Is The Play Variable?

I was wondering, hypothetically - if you played a game, and then played that same game again using the exact same tactics (both teams), same substitutions, same weather conditions, etc. would the results be exactly the same both times? Is are there variables which would cause the game to take a different course?

No the results won't be the same both times. You haven't tried that already though?

No it wouldn't be the same. Injuries during matches, timing of goals(leading to different morale), fouls, cards etc.

You aren't really providing any answer. If all the starting conditions are the same, then all the goals, injuries, fouls, cards, etc. could very possibly be the same - if there is no variable rate embedded in the game.

No the results won't be the same both times. You haven't tried that already though?

It's impossible for me to set the weather, side starting with the ball, tactics for both teams, etcetera on exactly the same for two games.

The matches would be different. The match engine is based on millions of probability calculations - e.g. the chance of a player completing a pass, scoring from a shot, winning a tackle and so on. The better a player is, the better his tactics, the better he copes with the weather etc, the higher a players probability of doing something. These probabilities are evaluated using a random number generator, so if a player has an 80% chance of scoring from a shot, if you play that match 5 times, he'll on average score 4 times and miss once.

Actually this happened to me last night. I had a power cut (The whole street went out). I did exactly the same as before I lost power, made the same team talks, played the same players, tactics, etc. The results and games played were completely different.

So to answer your question yes, it is different. But I don't run tests, or quite and restart.

The matches would be different. The match engine is based on millions of probability calculations - e.g. the chance of a player completing a pass, scoring from a shot, winning a tackle and so on. The better a player is, the better his tactics, the better he copes with the weather etc, the higher a players probability of doing something. These probabilities are evaluated using a random number generator, so if a player has an 80% chance of scoring from a shot, if you play that match 5 times, he'll on average score 4 times and miss once.

Thanks for clearing it up, that's what I was curious about.

Actually this happened to me last night. I had a power cut (The whole street went out). I did exactly the same as before I lost power, made the same team talks, played the same players, tactics, etc. The results and games played were completely different.

Yes, that's happened to me to. But I don't think there is necessarily any guarantee that the opposition manager would use the exact same tactics, team talks, etc. or that the weather would be precisely the same. So it's not quite a true test of if play is variable or not.

Yes, that's happened to me to. But I don't think there is necessarily any guarantee that the opposition manager would use the exact same tactics, team talks, etc. or that the weather would be precisely the same. So it's not quite a true test of if play is variable or not.

You aren't really providing any answer. If all the starting conditions are the same, then all the goals, injuries, fouls, cards, etc. could very possibly be the same - if there is no variable rate embedded in the game.

Paradox...

Archived