Why does the AI sub goalies so often?

I had a little peek at the liverpool squad in my current game, since they are my favourite team.

I noticed that one of their backup keepers had made 10 apps as a sub! Reina had no injuries in his history for this season. Rarely any, but that's besides the point.

That made me check the other teams, and quite a few other goalies had made alot of appearences as a sub.

In my world, as far as I know, keepers only get brought off in case of injury.

So why does the AI "waste" subs on keepers? Anyone else notice that, or can back up my "findings"?

Man U just done it against me (Liverpool) in the 2017 league cup final when winning 2-0. They got their 2nd goal just after half time, and promptly took Foster off and brough on an Italian regen. Final score (after extra time) 3-2 to Liverpool! :D

Have had Chelsea do it against me as well, taking off Cech (yes he's still playing) and bringing on regen. Its probably happened a few more times, but i dont really pay attention to what subs the opposition are making, I just concentrate on my team...

Haha, good going vs man utd! :D

If any of you are at least halfway into a season, can you have a look at all the squads and see if its common for the AI managers to sub their keepers on a reguar basis?

Just started another match so I'll have a flick through after this one and post back whats happened so far in the Premiership. I'm into Feb now, so should get a decent picture of whats been going on! :thup:

Is it a bug?

Need a lot more info before we can say yes or no to that one.

Right, had a look through the stats for this season so far for teams in the premiership (most played 30 games) and here's what we see:

Arsenal > 8 made, 0 through injury

Man Utd > 11, 0 through injury

Wolves > 8, 0 through injury

Forest > 5, 0 through injury

Hull > 3, 0 through injury

Bolton > 2, 0 through injury

Bristol City > 1, 0 through injury.

The rest of the teams, (Liverpool, man city, villa, chelsea, spurs, newcastle, everton, sunderland, west brom, stoke, binrmingham, leeds and west ham) have not used their sub keeper in a match.

So, 7 out of 20 teams have done it, and for 3 of those teams, it appears to have been for no other reason than to give an "up and coming" keeper (21 or younger) some match experience. That is, unless the starting choice picked up a knock and was subbed to preserve their fitness.

Im not talking about what I have witnessed in games here, Im talking about overall stats on other teams.

Im playing as AFC Telford. In march of 2015 Reina has played 43 games. The liverpool backup keeper has 0 (11) as his games stats.

United backup has 8 subs

Villa backup has 12 subs (Main keeper has 1 sub)

Burnley backup has 2 subs

Neverton backup has 8 subs (It's not a typo, I've already mentioned Im aliverpool fan :p)

That's my rundown on the 2015 Premiership sides as of the first of march. It's no epidemic, but it's still odd in my opinion.

So, 7 out of 20 teams have done it, and for 3 of those teams, it appears to have been for no other reason than to give an "up and coming" keeper (21 or younger) some match experience. That is, unless the starting choice picked up a knock and was subbed to preserve their fitness.

Have you EVER seen that in any game in reality?

PaulC > No problem! :thup:

Carradona > No, I havent. The only times I can recall a 'keeper being subbed off (irl) other than for injury, is when they only need a couple of appearances to be able to receive a title winners medal. That's not taking into account when they have been playing absolute pish, of course!

No, I havent. The only times I can recall a 'keeper being subbed off (irl) other than for injury, is when they only need a couple of appearances to be able to receive a title winners medal. That's not taking into account when they have been playing absolute pish, of course!

Oh, that is actually a very good reason that I overlooked. But I still stand by observation and claim that that isn't the case here :p

Im not saying that this is a bug, or that it is gamebreaking, Im just saying that it's wierd. And it could still be very odd/wierd/uncommon. Im extremely interested in other peoples stats on this.

Well, it's not the case considering the teams involved. The title battle is between my Liverpool and Man City. The rest of the teams are a fair way back, and only Man U and Arsenal are in the top 10. Add to that, the example I gave was in the League Cup Final. That doesn't fit that theory.

Im not saying that this is a bug, or that it is gamebreaking, Im just saying that it's wierd. And it could still be very odd/wierd/uncommon. Im extremely interested in other peoples stats on this.

Agreed! :thup:

Yes this is a frequent occurence on my game as well. I am playing a long term holiday game with spurs, and am approaching 2025 having only taken charge of the first two seasons.

My assistant manager will perform a keeper substitution in around 1 third of my games in a season.

In the pre-game editor I seem to remember de-activating his "Plays with keeper on bench" command, and I also gave him 20 for squad rotation*.

GK subbing happens in a moderately large number of games not involving my team as well.

*could it be an error with this stat that is causing this bug? Maybe managers with high squad rotation don't discriminate against GKs enough.

In my fourth season, in the FA cup final, my assman put two keepers on the bench and subbed them both on during the game, unfortunately i dont think this match is still active.

Archived