European Champions Cup Query...

Playing FM2009 with 9.0.3

I am playing with FC Barcelona and I have been drawn with Shakhtar (Probably the strongest side within my group), Basel and Dinamo Moscow in Group C of the above mentioned competition.

Has it always been FM ways to assign "lower" level teams in the group stage of the European Champions Cup (Champions League)?

I know you should never under estimate a weaker opponent, as they can cause an upset on any given day.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, a point to the appropriate thread would be helpful :)

its not FM's way, teams get seeded and this is how they are drawn. If you won La Liga then you will be in the 1st seed along all the other teams that won the major leagues, then the 2nd seeded teams come in (teams that won lower rep leagues and 2nd in major leagues) and so on. This doesnt incluce the prvious winners, ie barca and inter in the same group this year

I didn't have any easy teams in the group stage of the Champions League with Man City in FM09. My first time I qualified I had Celtic, Juventus, and Galatasary. Not to mention the next round I got drawn against Real Madrid (some how managed to win 4-0 and the Bernabeu, lost 1-0 at home, but didn't care). Second season I had Shakhtar, Bordeaux, and AC Milan (managed to take second in the group).

Can't say it gives easy draws from self-experience, so I'm assuming you just got lucky.

If you want to talk about tough draws, you should have seen my FA Cup draw in my third season on FM09. Started with Tottenham, West Ham (my bogey team), Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, and Chelsea in the final. I made more trips to London than I do all season.

its not FM's way, teams get seeded and this is how they are drawn. If you won La Liga then you will be in the 1st seed along all the other teams that won the major leagues, then the 2nd seeded teams come in (teams that won lower rep leagues and 2nd in major leagues) and so on. This doesnt incluce the prvious winners, ie barca and inter in the same group this year

This is the right sort of idea, but I'm pretty sure the seeding is based on how well the team has done in Europe over the past five seasons. Which is why Inter are a lower seed than Barcelona this year.

At any rate it explains why the big teams seem to get 'easy' groups.

Archived