Tactical Advice.

I'm playing as Liverpool and I have a good side. I typically play an attacking/standard, free-flowing game. Lately I have been absolutely dominating possession easily getting 60% of the ball. Now according to the stats I'm in their half most of the time, and yet at the end of every game I have maybe 7 shots. While the team with at most 40% of the ball has around 20-30. I haven't been jumping tactics every game or anything like that, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where I'm going wrong. One game the bulk of their shots will be long range, next game they will have a ton of chances in the box. No matter what shouts I use I get the same results. I'm not scoring and apparently lining up in 0-0-10, with no movement allowed.

It is my tactics. Just looking for advice.

~Attacking/Standard

~442 with cb's defensive, FB's Auto. Wingers Attack. Ball winning MC Defend. Advanced Playmaker MC Support. Targetman Support. Advanced forward Attack.

One thing I'm noticing is my forwards never get inside the box. When they get the ball fed in they only look to back pass. They never move at goal, that's where my build dies and the counter destroys me.

~Attacking/Standard

~442 with cb's defensive, FB's Auto. Wingers Attack. Ball winning MC Defend. Advanced Playmaker MC Support. Targetman Support. Advanced forward Attack.

One thing I'm noticing is my forwards never get inside the box. When they get the ball fed in they only look to back pass. They never move at goal, that's where my build dies and the counter destroys me.

thats where you have to play wider, do the "play wider" shout. also you might have to change your passing style to more direct etc. and you can also try setting your fullbacks to bomb on and overlap more (even in advanced make them run from deep etc.). it might even be wise to sometimes play a more balanced defensive approach like counter yourself for example. you can also set your players to more roaming.

plus you can play with a sweeper keeper with various settings. possibly exploit flanks aswell, maybe lots of closing down.

things like "no pressure" team talks might help with short passing aswell. and if your gaining loads of possesion you might want to maximize set peices, so organizing a well-drilled corner routine could give you an edge. as we all know, goals change games.

also depending on the pitch and wether conditions will affect the effectiveness of your passing style aswell (amongst other things). one thing ive learnt from this fm is that you shouldn't over-estimate your team as if they're world beaters and you should be more defensive.

my standard setting is "counter" and my manager description is "attacking". it sounds like teams are lining up to get behind the ball while you pass it about in the middle too much then breaking, if you change your passing style to more direct, when there is space your team will get the ball forward more quickly and give the opposition less time to get all their men behind the ball.

your team are probably wasting those chances to break into space by knocking it backwards and sidewards too much.

ooh and ps: if you get a goal or more ahead you can often really punish your opponents by playing counter cause they often have to go forward more than they otherwise would.

Archived