Could I die?

Apologies straight away as i'm sure this has already been posted but can't find it.

Can you die? I don't mean you get a message saying that you've got some sort of disease or something but if you play enough seasons your age will obviously rise and eventually you'll have to die? Luckily i'm in 2021 and started the save as young as possible (29?). If you started aged 65 or something does it mean your game stops earlier than a 29 year old?

Apologies straight away as i'm sure this has already been posted but can't find it.

Can you die? I don't mean you get a message saying that you've got some sort of disease or something but if you play enough seasons your age will obviously rise and eventually you'll have to die? Luckily i'm in 2021 and started the save as young as possible (29?). If you started aged 65 or something does it mean your game stops earlier than a 29 year old?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SuperSi:

I've always wondered this, lol

What happens when you get to being about 120? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't die even if you were a million years old.

Personally, I would hate to have a message on my inbox saying "you've just died"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SuperSi:

Personally, I would hate to have a message on my inbox saying "you've just died" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno. It would be in keeping with the 'deep' experience offered by FM2008.

'You just died. Thanks, see you in 2009!'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I dunno. It would be in keeping with the 'deep' experience offered by FM2008.

'You just died. Thanks, see you in 2009!' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is funny....good sense of the absurd...lol

It's not the same as dying but when I was about 12 I had Championship manager 93 and played for years and years, can't remember how many seasons and I was thinking - how long will this last. Then I got a message saying you have been offered the England job (this was before International management)

I clicked to accept it and that was it, you couldn't continue anymore.

It is the only time I have ever properley 'compleated' a cm/fm game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

Personally, I would hate to have a message on my inbox saying "you've just died" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically, you wouldn't be able to read said message, being dead and all... icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radon:

Technically, you wouldn't be able to read said message, being dead and all... icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was basicly the point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What would be the point of including the option to die anyway?

Its completely pointless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always thought that dying was completely pointless. Never seen the sense of it.

However in FM it might add a frisson of excitement if the option was "die randomly", then you would never know... icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazza:

I always thought that dying was completely pointless. Never seen the sense of it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe he wants to spend a year dead for tax purposes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom =):

They could make an option when making your profile saying 'Do you want to die', might sound stupid, but it would make it more realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention making it a massive cult hit with Goths. Could you imagine the excitement?

Actually an interesting point as it seems a few players/youth players have died recently and of course that Columbian defender got killed after the world cup... I guess it would be bad taste to include this sort of random event.

How would you read that?

Surely the game would just shut down.

I asked this about '07.

Does anybody have a picture of their really old manager profile to upload? Where they are 100-odd years old?

We should have a new record;

"Oldest you've become on FM"

(I might do just that - if nobody notices, or bothers here)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Flag:

It's not the same as dying but when I was about 12 I had Championship manager 93 and played for years and years, can't remember how many seasons and I was thinking - how long will this last. Then I got a message saying you have been offered the England job (this was before International management)

I clicked to accept it and that was it, you couldn't continue anymore.

It is the only time I have ever properley 'compleated' a cm/fm game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? It lastet 50 years at most at that point - in the unlikely event your save game disk didn't get corrupted before that. Think most I ever did was about 40 because of that....the disk died alright.

I wonder if it's the same as in dreams where they say that if you die in a dream, you die in real life. If you die in FM, you die in real life. It could be a teen slasher film. I might pitch it to 20th Century fox. You could get stiffler from American Pie to play the FM player, although realistically it should be Daniel Radcliffe or Hurly off-of Lost.

Love the idea of being re-genned back into the game as a young manager again. I'm still plugging away and in 2022 - I'd imagine that my game will mess up far before i'm old and grey but if players retire by 40 odd then I think I'll gracefully go at manager retirement ade too (not that there's a set age)

Maybe if you did become old there could be a news story that at the end of your current contract you are set to retire and you could have a few options to choose from? Or other manager slating you saying your 'past it' etc.

This reminds me of the old days, not sure if it was CM though. I remember playing an old manager game and your players would randomly die. You'd sign a new star striker and a few months later he'd be struck by lightning or something and be dead. On some saves I'm pretty sure I averaged a least 1 dead player every season, you'd just have to hope it wasn't a good player. icon_biggrin.gif

Those were the days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could I die? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have three answers - take your pick:

1. [Deep answer] To those of you who categorically say no, answer this - c an you PROVE it ? Aha! icon_cool.gif philosopher

2. [sick answer] Since when has dying been an obstacle to being a football manager - look at Sir Robby Bobson icon_razz.gif

3. [Tecco answer] You die when your savegame gets so bugged that it 'gives up the ghost'.

I thank you icon_smile.gif

Archived