Post you clean sheets

Hi all,

After seeing lots of rants like - "I can't keep a clean sheet", "I can't defend a lead to save my life", "AI cheats", "No defending in this game", "No tackles in this game", "FM sucks", blah blah... I think it's time now that those of you who are enjoying the game and have no problem with it, post your clean sheet scores here. The format can be:

Your team vs Opposition team

Scoreline

League

Your formation vs Opposition formation

Comments (For e.g. how were you able to keep the clean sheet, what tactics made it possible or any other factors that made it possible etc...)

Hi all,

After seeing lots of rants like - "I can't keep a clean sheet", "I can't defend a lead to save my life", "AI cheats", "No defending in this game", "No tackles in this game", "FM sucks", blah blah... I think it's time now that those of you who are enjoying the game and have no problem with it, post your clean sheet scores here. The format can be:

Your team vs Opposition team

Scoreline

League

Your formation vs Opposition formation

Comments (For e.g. how were you able to keep the clean sheet, what tactics made it possible or any other factors that made it possible etc...)

Nice idea! I want to learn from them!!

No offence but you have got to be one of the biggest FM fanbois I have ever seen.

Most of your posts are antagonistic in nature and confrontational to say the least.

The game does have obvious flaws like lack of tackling, too many long shots and poor closing down, yet you defend it saying there is no problem, even though Paul C has confirmed it is an issue.

Can't be arsed to post all but in 3 seasons my keeper had 35 clean sheets in 80 appearances. :)

I'm Palermo btw.

Edit: I have no problems whatsoever with this game too, sure there are some flaws but it's hardly unplayable as some people claim. :)

No offence but you have got to be one of the biggest FM fanbois I have ever seen.

Most of your posts are antagonistic in nature and confrontational to say the least.

The game does have obvious flaws like lack of tackling, too many long shots and poor closing down, yet you defend it saying there is no problem, even though Paul C has confirmed it is an issue.

Hahahahahaha see the following posts for PROOF:

Post no. #4 from djibril'sbird.

Post no. #5 from Valonz.

and stop crying now ffs.

I started a go with England just yesterday, and tried a defensive game against Croatia, to see how much i could nullify them using a pretty straightforward approach.

England vs. Croatia

3-0

World Cup Qualifier

4-5-1 (flat) vs. 4-4-2 (flat)

Philosophy: Very Rigid

Strategy: Counter

Passing Style: Direct

Creative Freedom: More Disciplined

Closing Down: Stand-Off More

Tackling: More Cautious

Marking: Man Marking

Crossing: Drill Crosses

Roaming: Stick To Position

GK: Goalkeeper, Defend (James)

DR: Full Back, Automatic (Johnson)

DL: Full Back, Automatic (A Cole)

DCr: Central Defender, Stopper (Terry)

DCl: Ball Playing Defender, Cover (Ferdinand)

MR: Defensive Winger, Support (Milner)

ML: Winger, Support (A Young)

MCr: Advanced Playmaker, Attack (Gerrard)

MCc: Central Midfielder, Defend (Barry)

MCl: Central Midfielder, Attack (Lampard)

ST: Deep Lying Forward, Attack (Rooney)

They dominated possession about 58%-42%, yet didn't create a single clear cut chance. And as you can gather, we killed them on the counter.

am pretty sure two people doesn't disprove the fact that the game has flaws

Read the whole thread. There are more than 2 peoples and there are going to be many more. Thread has just started.

and by the way, I'm not denying game doesn't have flaws. It's just that I want to prove it's not unplayable and it is possible to stop miraculous comebacks and keep clean sheets if you want.

Won the league with Oldham the other day, for the first 34 games of the season I had only conceded 11 goals. I can post screenshots if need be but I have no reason to lie

Looking at Death's post, I think playing a stopper with a cover defender can make a big difference. That was the defensive system I played and the opp very rarely got any ccc's.

Arsenal vs Tottenham

Scoreline: 4-0

League: Premier League

4-2-3-1 vs 4-4-2

Comments: Our stats were almost identical, which makes 4-0 seem unfair. Only thing that was different is my players had good ratings after and theirs didn't :)

Manuel Almunia did at one point keep 7 consecutive clean sheets in the PL for me, however he conceded 36 goals in 37 games, and kept 15 clean sheets total. Cech kept 15 clean sheets in 34, van der Sar had 11 clean sheets in 30, and Reina had 12 clean sheets in 38.

I also fail to see how this thread can be considered "fanboyism" or "provocative". I think this is a perfectly great thread. :) Yes it is INCREDIBLY frustrating when you concede dumb goals that you shouldn't be. But it makes the game far from unplayable. But perhaps that is only because I was Arsenal and I had a good enough team to win most of the time.

I keep clean sheets. I've beaten Chelsea and Liverpool away this season with Blackburn, but got battered at home by lesser teams.

But there is something not right about this game. It doesn't feel like FM should. Too many stupid results, both in my games and in the other games. Wolves beat Fulham 10-1.

I don't think this thread will solve any problems people have with the game and will more than likely annoy people, which is maybe why it was created....

I keep clean sheets. I've beaten Chelsea and Liverpool away this season with Blackburn, but got battered at home by lesser teams.

But there is something not right about this game. It doesn't feel like FM should. Too many stupid results, both in my games and in the other games. Wolves beat Fulham 10-1.

I don't think this thread will solve any problems people have with the game and will more than likely annoy people, which is maybe why it was created....

Absolutely ridiculous comment. Just because you are already annoyed with the game, doesn't mean everyone will be annoyed as well. Read the Death's post above to get an insight on a meaningful tactics. And stop whinging ffs.

Just because we know how to play the game properly and can keep clean sheets and stop miraculous comebacks, does that mean if want to annoy people ?

Absolutely ridiculous comment. Just because you are already annoyed with the game, doesn't mean everyone will be annoyed as well. Read the Death's post above to get an insight on a meaningful tactics. And stop whinging ffs.

Just because we know how to play the game properly and can keep clean sheets and stop miraculous comebacks, does that mean if want to annoy people ?

:D

No i won't stop whinging.

wow.....just wow, you mate, are a complete pr1ck. All of your posts are confrontational and there is no need for it. Just because YOU'RE happy with the game doesn't mean everyone else is.

There is no denying there is flaws and bugs in the game especially the match engine, where defenders just refuse to tackle or mark players. The amount of 35 yard wonder goals is ridiculous. Some of the AI transfers and manager moves are just plain wrong.

Although saying that its the best FM yet for me and the problems aren't game breaking.

yeah, i think it's posts like this that are the reason you're getting accused of being a fanboy

yeah, i think it's posts like this that are the reason you're getting accused of being a fanboy

No I'm not being accused by anyone. I'm just trying to defend a perfectly playable game and trying to help everyone enjoy it too.

I've really never been one for a tight back 4, it usually comes about 10 years after I win the league and can cherrypick the best players. I find it much more fun to bludgeon my way to the top with freescoring teams like last year on FM09 I finished second having scored over 100 goals in the league, but had conceded more than anyone else with 70 put past me lol.

I would like to see some of this defensive stuff though, as long as it doesn't impact too much upon the scoring side.

There's the accusation, if you missed it.

wow.....just wow, you mate, are a complete pr1ck. All of your posts are confrontational and there is no need for it. Just because YOU'RE happy with the game doesn't mean everyone else is.

I never said the game doesn't have flaws you wid and yes I'm happy with the game and trying to help those who are not. :rolleyes:

Not at home at the moment, but I've kept plenty of clean sheets. Scores (for my side) have been pretty realistic. I guess it all depends on the player and how they play the game - which is something people don't take into account when they argue for/against something.

Match engine can do with a little polishing, no doubt, but I guess I fall into the 'plays like a dream for me regardless' category.

Sorry for being blessed.

Guys ,back to the matter at hand. Wasn't the OP saying to post your positive comments here? like clean sheets kept and those enjoying the game?

35 games played in the bpl ,82 scored and 17 conceeded. Not sure about the whole season but my defense is solid as you can see. I am in the fa cup and champs league final.

I am going to try leeds or newcastle soon to see how my tactics do lower down.

Ill add my two penneth, to try and help. This applies to my 4-4-2 diamond.

I find with this game you can't get away with leaving it to chance as much as you could with previous versions. If i was winning on 09 normally i would have just moved time wasting up at around 80mins and maybe dropped my AM back to CM. And it normally worked.

On this game i find i have to take a striker off and replace with a Def Mid, giving me two Defensive Midfielders. I have to make the entire team play narrower, but i think this wouldn't work if i didn't have Samba to head away any crosses, as they come in more often playing narrow. I change to defensive and very rigid to attempt to stop my stupid players doing stupid things, and i whack time wasting right up. I've grabbed the odd goal doing this too, but that's down to Artem Milevsky or Nicola Kalinic.

I don't drop the defender too deep though because they tend to be overawed if i do.

I always play with defensive full backs, and wingers on support duty, and occasionally play with a centre mid instead of an attacking mid in games where i need to keep it tight.

That's what i've learnt so far about holding on to a lead and helping to keep clean sheets in FM10. Plenty more still to learn and i can't wait for the new patch!

You seem to be unable to debate an issue without resorting to personal comments, so please cut it out.

Manuel Almuna - Keeper - Defend

Bacary Sagna - Wing Back - Attack

Gael Clichy - Wing Back - Attack

William Gallas - Centre Back - Cover

Thomas Vermaelen - Centre Back - Stopper

Miguel Veloso/Alex Song - Ball Winning Mid - Defend

Cesc Fabregas - CM - Attack

Robin van Persie - Inside Forward - Attack

Andrey Arshavin - Inside Forward - Attack

Rafael van der Vaart - Advanced PM - Attack

Eduardo/Nicklas Bendtner - Advanced Forward (sometimes Target Man) - Attack

Played Very Fluid most of the time, although I think I was Rigid at the start of the season when I had the clean sheet run. Deep defensive line. Short passing. Control mentality. Quick tempo. More Expressive. More Roaming...and some luck :p

Forgive me if I missed something :p

Won the Premier League and Europa League using pretty much this tactic, although I changed between Very Fluid/Balanced/Rigid at times. I didn't have one stand out scorer, Rafael van der Vaart was my top league scorer and he scored 15 league goals out of a total of 80. Over 100 goals in all competitions and Robin van Persie was overall top scorer with 21.

Keeping clean sheets is not a problem for me, the only thing i am finding an issue with is the huge difference in inconsistency between games is unbelievable.

Also from the screenie you will notice the amount high scoring games and I am playing normal 4-4-2 formation with (attacking mentality)

I originally created my tactics with the wizard then went to advanced options and had to twick it to get the best out of the teams.

when I want to deafened a lead i just switch to defensive mentality from attacking, I find counter attacking works well here for me. change the defensive line, turn closing down to rarely, tell my players to stay on their feet, pass to feet. basically try and make it difficult for the opposition to score past me and its been working.

I had taken this screen shoot a week back to show a mate, since then I have uninstalled the game and gone back to FM09, going to wait for the next patch to be released and then start off a good career game.

anyway here is my screen shoot..

fixtures.jpg

Guess I forgot to say what I try to do when I have the lead and I want to keep it. I usually go standard or contain. Retain possession, drop deeper, pass to feet, stand off, stay on feet...and when we get down to the last 5-10 mins I add in play even safer. I switch wing backs to defend, as well as any central midfielders that are set to attack. Perhaps will switch to Rigid or Very Rigid too.

This is designed to keep the ball when you have it, and when you don't, it is designed to force the opponent to shoot from distance (how often this works I don't know), and also so that I don't give away free kicks, or get yellow/red cards, and help stop players from running past me. Still happens occasionally, but with one-on-ones less likely to produce goals now, the keeper can keep most of them out.

Keeping clean sheets is not a problem for me, the only thing i am finding an issue with is the huge difference in inconsistency between games is unbelievable.

Also from the screenie you will notice the amount high scoring games and I am playing normal 4-4-2 formation with (attacking mentality)

I originally created my tactics with the wizard then went to advanced options and had to twick it to get the best out of the teams.

when I want to deafened a lead i just switch to defensive mentality from attacking, I find counter attacking works well here for me. change the defensive line, turn closing down to rarely, tell my players to stay on their feet, pass to feet. basically try and make it difficult for the opposition to score past me and its been working.

I had taken this screen shoot a week back to show a mate, since then I have uninstalled the game and gone back to FM09, going to wait for the next patch to be released and then start off a good career game.

anyway here is my screen shoot..

fixtures.jpg

this is completely off topic but I noticed a big coincidence

I've just finished a season with Real Madrid, and in the champs league quarter finals I got Porto and in my champs league semi final I beat Chelsea 3-0 in the first leg, lost the second leg, beat Lyon in the final and beat Villarreal in the Spanish Cup final

just thought you'd like to know :)

this is completely off topic but I noticed a big coincidence

I've just finished a season with Real Madrid, and in the champs league quarter finals I got Porto and in my champs league semi final I beat Chelsea 3-0 in the first leg, lost the second leg, beat Lyon in the final and beat Villarreal in the Spanish Cup final

just thought you'd like to know :)

Wow that is kinda freaky lol..

you finding that you are scoring way too many goals?

Wow that is kinda freaky lol..

you finding that you are scoring way too many goals?

now that you mention it, considering I am only playing one striker up front, I just beat Barca 3-0, and last season I beat Liverpool 4-1, Deportivo 5-0, Porto 5-2, Atletico 4-2, etc.

Raul was the lone striker who got 24 goals, Higuain deputised sometimes with 18 goals, then I got like a billion goals from midfielders

I am one of the people in the "I give up" threads, but it's mainly because I find the match engine annoyingly repetitive rather than becauase I was conceding goals. Indeed, the run of games that made me give up I only conceded one in seven, but I only scored three, with attacking formations. I was just sick of my wingers always letting their marker catch up to knock it off them for a corner, my striker and inside forwards staying absolutely static, my midfielders refusing to play through balls and either shooting from 40 ards or turning around and playing it bacwards when my poacher was free in the box, every free kick going off the wall for a corner, every penalty being scored, every backpass from out wide going out for a corner, every diving goalkeeper sucking the ball in from three or four yards away in one-on-ones.

So I really don't think clean sheets are the problem; for me, I'd just like not to be able to predict what will happen 10 seconds in advance during every highlight. The match engine has a lot going for it, but I was more frustrated by the one-dimensional and clod-brained attacking rather than the defending, which was occasionally poor but seemed to give my side no problem keeping clean sheets. It's just that during the same period, with 3 or 4 diffferent tactics used, I was getting 25% of shots on target and scoring a goal every two games, mainly from penalties or from 30 yards, when i was playing with 3 advanced midfielders, a fast, good off-ball striker with finishing 3 oints above anyone else in the division, and set up to attempt a lot of through balls.

Here's my Best Eleven and my standard tactics for (almost) every match I've played in the years 2009-2010. (See my results posted above)

GK - Sweeper Keeper (Defend)

RB - Fullback (Automatic)

CB - Ball-playing Defender (Stopper)

CB - Limited Defender (Cover)

LB - Fullback (Automatic)

DMF - Anchor man (Defend)

MC - Box-to-box Midfielder (Support)

MC - Ball-winning Midfielder (Defend)

AMC - Trequartista (Attack)

ST - Complete Forward (Attack)

ST - Poacher (Attack)

Play generally begins with the defensive anchor man or ball-winning midfielder winning possession and dispersing it to either the box-to-box midfielder or the trequartista. The b-t-b midfielder or treq then works possession around the middle of the pitch, slowly moving forward, and controlling possession with short, to feet passing. The fullbacks creep forward and provide a lateral option for the midfielders, and occasionally break down the wings to cross. In most cases, the b-t-b or treq will pass and move together into the box and lay the ball off or take a long shot. Because my treq has phenomenal long shot skills, he often poses a great threat to stand-offish defences, and if they collapse he quickly lays off possession to allow play to keep running. My poacher acts as to stretch out the opposition defence and provide a quick break option, and my complete forward usually holds up possession, turns the defender, or takes the ball to the corner and resets possession to the fullbacks.

I generally finish games with a high amount of possession because of the nature of my center midfield and fullbacks.

** Sometime soon I'll be posting a match compilation either on Youtube or something else showing the general play of the team

Just started a new save. Two clean sheets out of my first three games in charge.

I'm just playing a simple 4-4-2, rigid philosophy, with my own tweaks. I've worked on my own set-pieces as well.

Retain possession is my favourite touchline shout. If I take a lead, I generally retain possession to slow it down and keep the ball.

I carefully watch the opposition to see their shape on the pitch. If they start to attack late on, I immediately switch to counter if I feel I need another goal to settle it, or sometimes just contain if I am desperate to hold on or if I have a comfortable lead.

I'm always interested in getting the clean sheet so I tend to be on the cautious side and I pretty much always watch matches on at least extended highlights, which I think is a good tip for those who are struggling.

Regards,

C.

Archived