[FM10] To Gateshead, at least they'll take me!

boblardo

Version = Fm 2009

DB Ver = 9.3.0

gateshead.gif

Founded in 1977, Gateshead are a semi-professional English club currently playing in the Blue Square North. The club play their home games at The International Stadium and possess adequate training facilities and a basic youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Tynesiders and retains a fierce rivalry with Blyth Spartans.

Season 1 Review

A great season in the league but disappointment in the cup competitions. Our objective was to achieve a decent position but winning the league is a major achievement although somewhat unexpected.

Onto next season and we will see what the chairman demands from us although I feel with a little strengthning we could do well.

Board: Mid table

Blue Square North - 1st

Conference Cup - 1st Round

FA Trophy - 1st Round

FA Cup - 3rd Qualifying Round

Transfers In - 18 Players For £0

Transfers Out - 18 Players For £10K

Top Goalscorer – David Lee (39)

Fans Player of the year – David Lee

Table

0809table.jpg

Gateshead

gateshead.gif

Season 2 Review

Staying up was our main objective and I believe they will achieve that in the remaining four games. However, I believe now to be the time to move on and wish Gateshead all the very best. League 2 team Morecambe offered me a £775 pw, three year contract. Morecambe have already been relegated from league 2 so I will no doubt be facing my old team next season. John Durnin also left Gateshead and has followed me to Morecambe.

Blue Square Premier - 19th when I left, 18th at end of season.

Conference Cup - 3rd Round

FA Trophy - 2nd Round

FA Cup - 4th Qualifying Round

Transfers In - 11 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 10 players for £0K

Top Goalscorer – David Lee (18)

Fans Player of the year – David Lee

Table

0910table.jpg

Morecambe

Morecambe_FC.png

Founded in 1920, Morecambe are a professional English club currently playing in the Coca-Cola League 2. The club play their home games at Christie Park and possess adequate training facilities and a basic youth setup.

The club is affectionately known as The Shrimps.

Season 2 Review

League 2 – 24th When I joined, 24th at the end of the season

FA Cup – 1st Round

Johnston Paints – 1st Round

League Cup – 1st Round

Transfers In - 9 players for £19K

Transfers Out - 18 players for £0K

Table

0910table2.jpg

Morecambe

Morecambe_FC.png

Season 3 Review

Some good performances and some bad performances but it was my away form that ended our season in the league. Overall a season of transition, another key objective was to reduce the wage bill and with the club being in debt to the tune of £500K I didn't have too many funds to spend either. The wage budget remained high at £185 over budget. A number of players moved on were on big wages, £800 p/w or more, but by the time the season ended we only had 5 players on more than £600. This will need to be reduced further next year.

Board – Title Challengers

Blue Square Premier - 8th

Conference Cup - Winners

FA Trophy - 2nd Round

FA Cup - 1st Round

Transfers In - 28 players for £41K

Transfers Out - 37 players for £73K

Top Goalscorer – Danny Hoesen (19)

Fans Player of the year – Danny Hoesen

Table

1011table.jpg

Morecambe

Morecambe_FC.png

Season 4 Review

This season was definitely a successful one. Although we didn’t achieve all the board objectives getting promoted to the football league at the second attempt is a massive boost. My scout’s found some really good players which helped a great deal and the one plus was my young striker, who after coming through the ranks surprised everyone by ending up as the clubs second top scorer. We managed to reduce the wage budget by running with a small squad which allowed us to spend a little more on wages for our better players. We got lucky with injuries and our main aim next year will be to make a profit.

Board – Title Challengers

Blue Square Premier - 1st

Conference Cup - 3rd Round

FA Trophy - 4th Round

Transfers In - 16 players for £3K

Transfers Out - 19 players for £60K

Top Goalscorer – Michael Halliday (21)

Fans Player of the year – Brian Cash

Table

1211table.jpg

Morecambe

Morecambe_FC.png

Season 5 Update

Morecambe seem to bleed money and despite my best efforts of keeping the wage budget low they were still £600K in debt when I left. This of course meant it was hard to attract the quality of player required to stay in this division and with only £3K in transfer funds needed to rely on free transfers found by the scouts. On December 28th with the team 24th place in League Two, I left Morecambe after League One Yeovil offered me the position of manager. I had to take a £300 pay cut but felt I was able to achieve more at Yeovil than at Morecambe.

Board – Fight Bravely against Relegation

League Two – 24th

League Cup – 1st Round

FA Cup – 1st Round

Transfers In - 7 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 15 players for £0K

Yeovil Town

yeovil.jpg

Founded in 1895, Yeovil Town are a professional English club currently playing in the Coca-Cola League 1. The club play their home games at Huish Park and possess adequate training facilities and an adequate youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Glovers.

As a club which enjoyed its best spell of success during the 2000s and their last competition win coming as recently as 2005, The Glovers are a club with a growing history. Yeovil won the English 4th tier for the only time in 2005, won the FA Trophy in 2002, won the English 5th tier for the only time in 2003 and finished runners-up on one occasion, and won the Conference League Cup in 1989 and finished runners-up on one occasion.

Season 5 Update

When I joined Yeovil are in 24th place, 6 points of safety with 22 games played. A quick check of the finances shows that Yeovil are £1.2 Million in debt losing approximately £200K every month. The wage budget is set at £23K per week and Yeovil are £3K over this limit

There are 18 full time professionals and 13 youth players, 11 of which are released. That leaves us with a squad of 20 players but I will need to offload some of the higher earners before I can bring anyone in.

John Durnin also joins me at Yeovil.

Yeovil Town

yeovil.jpg

Season 5 Review

A disappointing season, I really felt we had the squad to stay in this division but I joined them when they were 24th and we ended up 24th. We are going to need to reduce the wage budget next season although we are £1.5 million in debt I just hope we avoid administration and the 10 point penalty it brings. I do feel responsible and want to get the team backup next year. have expressed an interest in my services, they were relegated from League One also but would be interested in the managers role.

League 1 - 24th

Johnston Paints - 3rd Round

League Cup - 1st Round

FA Cup - 1st Qualifying Round

Transfers In - 20 players for £0K,(7 of which I brought in)

Transfers Out - 34 players for £350K (13 of which I moved on for £350K)

Top Goalscorer – Lewis Guy (8)

Fans Player of the year – David Perkins

Table

1213table.jpg

Yeovil Town

yeovil.jpg

Season 6 Update

October 29th and Yeovil decide to sack me. We had to reduce spending as we were massively in debt but they still expected us to win the league. That said I couldn’t buy a result away from home constantly getting thrashed 4-1, 3-1,3-0 and my record was 1 point from 21 with a -13 goal difference but at home I was performing well with 15 points from a possible 21 and just 3 conceded. Not entirely surprised I was sacked and not too gutted either, never really had the passion for Yeovil, so unemployed and await an opening. John Durnin also follows me out of Yeovil.

League 2 - 17th

League Cup - 1st Round

FA Cup - 1st Round

Transfers In - 12 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 17 players for £105K

Guiseley

guiseley.jpg

Season 6 Update

After 3 months and multiple job applications I finally get offered the job at Guiseley AFC.

Guiseley joined Division Two of the Yorkshire League in 1968 and were relegated to the newly formed Third Division in 1970. Having returned to the Second Division at the first attempt, they gained promotion to the First Division in 1974. Relegated from their first season, they returned the following year as Yorkshire League Division Two Champions. They were Yorkshire League Runners-up in 1980 and 1982.They were founder members of Northern Counties East League in 1982-83 and reached the FA Vase Semi-Final in 1990. They won it at Bramall Lane the following season, beating Gresley Rovers 3-1 in a replay after a 4-4 draw at Wembley Stadium along with the Northern Counties East League title, gaining promotion to the Northern Premier League Division One.They reached the FA Vase Final again in 1992 this time as runners-up to Wimborne Town and won the Northern Premier League First Division in 1994, a season also marked by an FA Trophy semi-final appearance with Runcorn.They stayed in the Premier Division until relegation in 2000 but returned to the top division in 2004. In the 2007-08 season, they narrowly missed out on a playoff place, finishing 6th, just one point behind Buxton.Since 1990, they have reached the 4th Qualifying round of the FA Cup six times, reaching the 1st round proper in 2002-03, losing 0-4 at Luton Town.

In August 2008, just one week before the start of their 2008–09 league season, the club's Nethermoor ground was attacked by arsonists. One third of the main stand was damaged in the early morning blaze. More than 40 seats and wooden flooring were destroyed, which would cost £20,000 to replace.

When I joined Guiseley AFC are in 17th place and the board expect us to achieve a safe mid table position. We have £0 transfer funds a wage budget of just £4K. We have no coaches so I offer a contract to the John Durnin, who has followed me from Gateshead, Morecambe and Yeovil, he accepts and becomes new first team coach.

Gusieley

guiseley.jpg

Season 6 Review

Having joined Guiseley on 20th February we had an outside chance of the play offs but it was a task too far. We still managed to finish a respectable 9th place, only 8 points off a play off place. 2 defeats in the last 13 games gives us hope for next year. My scouts found 2 really good goalies, Botond Antal and Benjamin Siegrist, both of whom have been capped by their youth national teams. Siegrist has 11 caps for the Swiss youth team Antal has 12 caps for the Hungarian youth team. Due to injuries a couple of youth players came through the ranks and impressed so may not need to strengthen as much as I first though.

Blue Square North - 9th

Conference League Cup - 1st Round

Fa Trophy - 2nd Round

Transfers In - 14 players for £0K,(2 of which I brought in, both goalies found by my scouts)

Transfers Out - 12 players for £0K

Top Goalscorer – Jamie Nolan (22)

Fans Player of the year – Jamie Nolan

Table

1314table.jpg

Guiseley

guiseley.jpg

Season 7 Review

No one wanted to join us apart from, well no one of any quality. I couldn’t find a striker so I had to rely on my youth team, and the 3 strikers promoted managed 7 goals between them. The top scorer from last season was rubbish after renewing his contract so he was moved on. We didn’t win an away game until November and we only lost 3 at home but drew too many in the process. Our lack of firepower cost us and we finished 2nd lowest scorers in the division. Our defence was strong but the board are reluctant to spend money so more of the same next year I think.

Blue Square North - 18th

Conference League Cup – 2nd Round

FA Trophy – 3rd Qualifying Round

FA Cup – 3rd Qualifying Round

Transfers In - 7 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 31 players for £0K

Top Goalscorer – Andros Townsend (10)

Fans Player of the year – Adam Mekki

Table

1415table.jpg

Gusieley

guiseley.jpg

Season 8 Update

Another defeat led me to applying for the Luton job, after which the Guiseley board offered me the opportunity to resign which I took. So I am now unemployed again!

Once again goals were my problem, my strikers had scored 11 goals between them in 41 games, but with no money to bring in a decent striker another season of struggle was all we could face. Again the defence was strong which helped our home form but the away form was terrible with 0 wins in 12 games.

Blue Square North - 18th (with 27 games to go)

Conference League Cup – 3rd Round

Transfers In - 19 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 24 players for £0K

Boston United

boston_united.gif

Season 8 Update

On Wednesday 9th March 2016 Boston United offer me the chance to become their manager and I duly accept the challenge.

Founded in 1933, Boston United are a semi-professional English club currently playing in the Blue Square North. The club play their home games at York Street and possess adequate training facilities and a very basic youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Pilgrims.

The club enjoyed probably their best spell of success during the 2000s. Although now enduring a fourteen year barren spell, having not won a competition since 2002, The Pilgrims still have a history of which they can be justly proud. Boston Utd finished runners-up in the FA Trophy in 1985, won the English 5th tier for the only time in 2002, and won the English 7th tier for the only time in 2000.

When I joined Boston they are in 13th place in the Blue Square North.

Boston United

boston_united.gif

Season 8 Review

A mixed bag of results for the final run in, especially away from home but we eventually ended up 14. Some of the players will be moved on as they don’t appear to be up to standard otherwise we have a base of a good side.

Looking to next year, I will be looking to push for promotion and I am quietly confident we can get it.

Blue Square North - 14

Transfers In - 7 players for £0K (None by me)

Transfers Out - 17 players for £0K (None by me)

Top Goalscorer – John Corrigan (18)

Fans Player of the year – Michael Abnett

Table

1516table-1.jpg

Boston United

boston_united.gif

Season 9 Update

An excellent season, but injuries in towards the end of the season highlighted how weak the squad was. If we can keep the squad together and add a few quality additions then I am hopeful of doing well next year. Although our wage budget will need to be upped a little to ensure we can attract the quality needed.

Blue Square North – 1st

Conference League Cup – 1st Round

FA Trophy – 4th Round

FA Cup – 2nd Qualifying Round

Transfers In - 14 players for £6k

Transfers Out - 29 players for £0k

Top Goalscorer – Nathan Liddle (35)

Fans Player of the year – Nathan Liddle

Table

1617table-1.jpg

Boston United

boston_united.gif

Season 10 Reivew

I enjoyed my time at Boston but on October 23rd Peterborough United offered me the chance to become their manager. They are currently in League 1 so a big jump up and although I felt I could have probably won the Blue Square Premier this a decent opportunity to move up the divisions. John Durnin also leaves Boston United.

Board Expectation – Fight Bravely against Relegation

Blue Square Premier – 4th

FA Trophy – Not Yet Entered

FA Cup – 4th Qualifying Round

Transfers In - 16 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 18 players for £0K

Top Goalscorer – Nathan Liddle (18)

Fans Player of the year – Nathan Liddle

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 10 Update

Founded in 1934, Peterborough United are a professional English club currently playing in the Coca-Cola League 1. The club play their home games at London Road and possess adequate training facilities and a basic youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Posh and retains a fierce rivalry with Northampton Town and Cambridge United.

The club enjoyed probably their best spell of success during the 1970s. Although now enduring a forty-three year barren spell, having not won a competition since 1974, The Posh still have a history of which they can be justly proud. Peterborough finished runners-up in the English 3rd tier for the only time in 2011, and won the English 4th tier in 1961 and 1974 and finished runners-up on one occasion.

When I join Peterborough they are 17th in League One and I immediately sign John Durnin as coach.

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 11 Review

A superb run of form, 7 wins in the last 10 games, at the end of the season saw us secure a mid table position easily. Our main objective of reducing the wage budget was achieved too. Still in the red one major objective for next year will be to reduce this debt. An overhaul in playing personnel is required to ensure we are able to challenge for promotion.

Board Expectation – Achieve Safe Mid Table Position

League Two –11th

Johnstone Paint – South Semi Final

League Cup – 2nd Round

FA Cup – 2nd Round

Transfers In - 25 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 27 players for £325K

Top Goalscorer – Lee Rogers (23)

Fans Player of the year – Lee Rogers

1819able.jpg

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 12 Review

I was optimistic about our chances this season but felt if the players could start quickly we could do well. A 3 horse race at the end of season run in saw us finish second, on goal difference, behind eventual winners Scunthorpe. Although we have a decent squad for League 1, it will need to be improved for next season.

That said I hope to have a slightly bigger wage budget as we cleared the club debt by £620,000 over the season. We also said goodbye to Matthew Upson, the assistant manager. He was here when I joined the club and now that his contract has expired the time is right to see him leave.

Board Expectation – Achieve Safe Mid Table Position

League Two – 2nd

Johnstone Paint – South 1st Round

League Cup – 3rd Round

FA Cup – 3rd Round

Transfers In - 13 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 19 players for £600K

Top Goalscorer – Anthony Casey (18)

Fans Player of the year – Wisam Kassem

1920table.jpg

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 13 Review

Definitely a season of transition, some of the big players from our promotion season wanted new contracts but at well over our wage budget and were in the last year of their contract so were moved on. Others left on a free after seeing their contract expire.

On occasions we suffered due to being a young team, most notably we went 13 games without winning which saw us free fall down the division. The average age of the squad is just 23.

A new physio is also in order after long serving physio Keith Oakes decided to retire after 15 years at the club.

Board Expectation – Stay Clear Of Relegation

Championship – 19th

League Cup – 2nd Round

FA Cup – 4th Round

Transfers In - 28 players for £0K

Transfers Out - 30 players for £1.9M

Top Goalscorer – Andy Baker (12)

Fans Player of the year – Andy Baker

2021table.jpg

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 14 Review

A good start to the season was followed by a real dip in form but we ended up safely away from the relegation zone. The cups ended in disappointment Liverpool knocking us out of the League Cup and then the blue half of merseyside, Everton, knocked us out of the FA Cup.

Due to the previous seasons transfer dealings we were afforded a bigger wage budget and even some transfer money but still we relied on the scouts finding younger talent. Some big offers have come in over the summer but I don't need to sell and I really believe we are slowly building a strong squad.

Still we lacked firepower which was obvious as our Centre Back and Captain was the top scorer.

The board upgraded the youth facilities and have approved an upgrade of our training facilities. Average attendances were also up so it seems progress is being made on and off the pitch.

Board Expectation – Stay Clear Of Relegation

Championship – 14th

League Cup – 2nd Round

FA Cup – 3rd Round

Transfers In - 36 players for £375K

Transfers Out - 34 players for £1.6M

Top Goalscorer – Paul Burton (13)

Fans Player of the year – Bradley Kamara

table2122.jpg

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 15 Review

This was definately a season in which we over achieved. The target was a respectable position and we finished 5th which meant the playoffs. Beating Blackburn in the semi final was a highlight being humbled 3-0 in the play off final was a low point. Kept with the same squad as the season before and this paid dividends, although I did bring in a new centre back only for him to be a star player and the board accepted an offer for £2.8 Million as it was too good to turn down. This happened again when Real Betis offered £1.8 Million for my new centre midfielder. Fortunately the transfer window closed before anyone could be sold. Will need to upgrade the facilities again and a number of players have been linked with moves away, hopefully we can keep them but you never know with this board. The Crystal Palace job may come available and I may apply.

Board Expectation – Safe Mid Table

Championship – 5th - Lost in playoff final

League Cup – 2nd Round

FA Cup – 4th Round

Transfers In - 19 players for £375K

Transfers Out - 26 players for £6.5M

Top Goalscorer – Stuart Abel (20)

Fans Player of the year – Martin Wright

table.jpg

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 16 Review

Another season in which we over achieved. Again the target was a respectable position and again we finished 5th, albeit with less points, which meant the playoffs. This time we lost in the semi final against Fulham drawing the first leg 1-1 only to have one of my centre backs sent off when it was 1-1 in the second leg which ultimately ended 2-1 to Fulham.

Once again I kept with the same squad as the season before and this paid dividends, although I did bring in a couple of new faces. A couple of players didn't want to renew contracts so were moved on and squad harmony was a massive problem this season with a number of players either becoming unhappy with the lack of first team action or they wanted to move to a bigger club. The board have approved the upgrade of both the training facilities and youth facilities. Resolving the squad harmony problem is my main objective and this will mean a few players departing. Will also have a top striker on my radar.

Board Expectation – Achieve Respectable Position

Championship – 5th - Lost in playoff semi final

League Cup – 4th Round

FA Cup – 4th Round

Transfers In - 14 players for £975K

Transfers Out - 17 players for £7.25M

Top Goalscorer – Tom Laird (11)

Fans Player of the year – Paul Collins

table2324.jpg

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 17 Review

We started slowly this year but eventually settled down and fully deserved our place in the playoffs. Won 6-5 over 2 legs against Crystal Palace only to lose 1-0 to Leeds, a dubious penalty our downfall.

Moved a number of players on to try and resolve the squad harmony and achieved this to a point although I have realised that a squad of around 22 is big enough for this division. Reaching the Quarter Final of the league cup was a major achievement and we were unlucky to lose 2-3 to Liverpool. We lost 2-0 to Leeds in the FA Cup 3rd Round. The board have approved another facilities upgrade.

Board Expectation – Top Half Finish

Championship – 5th - Lost in playoff final

League Cup – Quarter Final

FA Cup – 3rd Round

Transfers In - 24 players for £3.6M

Transfers Out - 47 players for £9M

Top Goalscorer – Shaun Buckingham (13)

Fans Player of the year – Paul Collins

table2425.jpg

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 18 Review

Again we started slowly this year but eventually settled down and fully deserved our place at the top of the table. Moved on 39 players due to having a big squad, some wanted to leave and others not so much but had a squad of 22 in mind and sold anyone who wasn't happy being fringe to that. Shaun Buckingham repaid my faith in him and he ended up breaking the scoring record. I won the Manager of the Year award, the board announced a stadium expansion of 5700 seats and the upgrade to the youth and training facilities was approved.

Reached the Semi Final of the FA Cup but lost out 4-2 to Sunderland. We also reached the 4th round of the league cup.

Blackburn also offered me the chance to take over the role at Ewood Park, but as they have been relegated from the Premier League I will probably respectfully decline. it took 6 seasons to get out of this division so feel I have deserved my shot at managing in the Premier League.

I think I now have a decent squad size, I will be adding one or two players in key areas for next season depending on the transfer budget available.

Board Expectation – Play Off Place

Championship – 1st

League Cup – 4th Round

FA Cup – Semi Final

Transfers In - 10 players for £2.4M

Transfers Out - 39 players for £6.75M

Top Goalscorer – Shaun Buckingham (27) - Coca Cola Championship Top Scorer

Fans Player of the year – Shaun Buckingham

table2526.jpg

Peterborough United

peterboro.jpg

Season 19 Review

A strange season, but ultimately it was our inability to keep clean sheets that had us fighting to stay up until the last day of the season.

We didn't match last seasons cup achievements getting to the third round of both the league cup and the fa cup.

I was linked with a couple of jobs although Reading were the only team to offer me role, sadly it was after they were relegated. I opted to stay with Peterborough. On a positive note, I took the England U20 role and my record so far stands at Played 3 Won 3, scoring 13 and conceding 0.

I still believe I need to strengthen in a couple of areas having seen Manchester United steal my brightest prospects.

Board Expectation – Fight Bravely against relegation

Premier Division – 17th

League Cup – 3rd Round

FA Cup – 3rd Round

Transfers In - 26 players for £17.5M

Transfers Out - 27 players for £27M

Top Goalscorer – Shaun Buckingham (15)

Fans Player of the year – Shaun Buckingham

table2026-2027.jpg

Wow! You've certainly been around the block and have already completed 19 seasons! :eek: Just a few things...some of your screen shots don't match your write ups i.e. Season 1 and 2's reviews have the same table and a few reviews don't have the right table to correspond with your summary. Other than that though, some up's and down's...but I suppose that's football! :D

Archived