to loan out players while a suitable club is found, as doing so is often not an instantaneous process.

Look at someone like Winston Bogarde at Chelsea, for example. The club wanted him to leave, but the player was happy to stay on his high wages and so showed little interest in agreeing terms with other clubs. Other clubs couldn't match the wages offered by Chelsea, and the club couldn't terminate such a lucrative deal.

i have found that the only way to sell unwanted players (other than cheating) is to actually play them sometimes. what i mean is, in jan, have a look at your squad. decide who you dont want and play them when you can i.e in the less important games. that way other clubs will see that they can do "some" stuff, and when you offer them out, the other clubs have some match ratings to investegate. if you leave them roting in your reserves then other clubs will just say "well if there no good for you, what can they do for me" and there answer will almost always be "NOTHING"

Thus why clubs often look to loan out players while a suitable club is found, as doing so is often not an instantaneous process.

Look at someone like Winston Bogarde at Chelsea, for example. The club wanted him to leave, but the player was happy to stay on his high wages and so showed little interest in agreeing terms with other clubs. Other clubs couldn't match the wages offered by Chelsea, and the club couldn't terminate such a lucrative deal.

Good point :thup:

You could factor in a player's Ambition, Professionalism skill rating as an indicator as to wether he would play elsewhere for less money. Just an idea.

There should be an option to instruct a player's agent to look for a new club for said player

This. It happens in real life, so why not in FM? IRL, managers often ask players' agents to find them new clubs when they become surplus to requirements, and I think this would make a nice feature.

Bogarde is a very extreme example. A very average / poor player on ludicrous wages: £60k p/w ffs! Never made it in the premiership as well.

Esthablished top league (and international players) a la heskey & carew should at least get aome offers.

This is what I was going to say - he was a one-off and the only one that ever springs to mind when a subject like this is raise in regards to FM. Getting rid of players has always been God-awful on FM, much to my annoyance. Yes, SI are trying to be realistic by factoring in player personalities and opposition teams' needs etc etc, but FM is a game that should be fun, and the difficulty in selling players does, to a certain degree, spoil the fun and just adds a huge element of frustration.

When the transfer window rolls around IRL, the Premiership (and many other leagues) is (are) a money-mad transfer merry-go-round but in FM it's always been a quiet, non-event. Watching the real game, I sometimes wonder how certain players manage to find a club that are willing to pay them tuppence, let alone their extortionate wages, but someone will always want to sign them.

At what point in the game are you? I managed to easily offload Heskey at the beginning of the game for 3.8m (0.3m more than he is worth), and Carew for 6m in January 2011.

How? Did you list him, wait for interest, then offer?

If so how long did you wait etc?

Maybe no-one wants them because their wages/wage demands are high.

I think there are a few people becoming frustrated with responses like this. It is not something defendable IMO, so don't try to defend it. The game has a few flaws it's no big deal to admit it.

If I sent a fax out tomorrow offering Heskey for 1 pound to every club in Europe I think i'd have over 100 responses.

I'm not defending anything; I'm pointing out one of the contributory factors that may or may not be an issue in why no offers are coming in.

Another factor that could play a significant part in how much interest there is is when the deal is. In the first season it appears hard to sell players, but I think a significant factor in this is that a great deal of clubs who had money to spend this summer did so, leaving them with greatly reduced budgets in the game, as their new signings are already there. Come summer 2010, it seems much easier to sell players as clubs have more to spend, more players coming and going, and maybe a greater need to buy and sell. In the case of players being offered for free, it could too be the case that teams are, due to pre-existing summer spending, unwilling to add to their wage bill. The clubs that have money to spend are generally the big clubs, who aren't going to want the likes of Heskey in this example.

Having said that, I do believe that it can be frustrating and at times too hard to offload players, but too I find myself thinking "if I think he is crap, why would someone else who can afford to take him on not think so?". I would perhaps like to see it made just a little bit easier.

And yes, Bogarde was an extreme and cliched example. ;)

Have to diagree with you there Hershie. I strongly suspect that in this instance, Carew and Heskey would 'have no intention of going out on loan' (FM quote).

It is somewhat impossible to loan out players of that rep.

Have to diagree with you there Hershie. I strongly suspect that in this instance, Carew and Heskey would 'have no intention of going out on loan' (FM quote).

It is somewhat impossible to loan out players of that rep.

They wouldn't want to leave on loan immediately if they believed they could force their way back into the team. If they weren't playing for a whole season for example, they'd be much more willing to leave.

One of the most important things to do when trying to sell a player is to make sure to put his status as no longer needed. It means he is more willing to go to other clubs for less money because he pretty much knows he has no future at your club.

Jermaine Pennant was a player who wouldn't leave Liverpool until his contract was up, lots of players do it, we just don't hear about it too much.

Had this with Adam Drury at Norwich, every week for a year offered him out for £0, no-one wanted him (unrealistic as irl many league 1/2 clubs would offer him a contract if no fee was involved), then finally Notts Co. respond with an offer of £40K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived