"Mark Available for Reserve Squad" makes any sense for Italian clubs?

Just started a new save at Pescara (2012 when they promoted to Seria B), as I expeted, there is no reserve league for us.

What make me mad is when I open a backup player's profile, and wanna let him play some reserve / youth matches, the options are still "Available for Reserve Squad" & "Available for Reserve Squad Until Match Fit".

Will my players gain match fitness in the reserve squad when there is no reserve league?

Isn't it better to add something like "Available for U20 Squad" or "Available for U20 Squad Until Match Fit" ?

How do Italian clubs maintain backup players' match fiitness IRL?

• 3 months later...
Could somebody please tell me where "Mark Available for Reserve Squad" button is?

I've looked for 15 minutes, researched on the internet for 15 minutes.. but no avail... please help! (FM 2010)

Right-click on a player's name. Highlight "squad" in the pop-up menu and you will see it as one of the available options.

It's indeed pretty useless in Italy, only in the pre-season there are some reserve matches :(

I'm used to managing without letting players degenerate outside match squad, but it would be handy to keep them in shape. You really have to loan out the players aged 20-22 you won't be using yet. That's pretty hard sometimes as they only agree with big clubs and risk not playing there.

I think you can allow a couple or a few players that are over 21 or w/e the Under Squad is in italy to play in the U21 league. But since you can only allow 2-3 per match it should be like the backup GK and 4th striker. Otherwise loan out unused youth. It really is a pain because some players can keep being tutored into their 20s and not get first team football. So I tend to have a small squad with lots of youth in Italy. It really hurts players like Sebstian Giovinco and others.

I wonder why we still have a Reserve Team for Italian clubs to begin with...

There is no Reserve league because there is no such thing as a Reserve team.. It's either First Squad or Youth Team... The third way is a loan/co-ownership

I think you can allow a couple or a few players that are over 21 or w/e the Under Squad is in italy to play in the U21 league. But since you can only allow 2-3 per match it should be like the backup GK and 4th striker. Otherwise loan out unused youth. It really is a pain because some players can keep being tutored into their 20s and not get first team football. So I tend to have a small squad with lots of youth in Italy. It really hurts players like Sebstian Giovinco and others.

It's U20 in Italy, so that causes a bit of frustration.

And Giovinco is not an issue, he played (and still does after 7 season) a pretty big role in my squad :) But I know what you mean. I spend a lot of time scouting teams where I send my younger players on loan, and sell them when they really won't get a place in my match squad. I kinda like this kind of managing, but it's easier with a reserve league as you can actually keep backups at your team in shape. Old backup players are a big nono in Italy, and that's not a bad thing if you ask me, but you can get screwed if you have a lot of injuries. And the second goalie is the biggest problem, most decent are older than 20, but you can't send them on loan as you will be in serious trouble if your main goalie gets a serious injury.

But the point is, again, a lack of realism [due to the British-centrism of the game's foundation?}.

Italian clubs don't have a Reserve Team, so arranging friendlies or tours for a non-existing Reserve Team is plain "wrong".

You know, how a resolve this priblem? Manually every week send players ti the U-20, to regain fitness of back-up peopla, it`s so boring in few years...

Please "SI" make button "MOVE TO U-20" !!!

BTW in Spain problem is too, how can 25 remain fit, if they didn`t play week in week out?

It`s a big problem, i only enjoy playing in England :(

I think it's only an issue in Spain if you don't have the third Spanish tier (where most teams "reserve" teams play) loaded; if you do, then they play matches. The problem in Spain is that you can't set up friendlies for your reserves, making the whole thing pretty useless; I've never put a worthwhile player into my Valencia reserve squad. They either go out on loan or get sold off.

But the point is, again, a lack of realism [due to the British-centrism of the game's foundation?}.

Italian clubs don't have a Reserve Team, so arranging friendlies or tours for a non-existing Reserve Team is plain "wrong".

The Italian reserve teams are in the game as somewhere to dump your players, without a reserve team the game would dump all the players to old for your youth team into your first team.

The Italian reserve teams are in the game as somewhere to dump your players, without a reserve team the game would dump all the players to old for your youth team into your first team.

This, basically. It stops players who are out on loan or co-ownership clogging up your first team squad:)

• 2 weeks later...

Then this sound like a decent idea to kepp the reserve squad for Italian clubs.

Meanwhile, I think a button like "Make available for U20 matched" should be added, that's the way backup players gain fitness IRL.

Archived