Basic questions from a Football Manager newbie

OK so I have a bunch of questions regarding FM2010. I have never really gotten into the FM series, I kinda dropped out of the whole game 4/5 years ago after being a avid fan of Champ Man and basically not having the time due to work/marriage/wife aggro/kids etc.

So my apologies if these are silly questions but I have to start somewhere.

I have started a game with Sheffield Wednesday, simply because they had a nice stadium and I guessed they wouldn't have much pressure on them and I can learn the game with them.

I'd like to do the old classic of building for the future, buying potential, build them up and sell them on for silly money to eventually improve the team and the club as a whole.

So with this in mind I thought I would look at the staff and how they help improve players, what I need from them etc.

1. How many coaches do I need?

2. Do I need a specific coach for each training category, for example 1 coach with the highest attacking value possible and have him just do the attacking training.

3. Is it worth having more than 1 physio? If I have 3 physios does it make sense to get rid of the ones with rubbish physio stat and just keep 1 with a high physio stat?

4. What exactly is the 'mental coaching' attribute used for?

5. What should I look for in terms of a Assistant manager? I am not exactly sure how he differs from a scout/coach. I know he recommends players/tactics, so would good scouting/tactic stats make sense here?

Any help or advice anyone can give would be great, just little simply nuggets that every new player should know etc.

1. depends primarily on budget. as sheffwed you could get away with 4-5 coaches, including your assman. training isn't really as big of a deal as some think, and with the auto-assign feature it's much easier to assign coaching roles. just look for each area having at least 3 stars.

2. no, it's actually more beneficial to have a coach good at 2 or 3 areas with high determination and motivating stats. a coach with mediocre ability but high motivation is better than a coach with high ability and mediocre motivation. motivating coaches will always get the best out of their players.

3. depends on squad size, go with at least 2, maybe 3. i usually go with 3.

4. this, i believe ups players mental attributes. this falls under all other categories, so things like "off the ball" and "bravery" etc. may improve.

5. depends on what you use him for. if he picks your team go with tactical knowledge, man management, judging player ability. if you use him for team talks, go with motivating and man management. if you use him for coaching, go with coaching attributes.

Well you will encounter many different advises to your questions.

But mine are:

1 - I usually get one coach to specific training, plus an ass. manager and if isn't in charge of a specific training he will oversee all trainings.

2 - Yes, I think so, but there was a small guide what kind of stats is best of coaches for the specific training. I usually get rid of rubbish coaches.

3 - The phisio depends on their phisio stat. If they have high number I let them be in my team no matter number that is in at beginning and intend to keep that number. Meaning that if one retires I hire another.

4 - The mental coaching is part of that guide I talked about. I not exactly 100% sure but if you want a coach for Ball control you need technique and Mental attributes higher then 15. Like I said i'm not exactly sure about it. Maybe the Moderators can help you out.

5 - I personally I try to find a coach that has higher motivating (because he handles team talks) and man management. That is the basic, then if the search find more then one I will find someone with some stats with high number for example the scout stats (Judging player ability and the other one next to it), determination and man handling is among the few I look for.

Hope that helps!

Archived