getting rid of old, deadwood top earners cheaply

ive just discovered a crafty exploit to get rid of old 'deadwood' top earners.

i signed nicky butt on a free in my second season at bradford thinking the midfield battler would bring some much needed experience to my midfield. his wage demands were quite high, but i thought he would be worth it. however, he only made a handful of non-descript appearances throughout a successful season for my team.

nearing the end of the season i decided id place him on the transfer list for nothing and offered him to clubs for nothing, but nobody showed any interest. his wages were just short of £10,000 per week.

i was desperate to get rid because i needed to offload top earners to appease the board and help me sign more players in my 3rd season. it was out of desperation i offered him a mutual termination. alas, he refused stating he was "angry" at the suggestion.

then he stated he planned to retire after his contract ran out (a year left!) and was quite happy to see out his career with bradford till that date. on his cushty wages of £10,000 per week- £520,000 after a year!

he also stated he planned to become a coach when his playing days were over...bingo! got him!

i offered him a coaching job at the club and he accepted it for £875 a week. the next day i offered him a mutual termination and he happily accepted it for £40,000!

the morale of this tale? never trust masticator! ha ha.

hope this exploit might help others.

Archived