3 keepers for international squads.

That was probably out of respect for Robert Enke, who would have been in the squad had he not died.

Most squads take 3 keepers in case one gets injured, goalkeeper is a very specialized position, most other positions can be filled with a temporary player quite easily.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this either, seems to be an FM only thing, not taken from real life.

Even if this was a rule in real life, I've seen the England U21s play a goalkeeper up front before, so there'd be nothing stopping you from declaring Wayne Rooney is a goalkeeper and playing him up front instead.

That was probably out of respect for Robert Enke, who would have been in the squad had he not died.

Most squads take 3 keepers in case one gets injured, goalkeeper is a very specialized position, most other positions can be filled with a temporary player quite easily.

No, Löw only nominated two keepers although Enke was fit again.

Don't know why you have to select 3 keepers though.

No they originally had 3 keepers in ther squad but Rene Adler withdrew and they didn't call up a replacement.

For international competitions like the World Cup in the squad of 23 there has to be three recognised goalkeepers named, i.e. players who usually line out as a goalkeeper, I think this rule carries over for qualifying matches (not sure though), and friendlies don't really matter.

Well then there you go, I don't know the ins and outs of the Germany squad, but 1 keeper got injured, which is what I was saying :p

They have 3 keepers, if 1 gets injured, they still have 2, 1 to play and 1 to sit on the bench feeling sorry for himself. I'm pretty sure you can only call up replacements up to a certain point before the match takes place.

I haven't played international teams on FM10, but I know before it was up to you how many goalkeepers you selected for the squad. As far as I know almost every country in real life selects 3 goalkeepers. England ALWAYS takes 3 goalkeepers.

Besides this whole point kind of becomes...well...pointless...if Germany called up 3 goalkeepers to begin with...if 1 pulls out because of injury, then that is a whole different point...

Well then there you go, I don't know the ins and outs of the Germany squad, but 1 keeper got injured, which is what I was saying :p

They have 3 keepers, if 1 gets injured, they still have 2, 1 to play and 1 to sit on the bench feeling sorry for himself. I'm pretty sure you can only call up replacements up to a certain point before the match takes place.

I haven't played international teams on FM10, but I know before it was up to you how many goalkeepers you selected for the squad. As far as I know almost every country in real life selects 3 goalkeepers. England ALWAYS takes 3 goalkeepers.

Besides this whole point kind of becomes...well...pointless...if Germany called up 3 goalkeepers to begin with...if 1 pulls out because of injury, then that is a whole different point...

My point is that it isn't a rule in real life that you have to have 3 keepers and Germany had plenty of time to call up a new goalkeeper but chose not to. And England choose to have 3 goalkeepers they aren't forced.

Before Euro 96 (or could have been WC 98) international squads were 22 player, so teams could have two players for each position, but managers and FAs complained that if a injury or suspension occured to a GK then they wouldnt have a back-up on the bench which would unfairly adversly affect a players performance thus giving there opponents a advantage. So the rule makers agreed to extend international squads to 23 but to make sure nobdy takes the **** then the but in the rules that 3 players in the squad must be goalkeepers (ie regular GKs for there club teams.

I don't know if there is any rule that states you MUST name 3 goalkeepers in your squad, but I also don't know if FM makes you choose 3 keepers. Like I said I haven't managed a nation yet, but I may try my hand at it soon. Let's face it, you should be allowed to choose the squad you want, but anyone that selects only 2 keepers when they make their call ups for international matches is asking for trouble.

I don't know how long before the match Adler got injured, but I guess it is really up to them if they decide to call up a replacement or not, which apparently they decided not to. But the point is, they called up 3 keepers originally, and then one of them got injured. Teams do not always replace players that get injured.

Anyway, long story short, you should be allowed to call up as many keepers as you like, but if you only call up 2, then you are asking for trouble, especially if it is for a tournament squad like the World Cup. You need 3 keepers, because I found the likelihood 1 will get injured is very high...of course, if there is a rule out there stating you need 3 keepers, then of course that should be in the game... :p

Why do you have to have 3 goalkeepers in the squad for international games in FM? In real life Germany only had 2 for todays friendly against the Ivory Coast.

What's your meaning by "have to"? I don't know about FM10 since I haven't control any international team yet, but in the previous versions it's all up to you how many GK player called up in your squad. I once managed Ghana and all I have only two lousy Ghanaian GKs, so I just call up one. But in the game I got one GK grey player, meaning I have two. And I think I've also try not to call up any GK, but in the game I've got two grey GK. But in those two I forgot did I use all the available player slot or not. Well, my point is up to FM09 I never experienced the game force me to include 3GKs in my international squad. The number is up to you to choose for, with its own consequences like BigCisHere said.

Archived