3D ME Insulting to Lower Leagues

I'm currently managing in one of the bottom leagues in scandinavia!!!!

Now granted my team arent up to much technically but the things im seeing in the 3d match are atrocious its unbelieveable some of the shots, passes, errors etc etc......

Obviously there is a huge gap in ability between world class team but some of the matches are unwatchable beyond belief!!

Anyway rant over!!!

I'm going to agree with you here, to a certain degree anyway :D

I recently tried to become a fully-fledged lower league manager but after a handful of matches I almost choked on my own vomit.

I don't pay too much attention to lower league teams' matches in real life anyway, and as such can't pass judgement on FM's depiction.

I'm going to agree with you here, to a certain degree anyway :D

I recently tried to become a fully-fledged lower league manager but after a handful of matches I almost choked on my own vomit.

I don't pay too much attention to lower league teams' matches in real life anyway, and as such can't pass judgement on FM's depiction.

Just finished a match there & at one stage one of my players got the ball to feet & just stood there as if he didnt know what to do with it, it was early in the game his condistion was 92% there was nothing to suggest he had taking a knock as he was in acres of space he had two simple passing opportunities but just stood there & waited for the tackle & when it came & the opposing player & ball had gone then he stuck out his leg!!!

Your right DMN there has to be a better way of showing the gap in talent.

For the record I love the game especially this series & aldo the above annoys me I cant say it will stop me playing.

Well, I can go one better than everyone here. I'm managing at level 10, and yes, there's no one bending shots, one-twos are almost non existent & every cross I attempt either goes haywire, or hits a defender, but as dafuge said really, I've noticed a big improvement in my team in only two seasons of playing.

I actually thought the opposite of the OP tbh. I was enjoying the level of realism this represents :thup:

My experience matches up with Dafuge, in the beginning its terrible, but improves as times goes along

Probably to do with us morale or team dynamic which might not be accurately portrayed until later on in the first season

My experience is with the English Level 10 download where players stats rarely hit above 6

Well, I can go one better than everyone here. I'm managing at level 10, and yes, there's no one bending shots, one-twos are almost non existent & every cross I attempt either goes haywire, or hits a defender, but as dafuge said really, I've noticed a big improvement in my team in only two seasons of playing.

I actually thought the opposite of the OP tbh. I was enjoying the level of realism this represents :thup:

sorry but the point is at lower level you will still get players with top attributes in certain departments. more often than not they will lack phyiscally or lack the 'third eye' but even anyone at amateur level IRL can play as a unit/decision making better than the posters point. Again however vs a top side obviously fitness and quality would shine.

Thanks lads nice to see a constructive discussion.

Just beat the league leaders(7 wins from 7) in my last match.

Final score was 3-2. They're second goal actually made me laugh(in a good way).

My two CB's stood perfectly still as one of they're strikers strolled past them my keeper deciding to stand rooted to the centre of the goal line looked like he actually turned away from the on-coming player as he slipped the ball into one of two empty corners he had to choose from.

Maybe my keeper has a fear of leather footballs!!!!

Now granted my team arent up to much technically but the things im seeing in the 3d match are atrocious its unbelieveable some of the shots, passes, errors etc etc......

Obviously there is a huge gap in ability between world class team but some of the matches are unwatchable beyond belief!!

Anyway rant over!!!

You're in the lower leagues, what did you expect?

You're in the lower leagues, what did you expect?

I'm fully aware that there is a massive gulf in the quality of football played between top & bottom.

But my point is that the way the ME engine displays this gulf is derogatory to the lower leagues. It's more like watching a game of Under 8's playing.

Obviously I'm not expecting my team or any oppostion team to be playing like Arsenal I just don't think the ME presents a fair representation.

I have to agree.. and I'm playing in the danish premier league. Considering I prefer players with good passing, I'm amazed with the mistakes they are making when they are not under pressure. 1-2 meter passes going out for throw in. Next thing you can see a long pass spot on.

I think the ME is at fault. Feels like a big random mess atm.

I will also agree with this post. I play football myself to a good level albeit much lower than BS etc but we are a good team, composed on the ball and know how to play.

Players in the lower leagues esp the BS are of great ability and would not stand dwelling on the ball as consistent as the mach engine shows.

There is a gulf in class going through all the leagues but whoever posted it looks like a bunch of u8's was pretty accurate.

Having watched Torquay a couple of times and Plymouth alot over the last few years, even players in the Championship are pretty awful. A couple of the Torquay matches I went to the vast majority of the players had very poor technical ability - I've always thought, if anything, lower league players tend to get over rated in FM (not all of them, but some).

Would tend to agree with the op. Having been to a couple of recent Blue Square South matches the quality wasn't good but in terms of organisation and commitment it was no different to a higher level. Players would never have time to even think about standing with the ball, defenders would always close the ball down at the first opportunity.

Head tennis anyone?

I honestly have to say in the Welsh league, where the players quality seems to resemble somewhere between BSP and BSS/N I see some pretty awesome moves and shots... definitely no non-stop flow of shocking mistakes and horrible shots. There is the occasional funny or shocking mistake, but that can be expected.

I think it is very realistic

related :

This is Greek 5th level .

3 minutes worth over how many matches?

And tbh, quite abit was players messing about

Yea it proves mistakes happen and quality isnt as consistent as top level football

But IMO, it doesnt prove this too happen every minute of every single game, hell me and my mates play football just for fun and we play better than that video 99% of the time

Even at junior football it is better than the ME. Under 14's level is very open and you get the odd 6-0, sometimes 14-0. But passing and shooting are of a better quality than level 10, even Halifax league ffs. Level 10 is open and even with finishing of 1 you should be getting goals. FM would we better rating out of 50 or 100. You can then do more than just 1-20. E.g a 1 could be 1-5, 2 would be 6-10 etc

Agree completely. Blue Square, Rymans, County League, Sunday League - at all these levels you will find technically gifted players who lack mental or physical attributes to make it as pros. You'll also find players who lack technical skill but make up for it with mental & physical attributes. And finally players who are distinctly below average in all areas.

FM only seems to model the latter two groups. The players the game generates when you add in levels below Blue Square often have very good physical stats, especially pace, but abysmal technical stats. Wingers with 2 for crossing, strikers with 2 for finishing.

In reality you will have a mix of the above three groups. I've got a striker in my sunday side who is literally one of the best finishers I've ever seen. He just does not miss. But he's lazy, unfit and has no desire to test himself at a higher level. My midfield partner can ping a ball better than most pros, his vision is superb. But he's slow and a little overweight and only 5 '8. Our centre-back reads the game like a book and his positioning is spot on, but he's 5'10 and built like a stick. I could go on!

I agree the level of football in the lower leagues is not ideal (to be diplomatic about it). I'm currently managing at level 8 in England, and what I'm seeing makes me want to tear my hair out. It's not the low level of passing accuracy or poor positioning that is most annoying (that is somewhat realistic), but the keepers pretending to be statues, players trying to imitates walls when you pass to them, defenders taking a nap when throughballs are played, and the absurdly high amount of penalties being awarded.

This shatters the illusion of it being real football. IMO, the most annoying bugs are these, which makes it look like ******* are out on the pitch, and not real footballers.

I hope SI will look into this though, and I'm doing my best to document things now :)

my favorite moment in the lower league match engine is when a striker has his back to goal at the top of the box.......turn one way, turn the other, turn the other way, turn another, turn back, turn the other.......all the while my central defender looks like he just smoked a chonger and is running in circles making himself dizzy and then BOOM....this striker who can't figure out right from left for the past 10 seconds turns and SIZZLES one into the top corner a la Marcos Senna while my goalie didn't come with 5 feet of it. makes me laugh even time I see it and the whole sequence of animations is so bad it leaves me thinking is this Colecovision? Am I in 1984 again?

I agree the level of football in the lower leagues is not ideal (to be diplomatic about it). I'm currently managing at level 8 in England, and what I'm seeing makes me want to tear my hair out. It's not the low level of passing accuracy or poor positioning that is most annoying (that is somewhat realistic), but the keepers pretending to be statues, players trying to imitates walls when you pass to them, defenders taking a nap when throughballs are played, and the absurdly high amount of penalties being awarded.

This shatters the illusion of it being real football. IMO, the most annoying bugs are these, which makes it look like ******* are out on the pitch, and not real footballers.

I hope SI will look into this though, and I'm doing my best to document things now :)

Ohh that's not exclusive for the lower teams. Even happens on higher levels.

Agree completely. Blue Square, Rymans, County League, Sunday League - at all these levels you will find technically gifted players who lack mental or physical attributes to make it as pros. You'll also find players who lack technical skill but make up for it with mental & physical attributes. And finally players who are distinctly below average in all areas.

FM only seems to model the latter two groups. The players the game generates when you add in levels below Blue Square often have very good physical stats, especially pace, but abysmal technical stats. Wingers with 2 for crossing, strikers with 2 for finishing.

In reality you will have a mix of the above three groups. I've got a striker in my sunday side who is literally one of the best finishers I've ever seen. He just does not miss. But he's lazy, unfit and has no desire to test himself at a higher level. My midfield partner can ping a ball better than most pros, his vision is superb. But he's slow and a little overweight and only 5 '8. Our centre-back reads the game like a book and his positioning is spot on, but he's 5'10 and built like a stick. I could go on!

Yeah, spot-on. ONe thing you do notice in these leagues though is general hacking at players. So many injuries to the small fragile players than can league level 8 teams for level 6 and be much better and consistent. Mind boggling

Anyway rant over!!!

I habent tried lower scandinavian leagues. But I have played in league 2 in England and it looked much better to me than FM09. By better I mean you could clearly see a difference between a premier league match and a league 2 match, in earlier FM versions PL and L2 looked just the same in 3D.

The biggest difference you see is first touch. A 50 yard pass to the league 2 player and his first touch sends the ball 5-8 yards infront of him, while the premier player manage to keep the same pass by his feet after the first touch.

But also decision making and tecnique in general. I like it.

Don't forget the old pro who played at a higher level and the young players on their way up. Cracking post though and I agree 100%.

Its something that seems to have gotten worse over several versions of CM/FM

Anyway rant over!!!

Nothing new. CM09 was like that...

Archived