Is anyone else sick of FM10?

I am sick of the game now, I tell my players to tight mark and they stand off them, i say hard tackling and they don't tackle, I say short passing and they hoof it up the field, I say down the wings and they play down the middle, I tell my keeper short throw to my left back and he kicks it up to the opposition, I say no long shots and all they do is have long shots. What is the point of a tactics creator is they don't follow orders. I have my team on no creative freedom so they DO AS THEY ARE BLOODY TOLD!!!! They don't so I give them some freedom and they still don't do as they are told. My first season with Port Vale was great, they did as they were told and I walked League 2 by 15 points, get promoted, media prediction of 10th and i'm 21st because they won't follow instructions. This has happened to me and my mate for the last 4 years and in the end we stop playing because there is no point if your defence won't defend, you midfield never gets the ball cause the defence just kicks the ball the opposition defence, and your forwards when they do get to have a shot either sky it, hit it AT the keeper or keep hold of it too long and get tackled. I've read the forums, I've read the Tactical Theroem and I have pretty much given up, I can't do anything if my players don't do as I ask them.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/rant.

I've seen countless posts like this, and to be honest I'm bewildered by them. There were a few closing down bugs in FM09 which were fixed, and again, there are a few small errors this year with the match engine, but nowhere near the extent that you're describing.

I personally can see exactly how each of my tactical changes work in the game, and for me (with the new tactics creator) this has been the best game for visually seeing how they work.

I don't manage as low as Port Vale so I can't comment sufficiently on that level, but from my own experience I'm enjoying FM10 more than any other.

The thing is though; I'm managing Liverpool which would seem considerably easier in comparison to the OP's game. Even still, I find my players doing exactly as I tell them for the first time in many FM's.

I'll give a quick example...

It's getting toward November in my current save, but Fernando Torres has yet to score for me. It's frustrating the life out of me because a player of his calibre should be scoring for fun. 10 League games in and I notice something about my tactics:

I have Torres set as a 'complete forward', yet his creative freedom (for some reason - I might have forgotten to change it) is set VERY low (like 3 or 4). So just as we go to play Sunderland I change his creative freedom to 20 and..... he scores 4 goals.

Just a very basic example, but I've been noticing stuff like this all over the place in FM10 - I negate something and then when I act on it, I immediately notice a difference. I believe it's called "cause and effect" (or affect?). Something is not working - react - see the difference. That's why I'm loving FM10 so much these days; for the first time in years I can explicitly SEE the fruits of my labour.

Perhaps the reason your Port Vale players are not following your instructions is because they (being lower league players) lack the intelligence to do so properly? I'm not saying that that IS the case, I'm just throwing it out there as a thought because, like I said, I have (very) limited experience of managing so low.

There's definitely a sense in which defenders are not following instructions: they don't seem to be closing down and marking well and goals where the opposition feeds a long ball down to a striker who completely escapes from the D C s are not uncommon.

I start getting sick after this match.

I am managing the Newcastle. I faced Chelsea and played as big underdog so I set my tactics as 5-4-0-1, play narrow, and tried to get a boring draw. It worked and Chelsea just couldn't create a single chance inside the box. However, Lampard got his hat trick by scoring three 35+yards strikes. They AI cheated!!!

Small things do irritate me me. Yes the closing down and tackling needs to improve, but it's the repetetiveness of certain things that annoy. Like a takeover. One news item says "the takeover is close" next news item says "the takeover is in trouble", then the next one says "the takeover is close" again. Same two media items constantly for two months!!

Also the gulf between Home and Away Form is too great. How I can beat Everton 4-0, Sunderland 4-1 and Arsenal 2-2 and draw 2-2 to Man Utd at Home then lose away 3-1, 3-1, 3-0 in between baffles me!

• SI Staff

I'm loving it. First season managed Argentina and got the Oltrepo job in Serie D. Led them to promotion then quit due to lack of funds. Won the World Cup with Argentina and I've now got the task of getting Portsmouth back into the Premiership. YEAH!

I'm loving it. First season managed Argentina and got the Oltrepo job in Serie D. Led them to promotion then quit due to lack of funds. Won the World Cup with Argentina and I've now got the task of getting Portsmouth back into the Premiership. YEAH!

right. anyway back to the matter in hand...this game is poor.

It doesn't seem to matter what I tell my players to do they always do exactly the same thing. I've tried loads of tactics tried tweaking them, downloading tactics and creating tactics from scratch but the pattern in games is always the same. I always score first and they equalise straight away or they wait till 25 seconds after half time. Then I lose 3 or 4-1. This happens in 3 out of 5 games at the min.

The game just isn't fun anymore, it's too complicated. :-(

It doesn't seem to matter what I tell my players to do they always do exactly the same thing. I've tried loads of tactics tried tweaking them, downloading tactics and creating tactics from scratch but the pattern in games is always the same. I always score first and they equalise straight away or they wait till 25 seconds after half time. Then I lose 3 or 4-1. This happens in 3 out of 5 games at the min.

you're not the only one who thinks this. the only problem is you (and i) will both be shot down in flames now for this.

Problem is I don't like to have a go at the game cos I love FM but it's like everything in the match engine is over done. Like all teams are vulnerable when they've just scored. They certainly are in this version of FM as 30 games out of 46 in the season one team scores and the other instantly equalises. Then theres the you're 2 nill up at half time so you've got absolutely no chance of winning. Which has just happened to me again (Hartlepool 2 up, Bournemouth score in 68, 70 and 80th minutes and no tactical changes could stop it, comebacks are coded to happen too often). These things just happen far to many times to make the game realistic.

I am annoyed by certain well documented bugs but over all it is for me the best FM yet, however the first pen shoot out where the team scoring least pens wins will be the last time I play the game!. Am on Patch 10.1, I hope & pray this will never be an issue but I fear it may from what I have read. :-(

No ,i am not sick of FM10 ,but in all honesty ,i am sick of people ranting on these board's about how broken the game is ,when truthfully ,there just not very good at it.

I have no issue's with my player's not doing what there told ,most of the time. Do people think there supposed to do thing's correctly all the time? It doesnt happen in real life and it it shouldnt happen in a game trying to claim realism. I can safely say that the majority of my player's do what i tell them more than any other fm/cm game.

As for defending ,it could do with some tweaking ,but is it broke? short awnser ,no. I had some issue's with it at the start of the game ,but i can safely say that i am now over it. I just dont get why people are whinging all the time ,what are you playing? it cant be the same game as i am playing ,as i have none of the problem's stated ,on a regular basis. Sure ,thing's go wrong sometime's ,but that's life as a FM.

The main problem is with people who aren't successful at this game is not that players aren't doing as they are told or instruction, but a problem that the overall structure i.e team shape and team instructions is not creating a succesful outcome.

Players are not always going to do as instructed as though they're robots, so when you see a key highlight your not always goint to see a player religiously doing as you've instructed him.

Individual instructions are only an ecouragement for a player to do a certain thing. If you have a player on long shots rarely it doesn't mean they'll never shoot for example.

I wouldn't obsess with seeing players doing exactly as they're told. Just start with a basic standard formation using the wizard and just experiment with different team instructions i.e attacking or balanced and also the team shape until you get better performances.

Unofrtunately it just seems to have exactly the same issues that were with FM09 on it's first patch.

- Players shooting from distance even when they are told not to and clearly have passing options

- AI scoring a ridiculous amount of long goals if you don't play a DM, even players with poor long shot ratings

- Fullbacks still next to useless defensively, combining that with defenders inability to win aerial balls = excessive goals from crosses

- Defenders not reacting to punts forward, resulting in far too many through balls

A shame really, as there are some fabulous aspects of FM10, but these issues seem to come up every release

I played as Real Madrid in my first season and was pretty much winning every game. Won the league, started my 2nd season and i cant win to save my life now. I seem to be drawing every game, with my team winning up to the last 10 minutes of the game where they then always equalise. Havent changed my tacts or players so not really sure whats causing it. Still enjoying the game non the less.

I'm still can't switch my game off. About to get sacked shortly by Hartlepool though. Won three straight but now haven't won in 4 games. Do i stick with this tactic that won me a few games or change again? That is the question. The team are playing well until they score then they go and have a sarnie whilst the opposition score 3.

Maybe it's you that are making it too complicated; ;)

it's better (from my experience) to stick with 1 tactic and let the team settle for at least 15 matches before deciding the tactic is rubbish.

If you start changing your tactics as often as you are describing, it's not really a surprise that you are doing so bad with the game.

I've had a 4-5-1 from the start of the season and changed it to a 4-4-2 after 17 matches. (position 18th in the league). Now i'm around 30 matches into the season and I'm sitting 9th. Which is perfect for me and my team(playing as Gloucester in BSN). Now started preparing the second season by going through my shortlist and trying to find some cheap players...Love this game!!

Just give it some time: this is not a game for impatient players :D

I did. Shame there were no tactics that would work with them but i'm sure i'll find another team where some players will know how to play football.

That was always going to be difficult though. When I got them relegated the whole team left after contracts expired and left me with 3 first team players. I thought getting a whole new team to 13th in the league was an achievement.

I will repeat what I said in another post about a week ago. This is supposed to be a polished version of FM09 isn't it????

How on earth can there be problems with the match engine etc when they have had 6 attempts to sort it? Yet there still is......gotta question some of the coders here, do they have a clue what they are doing lol? ;) On a serious note it is annoying that these problems aren't solved after 6 attempts, especially as whenever I go on to FM07 the match engine is amazingly smooth, yes it has tiny glitches but it plays well!

I must admit I am enjoying FM10 though, it is the first release since 07 I have played, I bought 08 and 09 but they were absolute turds so couldn't leave FM07. However since buying FM10 I haven't gone back to 07 so they must be doing something right. The ME is nowhere near as good as 07 though still.

I can't believe how many times players just stand around when the ball is about 2 foot from them! they watch it roll past until the opposition sweeps away with it and then they react and start to play catch up!

The game does need tweaking with regards to the defending and closing down, but this hardly makes the game unplayable and rubbish.

This game is superb and fun to play and is miles better than fm09 so even though i agree with the points about the tweaks needed the rest i disagree with.

Do like I did it in my short time with FM10 ( unfortunately it has crashed my MacBOOK) - play 2D Classic, but only view the goals - no highlights or the entire game. Use split view and watch match stats and your own player ratings - and let the text run as almost as fast as it can. Almost like the old way of playing FM - its much more fun.

I hope I haven't given the impression that I think the games poo cos my opinion is quite the opposite. Yeh ok, the "i score, you score" and the constant comebacks are a bit annoying but I just get on with it.

I played for 10 straight hours yesterday and wasted my final day off from work, lol.

Started out at Sheff Wed. Had a poor start and was 17th after 12 games. Tweaked tactics a little and had a good season finishing 11th.

2nd Season was top till christmas then tactic stopped working and finished 11th again.

3rd season was 17th and under pressure at christmas so resigned. Took over Tranmere and won about 3 games and took them from 15th to 23rd and relegated. Couldn't stabalise, was 18th and got sacked at christmas.

Took over 23rd placed Hartlepool and won about 5 games and got relegated in March.

Couldn't stabalise and got sacked at christmas while 14th ish.

Exciting game so far.

I am a huge fan of FM, but as I said in the opening post, its not that my team on occasion don't follow orders, they NEVER follow orders, if i've said SHORT passing, that means look for the nearest open man, yet my full backs can be in acres of space, my winger is 10 yards from him in ALOT of space, so he is the obvious pass, so what does my full back do....whacks it upfield to my forwards who lose out to the defenders! I've watched it in full 90mins and that is all they do. I've used 2D, 3D, makes no difference. It is true that the game is never right until the 3rd patch but even then its still full of bugs, every bug they fix creates a new bug. I think SI should not release a new game this year and instead spend 2 years fixing the ME so that it works. FM is a great game, but its not finished yet, as is the case every year. I have noticed that most people on here who say the game is easy tend to be Man U, Liverpool, Madrid, Chelsea etc. For once be a rubbish team with no money in the conference doomed for relegation, then say its easy.

I absolutely cannot stand long shots. So unrealistic it's not even funny. The number of times I concede a goal that was from 25+ yards is a JOKE. To make matters worse it doesn't even itself out. I reckon I have scored maybe 2 long shots in my current save (December 2009) but have conceded at least 3-4 times that many.

Wow, Nicksy. You aren't very good at this are you :p hehe

Anyway.. I've made my complaints on silly tactical executions all over the place... ignoring the ball and flow of play being the worst of the bunch. I do find that I concede a ton of goals from crosses though. Apparently my defenders are incapable of stopping crosses without giving a corner (which results in a goal) or of heading away (without giving up a penalty). It's quite irritating :p

What I think has happened is that SI have got in the same mindset that EA did with FIFA, putting in meaningless, pointless features like press conferences, pitch sizes, editors for your own leagues, just because of a lack of competition and because no matter what people will always buy FM, FIFA turned to pot as Pro Evo shot on and became the best footie sim ever. EA learned their lesson and started focusing the core gameplay just as Konami rested on their laurels thinking FIFA didn't stand a chance, FIFA turned brilliant as Pro Evo turned rubbish, SI need to stop looking at new features, we don't need press conferences, we don't need our own leagues or a 3D engine, we need the ability to talk to our players, a decent transfer system and our players to follow our instructions most of the time and a match engine that mimicks a real match. Eidos are working on the core gameplay of Championship Manager and they will breathing down SI's neck in a couple of years if the don't pull their finger out.

What I think has happened is that SI have got in the same mindset that EA did with FIFA, putting in meaningless, pointless features like press conferences, pitch sizes, editors for your own leagues, just because of a lack of competition and because no matter what people will always buy FM, FIFA turned to pot as Pro Evo shot on and became the best footie sim ever. EA learned their lesson and started focusing the core gameplay just as Konami rested on their laurels thinking FIFA didn't stand a chance, FIFA turned brilliant as Pro Evo turned rubbish, SI need to stop looking at new features, we don't need press conferences, we don't need our own leagues or a 3D engine, we need the ability to talk to our players, a decent transfer system and our players to follow our instructions most of the time and a match engine that mimicks a real match. Eidos are working on the core gameplay of Championship Manager and they will breathing down SI's neck in a couple of years if the don't pull their finger out.

well said. i second this. :thup:

you're not the only one who thinks this. the only problem is you (and i) will both be shot down in flames now for this.

People dont get shot down in flame's for saying a game is too complicated. However ,They may get shot down in flame's if they call anybody who disagree's with them idiot's ,and say that the game is poor just because there struggling with it.

Im really enjoying FM10 and not having any of the issue's other people are complaining about.

wrong you don't need 3d ME due to personal preference

others do want it, needs tweaking that is all

but i agree with the rest of what you said

edit..... the poll we had on this forums (not so long ago) proved that the majority like and want the 3D ME to stay

Archived