A bit of a dilemma

Hi guys, I'm stuck in a little bit of a rut with my game with Aberdeen, and I'd appreciate some advice on what I should do next.

I finished a strong third in the first season, losing only 4 of the last 31 games after 4 defeats from 7 at the start. My striker Lee Miller scored 24 league goals, missing out on the Golden Boot by virtue of playing one more game than Kris Boyd. The only signings I made were Samuel Kuffour and Djamel Belmadi on free transfers.

In 2010/11, we started off with 4 straight league wins, despite getting knocked out of the Europa League, and after 11 games we were in second place :) However, after that, everything went pear-shaped, and ended up with a measly 44 points, 14 less than the previous year, with 16 defeats. This was depsite signing Mikael Silvestre, who played very well throughout.

Anyway, on to 11/12, and it hasn't started very well. Despite a berth in the League Cup semi-finals, after 11 games we lie 9th in the table, with 3 victories, 1 draw and 7 defeats. I have sold a few first team players, but I've brought in ample cover, including a Brazilian youngster who's scored 8 goals already. The squad harmony has gone down from being extremely good at the start of the season, to below average, and every week it seems like a new player is unhappy with the harmony (or lack of it).

My problem is, that I'm feeling a little subdued with the team, and though the results are picking up slowly, I'm not sure whether to finish the season, or pursue some of the other jobs around (Hull need a new manager and they are near the bottom of the championship with a decent squad).

I'm leaning towards staying, at least until the end of the season, but does anyone think it'll be best to get out now and move on to something else?

I usually stay until the end of the season in the same situation, got burned in 05 by going to Villareal at christmas (who were performing poorly in La Liga with a good squad) after getting bored with Bayern 5 seasons in. I couldn't turn it around, due mainly I think morale problems, and players not wanting to be there any more. The club got relegated I got sacked save was finito. Remember there will always be a few juicy teams out there at the end of May/start of June.

You also might consider taking up International mangement part-time, a good run there might perk you up.

I'm having the same thing after 4 seasons with West Ham.

I just finished 3rd in the league last season...and so have champions league football for the first time.

However, I'm getting that feeling of losing interest, despite having a good solid team with a few stars.

Not sure whether to carry on with it and try and become a full-on club legend, or whether to pursue a new challenge elsewhere. Seems strange I know after just qualifying for Champs League and starting to really shape my team and make my mark in my career...but just getting itchy feet I guess.

However, OPs situation is different from mine...I'd say stay til the end of the season and then move. or as Brian said...try international management to go along with the rest of that season if theres a job available?

Sounds like your team is falling apart a bit...and although it would be a great challenge to continue, maybe it's best to move on? sounds like it's naturally leading that way anyway.

My advice would be to think very carefully about any decision regarding joining a new club. In my save I was managing Celtic and was going great domestically but was getting increasingly frustrated with our lack of progress in European competition, I had my head turned by a news item informing me of the managers post becoming available at Man City. I applied, got turned down and the board were on the verge of sacking me when I had a major stroke of luck. I happened to check the history screen of the manager to get the Man City job and he just happened to be managing Bayern Munich when he got the City job, He'd left Bayern in a very secure position (top of the league by ten points) and I immediately applied for the vacant post there (further enraging my Celtic employers). I got the Bayern job and won the league in my first (half) season in charge.

As a result I have decided that if I leave Bayern it will only be in the circumstances of a manager having resigned from a club to manage elsewhere or if one retires with his club in a strong position.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Well, it only took me three further games to be removed from my job. I was a little surprised to be sacked without warning, but things weren't going that well, so it wasn't absolutely gutting. I'd got the team playing a bit better, but being sacked was always going to be a likely outcome, especially after seven games without a victory.

So, I played through about a month unemployed, and applied for several jobs, including Sassuolo, Siena, Nottingham Forest, and Stockport County, however after several rejections, I was offered the job of taking over at the Pirelli Stadium as manager of Burton Albion.

Burton were at the time, mired in 21st place in the Blue Square Premier after 24 games, so I thought it was a good situation to come in and restore a bit of confidence in myself.

It started off well, with three games unbeaten, including a comfortable 2-0 win against Histon, who were flying high in second position. I've since lost a couple, but I brought in a couple of players, including veteran winger Derek Young, who I had at Aberdeen before, ironically I released him at the end of the previous season :D

The problem now is that the club is in financial trouble. I've got a lot of crappy youth players who won't amount to anything. What do I do with them? Do I release them straight away, or can I do it in a way that will save the club money?

Archived