Bogy teams and betes noires - share yours

You all know what I mean. That side lying in the relegation zone that, for some reason, play like world-beaters whenever you're in town. That striker who hasn't scored in twenty games who nevertheless bangs them in against your defense. That goalkeeper who is, quite frankly, crap, but at the sight of your strikers miraculously turns into the Great Wall of China.

For me, on my current save (I'm managing Napoli) it's Livorno in general and Francesco Tavano in particular. He just flat-footed my entire defense (internationals all, I may add) twice to score his first goals in over 700(!) minutes of play, and has scored against me the last four times I've played Livorno.

Who're yours?

Im playing as Club Brugge in Belgium & its mainly Leiva (i think thats there name) and Cercle Brugge.

Leiva beat me 4-0 & 3-1 in two games only 3 weeks apart (cup game) Even though they had no wins before me.

Blackburn & birmingham - has been pretty much the same for all the FM's too (only played the demo for 9 so can't remember the results but i'll happily hazard a guess!), luckily newcastle seem to be half the threat they usually are (I'm talking fm, they've been half a threat for years in real life ;) ) or else they'd have been added to the list too!!

Does anyone remember coventry from the old cm3 games - they must be my all time bogey team, ogrizovic (sp?) in goal as mr unbeatable, with whelan and huckerby up front scoring bucketloads...!!

On FM08, it was Aston Villa, Portsmouth, Bolton, Newcastle, and Man Utd if I was playing in England (or playing one in Europe). Even after a couple of seasons when Man Utd would always become a mid-table team at best, and I would be top of the league, reigning champions, playing well, and they would come over to my place and thump me 5-0 with Rooney or Ronaldo getting a hattrick.

Long list of bogey teams there, but that's how it was!

If I was playing in Italy, it used to be Napoli, and any team that happened to be in the relegation zone.

I've played Plymouth in the championship about 16 times so far on fm10 with the likes of QPR, Middlesbrough, Doncaster and Preston, yet they beat me every single time...oh they don't just beat me, they absolutly thump me, my worst one was when i was Middlesbrough, i was 5th, they were 23rd....at the riverside they beat me 6-1 :(

Dundee Utd, who finished 4th behind me in 09/10, 3rd in 10/11, and now in 11/12 they are challenging for 2nd place.

I think I've beaten them once in three years, if that.

St. Mirren are quite annoying as well :)

In my league the first 12 games outwith the old firm the only teams that took points off of me as Aberdeen was Dundee Utd and St. Mirren. I am at xmas now and only 3 points off second place.

When managing as Houston Dynamo, I always lose to Toronto FC but always beat LA Galaxy. After having awful form almost knock me out of contention for the playoffs, a win on the last day against LA got us in by the skin of our teeth, we got through to the final after beating Seattle and Salt Lake, we faced Toronto. We held them to 1-1 from the 12 minute to the 121st then they scored after my goal threw the ball to their striker.

When playing as the mighty Diamonds a certain bus stop near Cambridge called Histon beat us every time, whereas a certain Oxford based side bend over and take it, whenever they visit us or we visit them. 4-0 7-0 2-0 3-1

With Grasshoppers: Neuchâtel Xamax. I had problems with them in FIFA'08, FIFA'09, FM09, and FM10. It's completely inexplicable. I should beat them, but I don't, and I think it's in my head and I'm overthinking it.

That said, FC Basel and FC Zurich don't give me many problems at all...which is also kind of inexplicable as they're both better teams.

Wolverhampton in FM10 -- come off a 3-1 win over Arsenal, travel to Wolves and lose 2-1 just before CL match with Bayern Munich. Way to look ahead guys. For years my bogey team was Everton -- Tim Howard suddenly became Gigi Buffon and Tim Cahill would always pop in and drop 2 goals it seemed. They actually got into my head and I played 4-5-1 and counterattack (normally a 4-3-3 attacking side) at home and I was first in the league! It got to the point where I started to plan ahead for them to make sure players were rested, etc. This year I throttled them both times, so I think (hope) the Toffee nightmare is over for me. Newcastle have been a weird one for years. They either play magnificent against me or just get hammered. Either a tight match or a 6-0 match.

man city and Arsenal on my current save. city play some stupid 4-2-2-2 formation, and i havent gotten to grips with it yet, somehow. Seems to work very well for them, they dont concede many. Arsenal just have an unhappy knack of equalising/getting a winner in the dying minutes of games...

record vs man city > played 22 w 8 d 6 l 8 f 34 a 26

record vs arsenal > played 28 w 8 d 12 l 8 f 47 a 48

Dont have many problems with many other teams, really, at least none that spring to mind....

Archived