Do Feeder Clubs Destroy Youth Players?

Ok, a little background info on this:

I'm pretty proud of my training set up managing a level 7 club in England.

3.5 -5 stars for all elements of training...

In comes my first hot prospect...

2009: I have a good intake of youth players. Youth Player A (16yrs old) is especially promising. I create a training schedule just for him.

2010: Youth Player A's stats (mainly technique) continue to improve at a good pace. Performs well in Under18 squad.

2011: Player A (now 18yrs old) graduates from U18 squad and goes to reserves. There's no way I can play him in the first team as he's not good enough.

Do I:

a) Keep him in the reserve squad, knowing he's getting fantastic training from my coaches + good match experience (albeit at a non-competitive level)

b) Send him out on loan to a much lower league team (ie a level 8, 9 or 10 UK team), so he gets competitive games under his belt.

I have problems with option b) because I know if I send him off to a lower league club, the level of training + facilities there will be dire.

So essentially, what's best course of action for a situation like this?

In my reserve team he's getting a better level of training at my club albeit playing non competitive games to keep him fit, versus playing at a much lower level with poor coaches + facilities BUT he'll be involved in competitive matches...

Thoughts?

I would probably keep him in the reserves, if your coaches are that good. Players develop pretty quick at that age as far as I know, and even Reserve matches would be better combined with your coaches in my opinion. Giving him a game in the first team now and again wouldn't hurt either, maybe including him on the subs bench to bring him on a little more regularly too? But that one is up to you.

Personal opinion: Keep him at your club.

But maybe I'm wrong :p

I'm Blue Square South and He's looking to go on loan in the Leicestershire Senior Premier League (level 11)...
Is that league even able to be activated in game? I've found that in previous FM versions, sending someone to a feeder in an inactive league is the kiss of death.

dont send him to an inactive league for sure. Even then its better to keep him in your reserve unless you can loan him to a decent squad. You can probably get him enough appearances in your senior side to fulfill the competitiveness requirement. loaning players out never seems to work for me.

It will hurt him not to send him out and have a look at how he is getting on via the scouts and his stats. If he looks to not be playing well or improving, bring him straight back. First team football will help him develop faster and if you can't give it to him a loan is a great way to get it.

Ask for a feeder club and go through each team - if you think your player is playing where their team don't have enough players or if you think he's miles better then send him there. It would also help to look at the squad's personality because he will struggle to pull out good performances if he feels nervous around his team mates.

If he that's good at 19 I'd say get him some first team football. I've seen MASSIVE jumps even at level 8 or below clubs with rubbish training facilities. Some of my youth gained at most 1 stat a year but after exposing them to close to 20 first team games (about half as a sub) they gained 3-4 in their focussed stats.

How did you manage to set up 3-3,5 stars training ratings? I play with a Conference National side and I started with 4 coaches. They're not very capable but if I sacked them, I would be only allowed to sign 2 coaches (the board advises me not to have more). So I kept all my original coaches because even they're not very effective, at least they're much in number.

Archived