Anyone made a profit

Has anyone managed a club that actually makes money?

I have played games with Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal but it seems that every month all these clubs make a substantial loss of income. I am very good at keeping the squad wage budget down but the clubs just seem to loose so much money.

I know that IRL clubs like Everton don't have massive incomes due to all sorts of factors, but surely they don't loose between 2M and 9M every month. As for Arsenal they are club that will surely make a profit most months, even with their debts.

Surely this area of the game needs some work on it.

Its not the making profit part thats the issue, its the board members giving high transfer budgets and wage expenditures that causes the red colored books. At Newcastle in season 2 and 3 I was given in excess of 45mill as transfer budget and 1.5mill as wage budget. The club didnt even have that kind of money and kept going in red, not counting the 130mill gift loan.

I think the board needs to be fixed, the money will sort out on its own.

Its not the making profit part thats the issue, its the board members giving high transfer budgets and wage expenditures that causes the red colored books. At Newcastle in season 2 and 3 I was given in excess of 45mill as transfer budget and 1.5mill as wage budget. The club didnt even have that kind of money and kept going in red, not counting the 130mill gift loan.

I think the board needs to be fixed, the money will sort out on its own.

This doesn't happen at every club though. We've seen clubs spend money they don't have in the past, it does happen in football.

I got promoted with Portsmouth into the PL and was only given 13m to spend and my wage budget barely increased. I think it just comes down to the chairmans personality.

Actually i was quite surprised after finishing 5th in the Pernambucano state championship and getting 350.000 euros prize money :D:D:D

So depends on your league, your wage budget control and chairman willingness to inject money if your a small club, Big clubs have champions league, good sponsorship, tv money.

Yes, but in different circumstances to yourself.

Playing as Lewes in the Blue Square South, an FA Trophy final appearance (a trip to Wembley + TV coverage) covered my wage bill (175k) for the entire season with £75K left over to play with. The following season a third round FA Cup draw against Burnley saw the TV cameras come to the Dripping Pan which was equally beneficial (we lost 2-0 but everyone was a winner).

Different world to the Premier League but proof that financial prudence (coupled with a fair bit of luck in the Cup!) can be effective.

I've managed it last season (4th in game, and 2nd season in the premiership) but that was partly due to a stadium expansion (albeit one that didn't come into effect until late autumn and which had to compensate for reduced capacity until then) and the fact that monthly income (including tv money apparently) has risen much quicker then the wage budget (at least for now). However usually like most people its a monthly loss which I know will be easily compensated by the money at the end.

I'm managing Everton. We're losing around £1-2m per month. I've had a lot of trouble selling players. No-one is interested in them. So I'm letting £50,000 a week Louis Saha go at the end of the season, as his contract expires. We've currently got £950,000 in the bank, and less than 10 games to go in all competitions. We've got the Euro Cup semi-final coming up, so hopefully we'll take some decent money from that.

The biggest problem for me is selling players. I've had no offers to buy any player over £1m this season.

I have played games with Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal but it seems that every month all these clubs make a substantial loss of income. I am very good at keeping the squad wage budget down but the clubs just seem to lose so much money.

As others have said a club's income isn't even so month to month is irrelevant. At the beginning of the year you get season ticket money then at the end, hopefully!, prize money so you need to look at the overall figures.

From my experience, it really depends on the chairman personality - some of them will take more risks = give you more money and bigger wage budgets, others will be much more conservative and will limit the funds available for transfers and wages

It's quite a realistic part of the game. If you wanna make money, ignore the board and concentrate on finances yourself. Use scouts to sign the cheap players, train em up and sell em on.

Remember Arsene Wenger doesn't rely on a youth academy to produce good players, he runs the youth academy and signs good value players for it.

It's all in your hands.

During my West Ham game, I've been losing 2-3mil every month. However, like others have said, I make this up at the end of the season due to TV money and prize money.

I came 15th first season, then 10th, then 9th and I was very tight with money. I got players on frees, getting rid of the players on high wages as much as possible.

4th season I've finished 3rd...thanks to champs league money and prize money for my league position, the club got a big injection of money. however, the board then decided to increase the stadium and also improve the training facilities.

Point is...certain clubs will run different ways. I've found West Ham to be veryyy realistic with money. Majorly in debt...but as soon as I got a big cash injection...spent it on facilities and gave me a bigger transfer budget.

Archived