Long Range Shots and Last Minute Goals and Inconsistency

I hate those who complain complain complain, Both on the Fifa forums and the FM ones.

But I'm gonna have a crack at it now.

Last Min:

In my last 6 games (all consecutive) I've had 3 points until the 85th minute. It's the same no matter what team I am and what tactic I play. Anyone else feel like they concede a helluva lot in the last 10mins of a game no matter what?

Long shots:

Also, I just played Bolton vs Arsenal. 3-2 loss. Fabregas 30 yards and a 35 yard first time volley. Van Persie 35 yards... The goals looked great and everything, but what's the point in fighting away just to see 3 goals that you'd be lucky to see in the same season never mind the same match (of course the van persie one came in the 93rd minute-last min goals)

And why is it when i had Deco in my bolton team, He took 3-4 long shots per HALF, 8 long shots per game, and never once even got one on target! but then Muamba (probably the worst long range shooter in life!, had 2 shots in one game, both on target, and 1 went in)

Inconsistency:

In the first 6 games of the season I conceded 2 goals as Bolton. found myself 2nd in the table. But ofc to balance things out for realism I get bs long range and last min goals galore against me, and have conceded 11 goals in 5 games.

Conclusion:

This is the first football manager in which i have actually sat back and thought, ahh they'll score near the end so what's the point.

Main point:

This is the first FM that whilst playing I have actually felt like I'm trying to beat the match engine as opposed to beating the opposition

The only real annoying thing I find to be happening a lot is 1st minute or first chance goals. Either my team or the other kicks off and pops it in right at the wistle. Maybe I just notice it more tho as it always frustrates me a great deal. All that work on solid tactics and in 30 seconds I am behind, luckily I also turn it around later most of the time.

In the first 6 games of the season I conceded 2 goals as Bolton. found myself 2nd in the table.

Conclusion:

This is the first football manager in which i have actually sat back and thought, ahh they'll score near the end so what's the point.

Main point:

This is the first FM that whilst playing I have actually felt like I'm trying to beat the match engine as opposed to beating the opposition

So after 6 games you're second with Bolton, only conceding 2 goals?

You're doing a pretty good job at beatng the ME then?

btw: for you consolation ; this was the reaction of Gary Megson after Bolton lost 2-3 to Arsenal in 2008:

"I don't feel unlucky. Angry isn't the right word because we are all angry with ourselves. "That result today was a result which came from committing suicide.

"We just fell apart from 64 minutes. We gifted them the first goal, and the second goal was poor. And then we started to panic a little bit."

Seems similar to yours :D

lol thanks for that but it wasn't poor defending or mistakes, it was 3 long range super goals, 2 of which came in the first half, was 2-2 until 93rd min lol.

tbh i love the match engine in terms of football that gets played, very believable, but my games all seem predictable in terms of last minute goals and long rangers. i'll stick at it though no doubt

lol thanks for that but it wasn't poor defending or mistakes, it was 3 long range super goals, 2 of which came in the first half, was 2-2 until 93rd min lol.

tbh i love the match engine in terms of football that gets played, very believable, but my games all seem predictable in terms of last minute goals and long rangers. i'll stick at it though no doubt

In 2008 Bolton lost from Arsenal due to:

a fantastic volley on a corner (Fabregas I think)

a penalty

an owngoal in the 90th minute

How's that for ME interference....

:)

I always conceed goals within the first 5 minutes of the game regardless of opposition.

Yes I also experience stupid amounts of inconsistencies.

World beaters for 3-4 games, then draw away to a mid table side, morale drops and I go on to lose 5-0 at home to the team coming last.

SI have done something fundamentally wrong with FM that is never getting ironed out.

When the game was still Champ Man, I honestly think that stupid comes backs were a thing of the past, and any old guy could make a winning formation and keep a happy squad.

I agree, the difficulty had to go up, as previous versions were always easy, but amazingly enough I have never won a league title with any FM in over 15 seasons with various clubs.

I may be a crappy manager, but most of the time, I lost to idiotic performances, well out of my control.

I just wanted to add.

If you are a poor manager, follow the George Costanza theory.

If you are bad at something, do what you usually do, then suddenly at the last moment do the opposite.

If your original decision is always wrong, then inadverantly the opposite should be the right decision.

I have been doing that lately, surging my Marseille to 1st place.

Main point:

People say this every year. Luckly you haven't pulled out the ol': "I'm going back to FM [this year -1] because it was so much better!"

The issue is the human memory in most cases and not that there are too many. If you are really concerned, take a large sample of matches and classify the goals. Then compare this large sample (think, a whole season!) and compare the results to that of a whole real season of the same league and compare. If the results are entirely different then you can go on about this.

So compare the time and types of goals.

lol just played a game. 2-1 until the 92nd minute Geovanni. bolton 2 - 2 hull.

at the end of the season i will tally up the goals scored on me after the 85th min and how many of them stopped me from getting 3 points. feels like whenever i begin to over achieve these last minute goals keep me midtable

lol just played a game. 2-1 until the 92nd minute Geovanni. bolton 2 - 2 hull.

at the end of the season i will tally up the goals scored on me after the 85th min and how many of them stopped me from getting 3 points. feels like whenever i begin to over achieve these last minute goals keep me midtable

Before you start doing some time consuming statistical analysis:

You do realise that most real life goals are scored in the final minutes of a match, don't you?

most goals are not scored in the last 5 mins of a match

but the last 5 mins of a match sees more goals than any other 5 minute spell in a match.

e.g. 87-92nd minutes may see more goals than 65th-70th min, but the 87-92nd mins do not see 'most' football goals when compared to 0-87th min.

hard to explain but ya shud click sometime lol

* Bolton have only 'won' one second half this season - against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

^^ shooting myself in the foot, but that's from football365.com. lol.

thing is, im talking last 5mins goals, at least every other game. i'm gonna sit back and put it down to my own errors, the point of the thread wasn't to scream, it was to see if others were having the same issues, if not then i can put it down to my errors

* The Trotters have not kept a clean sheet this season

I kept 4 in my first 6 games, so don't claim the game is mimicking real life and that's the reason for my last min goals of late.

The very early and very late goals thing happens far to often and I'm sure the next patch will reduce this.

Yes, it happens in real life, but in FM 10 it surely needs tweaking to be once every few games, rather than NOT happen once every few games as is the case at the moment. Away against a strong team, it seems you concede within three or four minutes (30 seconds is the quickest I've had) whatever your tactics in maybe 60% of such games. Taking a real-life example, plenty of clubs go to Chelsea these days to shut up shop. Maybe once in a while the defensive team will fail dismally and concede with Chelsea's opening move - but not 60% of the time. Most of the time Chelsea will work hard and eventually break them down, with a draw or an upset probably occurring about the same number of times as a third-minute early goal for Chelsea.

Similar things can be said for the 85th-minute-plus goals although at least then a computer change of tactic is usually responsible.

So yes, needs fixing.

Archived