Always backup your save!

The game just crashed for me as I was saving. I had brought AFC Telford to the coca cola championship after back to back promotions. I was second in the leauge after 12 games.

All gone. Not a single backup save anywhere.

Im obviously gutted. All the time and effort (this was my annual no-cheat-whatsoever-save) all gone to waste.

So for those of you who aren't using backup saves and/or rolling 3 files saves etc, you should start. I never had a crash before, but when it did happen...

So sorry, Carradona. My condolences.

I'd echo your advice, though: there is simply no good reason not to go with a "Rolling Auto-Save" approach. FM save games take up a miniscule fraction of your hard drive space - and it is so gutting to lose a save.

I didn't use auto-save cause my laptop is bit outdated and I tend to alt-tab a lot....

I manually saved before every match though -- a custom that started in the shameful (or not) S/L years -- but then I've learnt to accept the results... In fm2009 I used to do manual save in 2 rolling saves (eg. one match save in 1.fm, next match save in 2.fm) because sometimes my laptop crashes when saving, which would damage the file. :(

Thankfully fm2010 seems to have a backup function when saving -- the game would first copy the original file to "xxx(back up).fm", then start saving the new file. I haven't had any crashes when saving lately, but that's no doubt a marvellous feature to have. Thank you SI!

isnt there already a backup file so if it does crash you can carry on, its in the SI folder, have a look cause you should still be able to use your save with it

Yes! Ah I was too obsessed with my own laptop back there I forgot to highlight this to the OP.

A "Filename (Backup).fm" should be in the same folder as the savefile, although the op did say that there's no backup anywhere...

IT'S ALIVE! :D

I only tried the "load latest used save" or what's it called at the start menu, and it didn't work. So I took for granted that my save was doomed.

But after reading your tips, I found the backup by manually loading. Thank you so very much :D

Archived