Why aren't South Africa in Group A?

The holders always goes into Group A as they will be one of the 2 teams 2 open the competition with the first game. Was the same in 2002 when France opened (against Senegal IIRC) and in 2006 was opened by Brazil who'd won in Japan/South Korea. In 1998, Brazil (winners in '94) opened against Scotland, that I remember clearly.

My memory is in the wrong order it would appear.

The holders always goes into Group A as they will be one of the 2 teams 2 open the competition with the first game. Was the same in 2002 when France opened (against Senegal IIRC) and in 2006 was opened by Brazil who'd won in Japan/South Korea. In 1998, Brazil (winners in '94) opened against Scotland, that I remember clearly.

My memory is in the wrong order it would appear.

Starting at the 2006 WC the tradition was altered so that the host would play in the opening game, and not the holders. So 2006 WC was opened with the Germany 4-2 Costa Rica game.

So the 2010 World Cup should be opened with a game featuring South Africa and the 2014 WC should be opened with a Brazil game etc. If it isn't, it must be a bug.

Fifa changed the rules when the winners didn't automatically qualify for the next tournament, which like has been said was 2006 (Brazil as 2002 winners had to qualify for the 06 tournament), they changed it in case the winners didn't qualify, also having the host nation as the opening game generates more early interest from locals (unless of course they get tonked)

It doesn't sound like a bug then, SI obviously do not know the rules, has anyone noticed if the winners on their game then have to qualify for the next world cup?

In my game Brazil won the 2014 World Cup then had to qualify for the 2018 tournament.

It does appear that the previous winners are going into group A rather than the hosts though.

Archived