Loan Players, not developing

Of course it matters!

Where the player goes is hugely important. If you send him to a club with great facilities and excellent coaches he will learn much more than if he goes somewhere where the training pitch is a park with jumpers for goalposts.

Also if he goes to a team where the manager is useless even playing games won't be terrible effective because the limitations of the manager will limit the players education.

I always try to hang on until a good team comes in with a loan offer, preferably where they rate the player enough to think he has a chance to play some games (cannot remember the exact status that comes up on the loan offer).

Of course it matters!

Where the player goes is hugely important. If you send him to a club with great facilities and excellent coaches he will learn much more than if he goes somewhere where the training pitch is a park with jumpers for goalposts.

Also if he goes to a team where the manager is useless even playing games won't be terrible effective because the limitations of the manager will limit the players education.

I always try to hang on until a good team comes in with a loan offer, preferably where they rate the player enough to think he has a chance to play some games (cannot remember the exact status that comes up on the loan offer).

1st team experience should matter much more than training facilities. I mean why else would for example, Man Utd send youngsters to 3rd division clubs (which mostly have much worse facilities) rather than keeping them him at home playing u18 with top notch facilities?

Don't underestimate the process of "getting hair on your chest" instead of being nursed in the youth squad.

1st team experience should matter much more than training facilities.

Well, yes and no. If I'm a AMR who just spends 90 minutes running up and down the wing and not being very good then I'd need a manager to tell me what I'm doing wrong but if the coaches where I train do tell me these things then I'm likely to get better in the U18's.

In regards to sending hot prospects on loan for first team experience in order to increase their attributes then yes it seems that the attributes don't increase much at all. If I have an 17/18 year old who has had 1/2 years in the youth team and is now ready for some first team footbal and this player is a great prospect and in theory should be a revalation given his stats and the standard of the team. If the striker has 14 for finishing, heading, composure, off the ball, anticipation, first touch, and has a very good season then I would expect the ratings to increase maybe not all of them but say 4/6 attributes by one point.

But it seems that youth players don't develop very fast and for me was the same in 09. I'm not saying for them to become amazing over night, but it seems that the development of young players should be more rapid then it currently is. :)

1st team experience should matter much more than training facilities. I mean why else would for example, Man Utd send youngsters to 3rd division clubs (which mostly have much worse facilities) rather than keeping them him at home playing u18 with top notch facilities?

Don't underestimate the process of "getting hair on your chest" instead of being nursed in the youth squad.

Agreed; although I think that playing in the lower leagues won't make them progress as well as if they were playing in the top flight.

Agreed; although I think that playing in the lower leagues won't make them progress as well as if they were playing in the top flight.

rubbish

that is how players develop

All youngsters have a season to clip their wings, this is when they improve enough to be considered part of the first team

On FM 2010, there is absolute no development. How else are players every going to develop if we can't actually use the loan system for what it should be used for

This needs sorting badly

The ratings a player gets for his performance also matter. So it may be better to send your player to a club of the 3rd division where he can get an average rating of 8.00 than letting him play in your first team where he can't perform because he is too weak for this standard and has a 5.00 avg rating.

Make sure your players are properly tutored with the right mental attributes before sending them on loan. Ohterwise, they will develop slowly, whether they are at your reserves or at another loan club.

When listing a player for loan, I reject all those offers that are 'cover for the first team' and consider only those 'valuable player' offers. Out of the shortlisted offers, I look at the manager, the training facilities of the loan club.

Make sure your players have the proper mental attributes to develop as said above, otherwise they won't develop much at all no matter if they're on your team or on loan. Another thing to look at is the quality of training facilities at the team you're sending them to (youth won't matter if they're playing 1st team which is where they should be going to gain experience, so only look at regular training facilities). I've had players develop great on loan over several years.

I've come to believe that players only grow/grow best when you send them to a club that offered to loan them without you having offered them out. At least this was true in FM09, I have Jonny Evans for AC Milan, he was almost but not quite good enough for the first team, I was planning to keep him as a sub, reluctantly since I had other choices but then Newcastle came and asked for a loan, saying that he would only be a cover. I checked the players in the Newcastle squad and saw that Evans was better than what they had, so I sent him there anyway.

After a whole season where he played well but not outstanding for Newcastle (about 6.6 average), I was surprised to see that his stats had gone up. Checking his CA told me that he had had a massive CA increase of over 30 points in a single season, and slotted into my first team right away. I repeated the trick with Jack Rodwell two years later.

Archived