The best football management game in the last 10 years?

hey, I was just wondering what you people think was SI best football management game in the last 10 years?

There has been a few really addictive ones and a few not worth mentioning at all.

My personal favourite was Cm 03/04. I that game was probably the most addictive for me. I still find myself playing that 1 sometimes. You had players you will never forget on that game. Freddy Adu was only 14 and a must buy. you could sign him for nearly every team. there was also toledo. Probably the best winger i have ever signed on any football manager game. There was Supat Rungratsamee. he was some 15 year old Tai wonderkid that scored some amount of goals.

There was Evandro Roncatto, Ian Macsween and todorov. The list goes on.

Anyways I just thought i would ask the question. What was your favourite?

Oh and im sorry if im not allowed to post this or if it is in the wrong place.

i love FM10 but my vote has to go with CM03/04. I thought my CM/FM days we're over when my mate let me borrow his PC. I noticed that there was CM03/04 loaded on it but never had a disk or anything so never tried it until one day really bored i took a long shot and it worked. not sure if it was cracked or you just didnt need the disk but my love for the game was revived. The game was amazing, so realistic with abseloute classis players like Adu, Rungratsamee, Robinho/diego(both at santos) Montelivio(sp). My mate had to take the PC back so i was stuck again, so I bought a new laptop and bought not the current but one before Championship Manager, unbeknown to me that times have changed and was massively dissapointed but I thought hey, this is the best i can get then i'll play it. The same mate who lent me the computer steered me in the right path and FM09 was promptly bought. i think a special shout out needs to go to CM2 as this is where it all officially started.

Well, I've been playing since CM2 and I can't think of a better all round and challenging version of the game than FM10, I am of the consensus that it gets better every year, with the exception of 07 - 08. 08 is my least favourite of the football manager series.

CM 99/00 & 01/02 were possibly my favourite versions of the CM series.

FM10 is, for me, by far the best of the series so far. I didnt buy 09 as my old pc wasnt good enough! 08 was great, really enjoyed that and had several long-term saves on it, far more than I have on any previous version apart from CM01/02.

1. FM10 - You get all the people whining about it, but lets be honest, its their tactics 9/10 times!

2. CM01/02 - This is the game that got me into managing games, at my young age of 10/11 :) I was a mini Redknapp back then!

3. FM07 - I don't know what it was about 07, but I really enjoyed it!

FM07 was the best for me, I don't know what it was about that game but it had a playability that I haven't seen in the others before or since really. I think it was because then pace wasn't the only thing that really mattered. I remember being able to build sides in the manner I wanted, sides of veterans that worked and power mixed in where pace wasn't the major factor in a teams success. Man Utd aren't too great on FM especially these days because they lack players with blinding pace, Arsenals youngsters come through with it and the same afflictions usually befall Liverpool and Chelsea.

FM10 is great though, and doesn't suffer as much from the prominence of pace as 08 and 09 did.

My favourite was and i guess still is CM03/04. I never really was big on signing players back then or knowing who the best players are on the game, Like i am now.

But i loved that game it was fun to play. I still played it non-stop to 2007 when i decided to buy FM again after i decided it was time to get with the times, After i had borrowed it from a friend and enjoyed it. But CM03/04 was so fun to play and was realistic in its time.

The 2D was in its second year & was looking really good, The crowd sounds were perfectly coded to the match engine, Everyting that happened on the pitch their was realistic sound to go with it.

You could actually hear the away fans on the match engine back then too,

They sung more frequently on the match engine and also sung at the same time as the home fans were singing, Actually singing over the top of each other.

Unlike on the FM's where you can just about hear the away fans if your playing against Man Utd or some one. ;) On Cm03/04 It was like being at a real game.

Players were not so hard to sign, Nor did they start to turn rubbish as soon as they got to 30.

I know alot of people liked CM01/02 the best. But for me CM03/04 was the best. :)

I did buy FM 2005 but i did not like it (Had changed so much from CM03/04) So i lent it to my mate a week after buying it and he said it was rubbish too and went back on CM03/04.

But back then, I had no idea you could change skins,backgrounds, add sound packs/facepacks/logos etc. I did not even know anything about patches nevermind what they were. If i knew this back then i probably would have enjoyed it.

I did patch up my CM03/04 back in the day, But i had no idea what it was for back then ...

Guess it is just nostalgia though. Mind you i did play on that game untill late on 2007 so it must have been good. I tried going back on it after FM09 was frustrating me, But it looks so basic now. Since i have gotten into the FM's since FM07, CM03/04 is always going to be hard and basic to go back to.

Im still praying for a day i find another management game like CM 03/04, Where i can play it forever and i don't feel the need to buy a new one. But why would a game company want to do that now adays? They won't make it absoutly perfect, Afterall they want you to have a reason to spend your money on the next one. :p

But out of the FM's i have played. 07/08/09/10. Football Manager 2010 is by far the best one imo.

I enjoy playing this one more than the others. But its still no CM03/04. ;)

I've been playing since CM 93/94 season! I probably played that one more than any - mammoth game with Liverpool

Loved CM2 97/98

CM 03/04 was awesome - almost cost me a gf!

The yearly updates kinda takes the fun out of it as they improve completely over the past years so you can't really learn to love any single year without it being superseded by the following iteration

I played CM 00/01, CM 01/02 and FM 06 the most.

Had a few decent games on CM 03/04 I think, eventually one on FM 07 and a good online game on CM4.

Probably played FM 08 and 09 the least, never got into either of them really. Can't actually remember much about FM 05.

Mixture of the games being the better versions and me having more time to play and get into them.

FM 2010 still too early to tell. A lot of it will depend how much time I get to play it.

I honestly think it's this one but (mainly for nostalgia value) the run from 01/02 - 04/05 was a personal highlight. The one you mention was great, if a bit easy, and the one where Kenny Miller and Mark Kerr were incredible was probably the most engrossed I've ever been in a game.

I think last year was too difficult, which maybe was needed after years of it being a bit simple maybe but this seems to have been redressed in fm10. I am definitely enjoying it as much as I have since the early days of the 2d pitch, seeing Miller and a young Rooney tear it up for my all conquering Everton side.

Definately this one for me so far, i am genuinly feeling excited about a looooooong term game for the first time in years.. I know a lot of people seem to have massive issues with it but i have yet to encounter the vast majority of these problems.

After that probaly Cm 99/00 which i load onto every new computer and still play very regularly when i get a bit bored with FM.

Tonto Zola Moukoko, Simon Davies (along with about 5 more players from peterborough) and all those Scandinavian wonderkids bring back fond memories.

2007 is the game that I enjoyed most. No need to stuff around with tactics or media conferences, steamlined, stable and fun. Its only weakness was that the contract system was stuffed, but that was minor compared to the other games.

I don't know about Roy Hodgson but you certainly have no idea and it's obvious for everyone to see.

What an absolutely ridiculous comment. Anyone who gets beat 10-1 by Wolves doesn't know anything about football. They only beat me 5-2 so i'm relatively happy with that.

What an absolutely ridiculous comment. Anyone who gets beat 10-1 by Wolves doesn't know anything about football. They only beat me 5-2 so i'm relatively happy with that.

Ok I deleted my comment, fair enough if you get these results.

Ok I deleted my comment, fair enough if you get these results.
I was sort of winding you up from your comment in the other thread, but i've noticed i've come across as a troll which i didn't want to. So ill leave it there!

That 10-1 result has actually made me think less of Roy Hodgson though, even though it's only on a game! He still one of the best managers around, even just for his accent.

Archived