Losing to teams of lower reputation

Playing as Arsenal, first season. Actually doing ok, early Feb and 2nd place in the Prem, 2 points behind Man U.

What I can't work out is why my team always performs poorly against the lower teams, both in the league and the cups. I got beaten by Cardiff in the 3rd round of the League Cup 3-1 (Chopra of all people ripped my defense apart) and lost 2-1 to Barnsley in the FA Cup 4th round. In the Prem my only losses have been 1-0 to Wigan, 1-0 to Bolton, 3-2 to Stoke (and 3-1 to Man City). However, we never really win by a big margin, even though I have beaten the likes of Man U 4-1 and Liverpool 4-2.

Is this a motivation thing, or tactics? do I need to say certain things in the pre-match conference? Any hel appreciated!:thup:

Well with my Man City team they all ways had a problem motivating themselves for the smaller teams, although we never lost we always 1-0 or 2-1 but i never really found a solution other then when i play a few kids in the side i seemed to perform a bit better against the lesser teams. I also now play a lot more attacking in cups that i do in the premiership and that seems to work, i dont attend press conferences so i wouldnt know what to say.

I manage Ajax so am in a league where alot of the teams are inferior. I can't say it works in the same way as England but I think you have to go out with the mind set that you have supperior footballers so they need time to accert their authority. It helps me from a tactical pospective to play short passing with a slow tempo, but to have high closing down in the middle of midfield. Basically you team should be able to kill smaller sides through possesion.

It also helps to wake players out of complacancy by telling key player before the game(normally players with good determination) that you expect a performance.

I manage Ajax so am in a league where alot of the teams are inferior. I can't say it works in the same way as England but I think you have to go out with the mind set that you have supperior footballers so they need time to accert their authority. It helps me from a tactical pospective to play short passing with a slow tempo, but to have high closing down in the middle of midfield. Basically you team should be able to kill smaller sides through possesion.

It also helps to wake players out of complacancy by telling key player before the game(normally players with good determination) that you expect a performance.

ok, will try that in future - lower the tempo and try and starve them of possession. cheers for the feedback. anyone else have this issue?

I do every now and then. Bamsola is right, possession is key. I ask more of my players to hold onto the ball in these sorts of games and also push my wingers wide with hug touchline to stretch the play. Also I take through balls off for most off my team as lower rep opp normally sit quite deep sometimes so any through balls will more than likely be gobbled up by the keeper or run out of play. Giving a few more players than normal "roaming" as well might help so they pop up in different areas of the pitch to receive possession and help build the play.

Archived