Is my new assistant manager pants..

..or just a master of understatement?

I am Notts Co just started 8th season. Solid mid-table prem trying to push on. Part of plan to do this was changing the assistant I had had for the last 4 years. He was rated 13/14 for adaptability, motivating and determination and seemed to do pretty well for me. He was on around £1400 I think.

My new star assistant poached from Sunderland demanded £9000 (which I took as a decent sign of his relative abilities) and is 17 for the 3 aforementioned attributes. He doesn't seem to have much to say for himself though. I can cope with doing the team talks myself. Usually do anyway but when I test his opinion it is usually 'none' and whereas my previous assistant had opposition instructions for at least half the other team this guy usually just has instrucs for 1 or max 2 opp players. It is this that worries me and what I was paying to get done well for me. I don't want to do the opp instrucs for each game and was wondering if he is just a focused tactital genius or too busy getting drunk on his massive wages?

Off the first few games my results don't seem to be any worse but would they be better with more opp instrucs? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I have had two ass managers, and the first one hat the 'ask assistant'-button greyed out most of the time, while my current usually just sets every opponent to get tackled hard. I am not very happy about either.

Thanks for the replies. Have worked it out. My scout that I was using to 'scout next opponent' had retired in the summer and I hadn't given anyone else the task. My assistant is a veritable font of info now. Whether his suggestions are any good I wouldn't like to vouch for but at least he is willing to speak up now.

Archived