Player match ratings a bit over-sensitive?

I think the effect of scoring a goal, creating a goal, conceding a penalty or missing an interception that leads to a goal have too great an effect on the ratings.

Example A: Striker has a nightmare of a game, hardly involved...ball bouncing off his shins, passes out of play etc. His rating is 6.1. Motivation box says 'Playing nervously'.

90th minute, a ball falls to him in the 6-yard box and he taps home. Rating shoots up to 7, and now the motivation box says 'Having a good game'. In reality, he's still had a bad game, a goal from a tap-in doesn't change that.

Example B: Winger whips in a series of dangerous crosses and either the striker misses a few headers or the defender clears brilliantly. His rating is 6.8. Finally the striker manages to convert one and again the rating shoots up to 7.4. It shouldn't matter whether or not the striker converts the chance, his rating should be based on how many he created.

Example C: Defender hasn't put a foot wrong all game, his team are 3-0 up and cruising. A dubious penalty is then awarded against him for shirt-pulling. Rating plummets to 4.9. Sure, he cost his side a goal but now his average rating and morale are shot because of one mistake that didn't even matter.

Example D: Defender loses his man at a set-piece, but the game seems to ignore these! Far more unforgiveable than conceding a dodgy pen or missing an interception yet the player doesn't take a hit to his rating for it.

I basically don't trust the ratings - I'm not going to drop a player for getting 4.7 from conceding a penalty, and I'm not going to pick the rubbish striker who scores a tap-in, but if we lose the next game the fans will be on my back for both decisions!

The ratings need to award general solid play more and reduce the effect of goals for and against.

I'd say, as a rule, they're pretty spot on. Yeah there are grey areas, like the dubious penalty decision. BUt that would certainly knock his confidence and his play would suffer as a result. I do see what your saying, but I don't feel ana overhaul of the system is needed, just maybe a few tweaks. To be fair, it's only more noticeable since the introduction of the decimal places to the player ratings.

I agree to some extent, I mean, Gignac was having a stinker for me against Hull so I decided to put Cristaldo on to give him a run and low and behold after I'd made the change but before it was implemented into the Match Gignac scores a rebound from Carews shot and his rating shoots up from a 5.4 to 7.3 and his motivation changed from having a poor game to having a good game? That doesn't reflect the true extent of the 65mins he was actually on the pitch and couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo and half his passes were either going straight to the opposition or out for throw ins.

I do feel in some instances the match ratings are a little over sensitive to certain incidents but not for others. I was winning one game and assuncao was having a stormer, but he picked up a straight red for a stupid two footed tackle. I ultimately went on to lose the match as I had to re-jig my formation to accommodate his moment of madness, and couldn't get back into it when the opposition took the lead. His match rating stayed at around 7.5 and it came up he'd had a good game, when in actual fact, it was probably his sending off that cost me the game?

I'd say, as a rule, they're pretty spot on. Yeah there are grey areas, like the dubious penalty decision. BUt that would certainly knock his confidence and his play would suffer as a result. I do see what your saying, but I don't feel ana overhaul of the system is needed, just maybe a few tweaks. To be fair, it's only more noticeable since the introduction of the decimal places to the player ratings.

So a striker who's had a poor game but scores a tap-in should get a 7?

Whereas his strike partner who's run his marker ragged and only been denied by 3 or 4 world-class saves gets a 6.9? And then the commentary rubs it in by saying "X will feel he could have done more" !

I do agree with Freedman as well. However looking more closely at the examples, I can kind of understand why the events are effecting the ratings in the way they do, even if they shouldnt be effected to such a large degree.

So a striker who's had a poor game but scores a tap-in should get a 7?

Whereas his strike partner who's run his marker ragged and only been denied by 3 or 4 world-class saves gets a 6.9? And then the commentary rubs it in by saying "X will feel he could have done more" !

I'm not disagreeing with you, and that cretainly would be one of the thiongs I'd tweak as it doesn't seperate between tap-ins and 40 yard wonder goals, all give the same boost. All I was saying is I'd maybe seperate goals out on quality (which can obviously be done due to goal of the month/season) rather than just reducing the effects of goals in general.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and that cretainly would be one of the thiongs I'd tweak as it doesn't seperate between tap-ins and 40 yard wonder goals, all give the same boost. All I was saying is I'd maybe seperate goals out on quality (which can obviously be done due to goal of the month/season) rather than just reducing the effects of goals in general.

Yes I agree there....if a player beats four and then chips the keeper, by all means boost his rating by 1 point. But a tap-in should give only a small boost to rating but a bigger boost to confidence/morale.

I think the penalty thing is the most annoying. My defender is having a good season, and considering he's on £25 a week I'm delighted with him. He concedes a last minute penalty and gets a rating of 4.7, his morale is now poor. I try and build him up in the press and he says he's bemused by my praise and it drops to very poor! Now it will take 3 or 4 wins before his morale is up again, until then he'll be playing backpasses out for corners and mis-placing 5 yard passes.

And I'd love to be able to tear into players for falling asleep at corners (there's no excuse for it at any level!!), but as their rating isn't affected by it I can't!

I think the penalty thing is the most annoying. My defender is having a good season, and considering he's on £25 a week I'm delighted with him. He concedes a last minute penalty and gets a rating of 4.7, his morale is now poor. I try and build him up in the press and he says he's bemused by my praise and it drops to very poor! Now it will take 3 or 4 wins before his morale is up again, until then he'll be playing backpasses out for corners and mis-placing 5 yard passes.

I do understand that yes, I wonder how much of the drop in morale is due to a poor match rating and how much is due to the fact he made a mistake (assuming of course the penalty decision was correct - if not the game should take this into account). Conceding a penalty will affect most players morale - I know I'd take a blow to my confidence.

Personally what I'd like to see is a little more indipendence between match rating and morale, as 1 bad match rating can often completely undo the morale of someone who's on the back of 7 or 8 matches.

Archived