im find deciding on the role and duty of a player abit to confusing

If you're having trouble, use the Tactics Creator wizard and leave the player roles at the settings it gives them. But this is a football management game; spending ages thinking and wondering is part of the appeal, isn't it? How do you want your team to play? What is a particular player's job in the team? What do you want him to do? Which positions are you having trouble with particularly?

In tactics when you select the player you should see a small screen with their attributes and some of them should be highlighted. Those attributes are "key" for that player playing in that role and the attributes that are highlighted change if you change the players role.

There's a sticky in the Tactics forum that goes into great depth about the roles.

But to make it simple, try not to play a player in a role where his attributes aren't very good in the key areas, e.g. a striker with poor jumping as target man.

Assuming you're using 4-4-1 have 1 central midfielder in a defensive role and the other in a support role and 1 striker as attacking and 1 as support. This seems to bridge the gap between defence and midfield and midfield and attack.

That seems to work for me most of the time and if I swap or sub players out I change the role to something more suitable, e.g. if I swap my tall target man for a small striker I change the role to "deep lying forward" and support instead of "target man" and support.

Archived