Finished 4th and not in champs league!

As champions, Man United qualify so they can defend it. This unfortunately means the team in fourth relinquishes their place in the competition, unfortunate? yes. Harsh? Maybe. but as you said, you're Tottenham... :rolleyes:

I think it was 2000 the rule was reintroduced, but they had to go through the qualifiers, but not entirely sure. Recently, I believe since this season there is now a restriction on max 4 teams per country.

To be honest , my memory is a little hazy before last week and it may have Liverpool that got it reintroduce and not Real.

That's because there was no rule in place then, UEFA just sort of assumed that the winner would always re-qualify through their own league. The new rule whereby the 4th place team relinquishes their spot if the Champions League winners finish outside of the top 4 was brought in after that year, to prevent the same thing happening again.

And when Liverpool finished 5th in 2003 (?) England had 5 entrants.

That's because there was no rule in place then, UEFA just sort of assumed that the winner would always re-qualify through their own league. The new rule whereby the 4th place team relinquishes their spot if the Champions League winners finish outside of the top 4 was brought in after that year, to prevent the same thing happening again.

This may well be what I was thinking of. Thank you very much for that. I've been scouring the net to no avail for hours. :o

Archived